Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Just2L Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
First off I have a Savage 110 270 lefty. It's probably 15yrs old or so there is some wear on it. Any idea what the value of the gun would be?

Next I am interested in the Howa 1500 or a Tikka T3. I have come to love my 270 so the chamber won't change. I don't know much about the Howa rifles.

I do know that when handling the Tikka I was amazed at how easy the action worked to say the least.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

HR IC

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A shop near here had 10-12 used Savage 110's in 30-06 and 7-mag, wood stocks, RH, priced between $225 and $250. A couple were sold in the fall. The rest are still there.

Bruce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gunbroker.com

I've found that doing a search there for specific makes of firearms helps more than anything else when looking for gun values. Search both on-going and completed auctions.

Black Cows Matter!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
buy the Tikka T3 you will love it, I got one and now have sold most of my older rifles and purchased 4 more T3's.

I while back the LH were cheap on gunbroker but seem to be the same as rh models now. I have beenlooking for a deal on a LH model for my kid brother.

Ted
J
Just2L Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Definitely leaning towards the Tikka but I had never heard of Howa rifles until I was in a Scheels store a couple of weeks ago. They seemed like a decent gun but one can never tell in the store. Was hoping I could find out if they are a reliable, accurate gun.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Vanguard, which is a Howa with a touch of Weatherby glorification. Good guns.

But...

Having spent some time at the range with the Tikka T3 Lite, I'd have to favor it. They are just one sweet little rifle in just about every respect, not the least of which is accuracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Howa is a good servicable rifle, but I also would reccomend the tikka t3 lite. I have one in 30-06 and cannot believe how slick the action, how crisp the trigger, or how accurate the rifle. It does have a plastic trigger guard, but that is a small price to pay for the rest of the package. I have not touched my trigger as it is 3 pounds on the scale, and breaks like glass. It can be adjusted down with the supplied allen wrench, but I see no need for my preference. The 270 is full length of the long action, so it appropriate for the rifle.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might want to check out one of the new Savage "Classic American" models 114: http://www.savagearms.com/114AmerClassic.htm

I just picked up a mdl. 14 and it is a great looking gun with walnut stock, jeweled bolt, and a quality high luster blue. I think you would be amazed at the quality improvements in the new Savage rifles and they have become synonymous for accuracy. Plus they are made here in the US and support our gun industry not a foreign company.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Both the Tikka and any of the Howa derivations are good rifles.Both are good shooters as well. The Howas tend to be a bit heavy, but otherwise excellent.
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Both the Tikka and any of the Howa derivations are good rifles.Both are good shooters as well. The Howas tend to be a bit heavy, but otherwise excellent.
Ingwe

Based on the two Vanguards I have and my shooting buddy's Tikka, I can do a big amen to what you said.
His Tikka out of the box shot 4 groups at 100 yards that measured 1/4" for three shots; in a 22-250 chambering.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Trigger--Tikka wins
Weight---Tikka wins
Accuracy--Tikka probably wins
Action smoothness--Tikka wins

No brainer if you ask me.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I owned a Howa that I gave to one of my sons, and don't have any complaints. It was my knock around rifle that spent lots of time strapped to my pack, strapped on a pack saddle or carried in a scabbard. It took a fall or two and lots of beatings, and it held up just fine. ...I don't own a Tikka, but from what I've read about them for the past couple of years, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they had what I'm looking for.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got a 7mm RM Howa and a newly purchased T3 Lite SS .308. I haven't even gotten the Tikka afield yet as it was a post season purchase.

I have no real complaint about the Howa but it is a bit heavy. Accuracy was fine but not outstanding. I said "was" as I had my gun guru restock it, glass bed it and put a trigger job on it. It shoots quite well now. For that reason I have to go by what it was then, which is a good rifle for the money by any measurement I know.

Ah the Tikka. That is an AWFULLY nice rifle for what they want for it. I wasn't a fan of the stock rings supplied (though many use them without complaint) and threw some Dednutz rings. Light, slick, accurate.

I'm not about to badmouth the Howa's but unless you get just a screaming deal on one I'd have to push you towards the Tikka.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried to get the Dednutz for a Tikka.

I called them directly (which is another story unto itself...) and was referred to a sporting goods shop back east who is supposed to be their dealer in Canada...so I phoned them and, naturally, they never heard of Dednutz. In fact, he thought I was kidding him...and I'm not making this up!

"Dead...Nuts????"

"Yes, they're scope mounts."

"Just a second...(Yells across the store...) Hey, Marv! Do we sell Dead Nuts??? What??? They're some kind of scope mounts! No, I'm not kidding! ... Sorry, Sport, never heard of 'em. Dead Nuts you say? You sure about that???"

"Seriously. Hey, no problem. Thanks anyway."

I went with Burris Signatures.

smile

Last edited by sir_springer; 02/18/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where do you want your dollars to go?

Japan or Finland/Italy

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know where Bigstick wouldn't want his dollars to go laugh

Buy the T3, damn nice rifle... I'll definately be adding another someday when the money gods smile upon my broke Irish ass...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
T
T
Might want to visit 1st Stop in Rapid City. They have the best
deals I've found on guns, reasonable prices and knowledgeable
staff.

The Tikka T3 is a sweatheart. I own one in a 308 Win and it's
a tack-driver.

If you plan of selling that old Savage 110L, PM me.
I'm interested.

J
Just2L Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Well it sounds like the Tikka is the way to go from what everyone is saying.

Travel47 I will keep you in mind.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Just2L
Definitely leaning towards the Tikka but I had never heard of Howa rifles until I was in a Scheels store a couple of weeks ago. They seemed like a decent gun but one can never tell in the store. Was hoping I could find out if they are a reliable, accurate gun.

Well, you may already have your mind made up, but have you seen the new Savage American Classics? They have smoothened the barrel nut and moved the bolt release from the side of the action to just in front of the trigger guard. These are asthetic changes that make a huge difference in appearance. I spoke to a Savage rep and they intend to start offering stainless with these changes this year as well. I just bought the American Classic in .308 lefty. Pretty nice.

Attached Images
12319-SavAmerClassic308LH.jpg (81.73 KB, 61 downloads)
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
If they offered the american classic with the oil finish like they put on the euro classic, I'd be all over it.

All over it!!

Like a leg hound I tells ya, dry humpin away with my tongue hangin out... dog smile & everything!! all over it!!

Do you hear me Savage?????!!! laugh

Something clever here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 204guy, 219DW, 12344mag, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,230
Posts18,504,336
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.