Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a Kahr PM9, when I take it to the range and rent a glock 19 and both are shooting the same kind of ammuntion the PM9 is just as accurate as the bigger pistol, maybe even more accurate. I think the trigger is better on the Kahr, it has such a smooth pull with a surprise let off at the end while the Gock 19 just seems to stack a lot then hang and then bang. Right now people are buying Glock 19's as fast as they can find them due to worries about pistol rationing in the future. I don't know if they are buying the Kahrs this fast because the Kahrs are like $800 dollars or something. I wanted a bigger pistol than the PM9 but do I want the $500.00 Gock perfection pistol such as the G19 or do I want a Kahr TP9. I would want to use this for both concealed carry and as a home defense gun. Usually with either gun I can shoot 6 bullets into a 4 inch circle at 15 feet before you can say Peter Peter pumkin eater had a wife and couldn't keep her. But then also I know a guy that for $100.00 will make the Glock trigger much much better, he works on competition guns,the triggers are better than a single action 1911 style .45ACP. He says not to carry them inside the waste band without a holster because you can shoot part of your butt off. What should I do, get the perfect pistol and a $100 trigger job is the cheapest but I am confused in Georgia.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Don't overlook the G26. That'd be my 1st choice....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
But then also I know a guy that for $100.00 will make the Glock trigger much much better, he works on competition guns,the triggers are better than a single action 1911 style .45ACP. He says not to carry them inside the waste band without a holster because you can shoot part of your butt off. What should I do, get the perfect pistol and a $100 trigger job is the cheapest but I am confused in Georgia.

IMO, the kind of trigger job I think you are referring to is best left to a competition gun, not a carry gun.

The Glock trigger can be improved from bone stock and still keep it at 4.5 lb and fairly crisp.

I happen to think that's plenty good for a carry/SD gun with a Glocks' mechanics.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you like the trigger better on the Kahr, the TP9 might be the way to go. I like Kahrs but prefer the steel frames myself. The plastic Kahrs tend to slap my trigger finger. I'm not tryin to flame you here but if your shooting the PM9 as fast as a G19, you need more practice with the Glock trigger. Between the trigger reset and the recoil dynamics, the 19 is a whole lot faster. Keep your grip high and only let the trigger return to reset before the next shot. A little practice and I bet you could almost double your rounds on target in the same time. There is your "perfection" for ya! smirk
BTW, please don't carry either one in your pants without a decent holster. Neither have manual safeties or long, heavy trigger pulls.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Jimmy in our Humid South i'd buy the glock and not think twice.I can't support a religous cult and i won't support a traitor so i don't own kahr's or smith&wesson's.Hardheaded redneck attitude? perhaps but that's how i feel.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Most either don't know about the short trigger reset or they don't practice it enough to make that attribute......an attribute.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I think I know what you are talking about regards the trigger reset! How Kahr seems to make a better trigger than the Glock is a mystery. I guess if you need 15-17 rounds the Glock is the way to go. A flat pistol and 8-9 rounds probably makes a better carry gun, but then Glocks will always be popular due to high capacity and the name.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Kahrs are generally easier to carry. They are smaller. With the TP9 though, your basically similar in size to the 19, except for the thickness. Do you carry IWB?

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
yes IWB! The Glocks are real thick, add another 1/4 inch thickness for the holster sides and its a 1.5 inch thick pistol carry! I am simply amazed at the little Kahr PM9. It is actually with its trigger pull more accurate than most G19's I have shot. One of my friends has a G19 with a titanium striker and the 3.5 pound trigger thingy, this gun is easier to shoot and more accurate in my hands. I bet its more comfortable to carry a commander sized 1911 over the glocks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like the TP9 is just what your looking for. As for the Commander, BTDT a couple times. There's no flies on them. They carry well but I like the lighter weight of the G19. Thickness is an issue but thinner holsters like the Watch-Six compensate a bit for that. Glocks are thicker than the Kahrs but so is everything else. If your looking for a slim, double stack, poly 9mm, take a look at the SR9.

IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I wonder if the Kahr will hold up as well as a Glock 19? The range Glocks have seen many thousands of rounds, one is even a Gen 1 model and it is the one I usually rent due to the smooth grip. Its hard to say how long a Kahr TP or PM9 will hold up because most ranges don't rent them.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Why do we all buy Glocks when there are other good pistols out there?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Glocks might be my personal favorite for defensive uses but I own and enjoy many others. I would think most Glock fans feel the same way, at least the ones I know do. They have a lot going for them as a defensive tool but they aren't for everyone. A lot of us that buy Glocks also buy 1911s, Sigs, S&Ws and so on. You seem to be enamored with the Kahrs, not a bad choice at all and maybe a better one for you. I kinda get the feeling your trying to get me to say that Glocks are the best. Some of them are...for me. Except for a few "perfection" repetitions, your original post seemed like a genuine interest in some opinions. If that's so, I hope I helped a little. If you really just wanted to whip up a Glock owner bashing thread, I"ll leave you to it and spend time on other subjects.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
No just wondering if a Kahr would last as long as a Glock, sometimes you want to buy something that lasts a lifetime and although I have one copy of a kahr that seems to be reliable, I have more information on the longevity of the Glocks

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by nyagwai
I'm not tryin to flame you here but if your shooting the PM9 as fast as a G19, you need more practice with the Glock trigger.
I would challenge that. The Kahr trigger is much like that of a well tuned double action revolver, and I've seen experts with double action revolvers shoot accurately with them at approximately the rate of a machine gun. No way to improve on that level of speed by switching to a Glock trigger. Take a look at this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3fgduPdH_Y

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by nyagwai
BTW, please don't carry either one in your pants without a decent holster. Neither have manual safeties or long, heavy trigger pulls.
Again, the Kahr trigger is, in this repect, like that of a double action revolver. Although I also recommend holster carry for any handgun.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I bet its more comfortable to carry a commander sized 1911 over the glocks
It absolutely is.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've seen the revolver shooters like Jerry Michelak shooting. They are incredibly fast with them. I have yet to see anyone shoot a Kahr that fast. The trigger is revolver-like but the samples I've shot (more than a couple) were nothing like a well tuned revolver. The ergonomics of the Kahr's grip don't allow a higher hold with more leverage on the trigger as with a revolver. Combined with the slower reset, increased muzzle flip and felt recoil, I'd put a large bet on the majority of shooter's shooting the G19 much faster, accurately than with the PM9.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I bet its more comfortable to carry a commander sized 1911 over the glocks
It absolutely is.

That's subjective. I've carried both quite a bit. IWB, 1911 is thinner. Weight? G19 wins. The butt of the grip is also shorter and more rounded. I prefer that and I hate the feel of bobtails. G19 is more comfortable to carry...for me. I ain't rippin on 1911s, I luv 'em!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry jimmyp, wasn't trying to come across hostile if I did. I have no I idea how long a Kahr will last but they are fine quality pistols that should hold up for a good long time. I bet you'd have more fun if you actually get to wear it out, though! I hope I get the chance to wear out every gun I own and many more before my time is up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,091
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.