Print Thread
Hop To
Page 134 of 1,842 1 2 132 133 134 135 136 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
hey big Gravy, wow that's cool. that 77/22 is one serious rimfire, nothing toyish about it. And the FX4 loopy, very nice scopes, classy set up for sure. Very nicely done.

I hope to be as lucky as you when my daughter reaches that age.

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool gift. A 77/22 is what I would like to get someday, but the used prices around here are $450-550. So it will be a while. They are a damn fine hunting .22 IMO.

You're right, those little girls know how to hook their daddy's. Even when they're 27. smile

T

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
She and her husband will be providing us with the ultimate gift the first part of April...our first grandchild. Her mother and I can hardly wait!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Gravy, Grandkids are the greatest. You can spoil the heck out of them then send them back to their parents. We had a pleasant surprise this morning. Our 4 year old grandson called us. Told his mom he wanted to call Papa Bill and Grandma Judy. He's out in Portland so we only get to see him a couple of times a year.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My mom LIVES to be a grandma. She is retiring this May, a few years early, so she can spend time with her grandkids.

I've never seen somebody so excited about kids as grandparents. Congrats to you MMgravey on becoming a grandpa. Spoil that little bugger as much as you want. smile My kids could murder someone in my Mom's living room and she would think it was cute. I couldn't even eat in there. smile

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
That 77/22 is one fine looking rifle. I also like the 77/22 Hornet and the 77/44 would be the cats A$$ for deer hunting in the woods. Nice guns for sure!

I have a Ruger MKII Stainless .22 pistol and now I'm thinking of getting a .44 Mag to use for deer hunting. (I haven't shot a deer with a pistol yet) I have not researched them much so would like some opinions. I am kind of a Ruger guy so I'm leaning toward the Super Redhawk or Blackhawk but I'm also open to the Smiths or even Taurus. Any suggestions or experiences with the 44? What is the difference between the redhawk and blackhawk? I'm even open to different calibers.

Edit - It just dawned on me and I think the Redhawk is double action and blackhawk is single action. Correct?

Last edited by Rooster7; 02/19/09.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
My kids could murder someone in my Mom's living room and she would think it was cute.

grin

I can think of a few "test" people we can try that theory out on!

grin

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I had a sweet little 77/44. Sold it of course. It wasn't the greatest in the accuracy dept. but at the 25-50 yds it was going to be used at, it would have been fine.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
congratulations mmgravy, that's great news.

on another note, our little guy goes to school once a week (learning readiness or "preschool")

thursdays are his day of the week. he woke up this morning & demanded he go to school. Pam said he was doing very well so she let him go with instructions to the teacher that he is not to go outside & to call her at work with any concerns & she will leave work & go get him.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like Preacher is back in the game! Prolly some cute little girly in school he just had to see. I bet he offers her a bite of his puddin' drenched corn dog now and then.

I have a Marlin SS 880? 8-something I think. It is ok in the accuracy department is all. I was a little disappointed to be honest. I thought it should drill tacks, but it doesnt. I will need to get a kids .22 pretty soon. But if I get a regular colored one, I could re-issue it to the boys in a few years. That sounds like a good plan. Having 2 boys (twins), it is gonna get a mite expensive in the firearm department.

Have any of you bought lifetime hunting and/or fishing licenses for your kids? I bought Lauren the lifetime sportsmans one. Prolly will get that and the deer hunting on for the boys...again X2!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I love those lifetime liscenses. That is a great gift for a kid that likes the outdoors.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good to hear Preacher is doing better. I hope my little guy likes going to school. I think that is going to be a battle with him. He seems to be a lot like his old man. I hope not, at least in that department.

Real good to hear he's better. That pneumonia is scary scary stuff sometimes.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Rooster7
That 77/22 is one fine looking rifle. I also like the 77/22 Hornet and the 77/44 would be the cats A$$ for deer hunting in the woods. Nice guns for sure!

I have a Ruger MKII Stainless .22 pistol and now I'm thinking of getting a .44 Mag to use for deer hunting. (I haven't shot a deer with a pistol yet) I have not researched them much so would like some opinions. I am kind of a Ruger guy so I'm leaning toward the Super Redhawk or Blackhawk but I'm also open to the Smiths or even Taurus. Any suggestions or experiences with the 44? What is the difference between the redhawk and blackhawk? I'm even open to different calibers.

Edit - It just dawned on me and I think the Redhawk is double action and blackhawk is single action. Correct?

"Correct"

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rooster7,You cannot do better then a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 magnum for deer hunting.I use a 7-1/2" barrel topped with a BSA 2X scope.I back it up with a rifle,usually a Ruger .44 carbine but sometimes something else but my main hunting weapon is the Super Redhawk.In my estimation this is one of the finest handguns ever made.
Dave,I am glad the birthday boy is all better.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks Stan! I figured if anybody had experience with hand guns for deer it would be you. I don't have much experience with them but I have always heard good things about the Ruger .44's, especially the SRH. Another one I was kind of looking at was the S & W 629 Mountain Gun but that sounds like its more of a backup weapon in case of a bear attack etc. I don't really need to worry about that............unless of course I'm hunting with Dave. But then I would need a shotgun because the bears that Preacher see's around there are on the wing.

grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
know what I'm gonna do tomorrow?

I'm gonna sleep till about 9 in the morning shocked

from there, we'll just go which ever way the wind blows us but I'm starting out with some sleep first. grin

mmmmm, sleeeeeeep, I can't wait.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Rooster,

I've never hunted deer with a handgun, but I can tell you I'm fond of the S&W 629. Saying that, I don't own one of those either, but have shot it a lot. Very cool gun.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm working on our basement. Hanging some doors, painting some doors, trimming out some doors...anyone see a pattern here. grin I'm really starting to hate doors.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though, not very bright, but a light none the less.

Last night I went to Gander to check out shotgun scopes, and .22lr's, and bought a friggin deer rifle. crazy

A freshly traded Rem. M7 6mm Rem. It is the older style, walnut/blue, with a 18 1/2" barrel. Should be a fun little gun, a step up from the .22 for the kids....yeah, that's the story I'm gonna use. grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wow nice find

realistically i won't sleep past 7 tomorrow morning but sleeping till 7AM sounds pretty dang good grin

i don't know what I'll do with the weekend.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It is supposed to be nice here. Sunday we are hauling kids to sports, but Saturday will be keeping mama happy day. That should make the rest of the week go a little better. smile

Page 134 of 1,842 1 2 132 133 134 135 136 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.