Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking about selling my Oehler 35. Bought in 2002 and only used maybe 5 or 6 times.

Saw an eBay auction for a 35P go for $665. I'm missing one part - the tripod adaptor (RMC rail to a tripod) I'm guessing this is a rare commodity nowadays as they don't sell them private anyone. I bought this direct from Oehler.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the RMC rail?

If it is the same EMT rail that they sent me with mine, all it takes is a beam clamp for the adapter.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know what they are selling for these days on the used market but for my self the one I own is priceless! Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why don't you PM Ken Oehler and ask him?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd sell my 35P for $665 in a nanosecond. Le$$ might take me a bit longer to decide. Like new, no missing part, extra sky screens IIRC, many extra rolls of read-out paper.

Makes me wonder what my complete Model 43 system is worth � again, like new, no missing part, some extras � records velocities, pressures, groups on laptop computer. Extra laptop, too.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a 35P I gave away. It was the second worst excuse for a chronograph topped only by the Shooting Chrony.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 4xbear
I don't know what they are selling for these days on the used market but for my self the one I own is priceless! Bear

And worth every penny!

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
As a working tool, the value of any electronic equipment is only above zero as long as you can get spare parts for it (or you hope it never breaks and needs any).

Dr. Oehler is a very good and honest individual but he looks to me to be at least 65. The 35P is no longer made and he says he will still service them. But for how long?

Eventually it becomes impossible to buy electronic parts and the item has to be redesigned. I doubt this will happen with the 35P.

Further, the heart of the 35P is a purchased printer, no longer made. This is probably not a repairable item.

So...right now, I would not pay any more for a 35P than for a Shooting Chrony, and I could consider both to be throw away items. Back when the 35P was in active production, I thought it might be worth twice as much as this. Probably the reason it is no longer made is that most buyers didn't think this.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've got one with the longer rail and two tripods, I don't see any reason to sell it, I love the printer function.

Kind of sucks they quit making them.

Spot

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Love my 35P; don't plan on selling it. I'm older than Dr. Oehler, so maybe I'm safe on spare parts if required!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except for the printer, which makes a Model 35 a Model 35-P, parts and service will probably continue to be available for a long time.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reason the 35 and 35P are no longer made has been explained several times here. Dr. Oehler is too successful selling chronographs to the military, he simply doesn't have time to devote to the civilian handloader market anymore.

My 35 isn't for sale at any price short of enough to pay off my mortgage. I went through too many other brands and got tired of velocity readings of "Err" or no reading at all. Got so frustrated with a Pact model one day I disassembled it with a cylinderful of 220 WFNGC's from a .41 Mangum. That was a very good use of #2 alloy IMO.

My Oehler has given me years and years of reliable service and I expect it to last for many more years.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ken:

Do you have the acoustic target with your 43? I certainly enjoy using my basic 43 (velocity and pressure). I also have an older 33 that works great for quick trips to check velocity only.

Logger

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

So what compares with a Oehler 35 P today ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger
Ken:

Do you have the acoustic target with your 43? �

Yep.

Wonderful module. Very versatile. Highly recommended.

I also have the long-range amplifier (usable to 1,200 yards, IIRC) but no cable for it.

"Good enough" isn't.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F

I think you should ask Reloder28 that question... He seems to be the minority that found the Oehler 35 wanting so he must have a good idea what is much better.

"We deal in lead - friend"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I don't know how they compare, but if I were to have to replace my 35 today, I would take a long, hard look at a CED millenium II.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That CED unit looks pretty good. If you want an advanced (and more expensive) unit take a look at the PVM-21 on the neconos site. This one interfaces with QuickLoad/QuickTarget software.

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
As a working tool, the value of any electronic equipment is only above zero as long as you can get spare parts for it (or you hope it never breaks and needs any).

Dr. Oehler is a very good and honest individual but he looks to me to be at least 65. The 35P is no longer made and he says he will still service them. But for how long?

Eventually it becomes impossible to buy electronic parts and the item has to be redesigned. I doubt this will happen with the 35P.

Further, the heart of the 35P is a purchased printer, no longer made. This is probably not a repairable item.

So...right now, I would not pay any more for a 35P than for a Shooting Chrony, and I could consider both to be throw away items. Back when the 35P was in active production, I thought it might be worth twice as much as this. Probably the reason it is no longer made is that most buyers didn't think this.

The current prices for M35's are ludicrous--but I don't blame somebody for selling one at those prices! grin

I have come close to buying a second M35 for a "backup", but what is going to go wrong with mine? (well, other than bad aim cry )

I have two buddies with the CED M2's, and they are the equivalent of my M35......I'd buy two brand new M2's before I would pay the current prices of used M35's........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bad aim will do the trick!

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.