T
looks like a bike ride for the summer

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Glad you stopped by to see yer Dad. I do it a couple times a year. I know it's just an empty body, but it's something special every time I do. Good on ya!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have one of his books on tape for my drive next week.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice pics, Steelie, and a worthwhile trip. Always good to remember who and where we came from.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
In highs school in the 60's I tried to read a book a day. My mom had purchased the Zane Grey collection. I read every one of his novels between 1968 and 1969. Been a long time but a couple of my favorites were about Lewis Wetzel or "Death Wind" as the indians called him and his exploits. Talk about a vocabulary, reading those novels really helped my vocabulary scores on the ACT. I can still remember someone in all his books was giving a "stentorian" yell.
GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reminder. Bout time to drop by and visit my Dad in a similar place. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have it on good authority that Scott loves eels. He'll probably be back.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott,
Good on ya for visting your father.Most folks never do that.

If you ever get the chance,read "Hell I Was There" by Elmer Keith.He has a full write up of a very long (1-2 months)hunt that he guided Zane Grey and a large party on in Idaho in either the 20's or 30's.Elmer didn't think much of Grey,but that might have been influenced by the fact that Grey stiffed Elmer on his pay for the hunt.It's an interesting story though,and Grey used some of the experiences in his novel "Thunder Mountain".

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seen Greys home on Catalina Island, he lead a life dreams are made of.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Off the southern pacific coast of Panama there is a place called Zane Grey's Reef. It is likely the best bill fishing anywhere on the planet. If you are following Zane Grey around, I highly recommend this spot. I've been there 7 or 8 times and never been disappointed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waaaaaaay, cool!!!

You back home, as of yet? Tried to call the other night but it went to VM.

Safe travels!

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Beautiful pictures I may have to visit one day, even though I�ve never been a Zane Grey fan. His books seem to me to be written by a woman. Everything seems to be over dramatized. I have loved Louis Lamoure books since I read the first to the last one. For a few years in my youth I was absolutely convinced Zane Grey was a pen name for some woman.

Joel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya
a couple of my favorites were about Lewis Wetzel or "Death Wind" as the indians called him and his exploits.GWB

Betty Zane was one of them...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
Beautiful

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
I used to fish there, just up the Lackawaxen a little way from the Zane Grey bridge. One day I was trying to catch some rising fish and I could feel something brushing against my leg. I looked down and there was a steady migration of eels going upstream. Not what I expected while trout fishing. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

I've been eel'in a couple times with a friend a ways up stream of where the pic was taken.
Eel'in consists of walking upstream with 5 or six guys in line carrying Coleman lanterns in one hand and a pronged spear in the other. Pretty neat what fish, snappers, and critters you run across. Those eels are will still twitch in the morning after filleting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a picture of his cabin on the Rogue. Not quite as spacious as his East Coast house, but the neighborhood is hard to beat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never even thought to try and catch one. Are they good eating? I assume they come all the way up from the Atlantic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zane Grey had a cabin up in Payson Arizona too. Almost twenty years ago there was a big wildfire out here called the Dude fire and tragically burned the cabin down. They have rebuilt the cabin in a park in town now. Its still really cool. You wouldn't believe the amount of Zane Grey stuff in the town too.
http://www.zanegreycabin.org/index.htm

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
I never even thought to try and catch one. Are they good eating? I assume they come all the way up from the Atlantic.

They are pretty good smoked. Was a thing my friend grew up doing and likes to keep the tradition going. You have to have prongs very close together on your spear, about like a stone rake or they get through.
I don't know if they come up from the Atlantic or are just there all the time.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,896
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.