Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gregdoo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I bought a Bushnell Holosight (no magnification) from a 'fire member a while back, planning to mount it on a home defense shotgun. Haven't done it yet. Am planning a Texas wild pig hunt and they recommend an illuminated scope for limited-light shooting. Most shots are 70-100 yards. I'm wondering if I would be just fine using the Holosight on my rifle, or if I should indeed be buying an illuminated scope for the hunt.

Thanks for your thoughts.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had clients ask that question.

No, it is not a good idea. Here is why:

1) Scope not only magnifies image but also enhances it. Hollowsight does neither. Accurate shooting in low light is not aided.

2) Scope illuminations are mostly set up for low light. Hollowsights are set up for daylight. Thus will be overly bright at night. Even if your sight has a low enough setting, 1) still applies.

3) Dot size at distance needs to be checked. Depending on model it covers 2MOA/4MOA at 100 yards. Check that in the field under the conditions you want to use the sight. Most likely you will find it covering to much.

Test it on paper. It does not work. I very much doubt, your outfitter will let you use it for the purpuse. I do not let my clients use it for low light. Means to many chances blown, to much quality time for my tracking dog and me.
We use hollosights and aimpoints a lot for driving wild boar and deer. But really, not for low light.

Get a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x50 with FireFly Reticle, if you want to be serious but cost concious.

Works.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

G
Gregdoo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
cmg,

Thanks a bunch for the detailed answer. I'll take your experienced advice.

Greg

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'll agree with cmg when it comes to shooting after dark. From my own experiences in Texas hog hunting, I shot them when the sun was up or just after it set with a Holosight on a 500 and 460 S&W and on a 50 Cal Beowulf. Several were in the trees and I had no issues regarding the reticle. None were shot after dark and Texas does not have the "deep dark" forests other areas do.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 300_savage, 37L1, Anaconda, 11 invisible), 16,788 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,196
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.