Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
"Abomination" is a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

You new here? grin Hyperbolic vitriol seems to be the way here at times frown

I'll reiterate. It's all good, choose your your way and enjoy it. I have no interest in baiting bears, deer hunting with dogs, hunting a high fence or sitting next to a feeder. If you do, more power to you.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It all depends on the terrain and the size of the fenced acreage. If I put a bunch of deer into one of my pastures going a couple of hundred acres and high fenced it, it might not be that sporting. By the same token, if I fenced in an acre of one my 7 year old pine plantations, I probably wouldn't see a deer in there if I hunted it a month straight unless he screwed up.

I've never hunted anywhere where there is a high fence. Some seem pretty bad. But, I think if the acreage and the terrain is right the only advantage one would have in a high fenced operation is the absolute certainty that game is in the area being hunted. That certainty would tend to keep one on the stand longer and result in more success.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Righto, old chap!

The only expense difference in Idaho hunting and Texas hunting is the lease fee.....and the heavy clothing. I prefer private property, you only have to deal with the landowner, not the govt.

I wouldn't be surprised if O thought of a way to raise a few bucks with charging for the right to hunt on BLM property. Er, not a bad idea if you ask me.....why should anyone hunt on land they don't own for free? (see where this can go?)

OOPS.....we better stick together.

All American

All the time
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm more for high fence hunting than no fence private land hunting. The guys who lease/buy land, set up feeders and food plots to draw in and hold game from public land, are chicken [bleep], IMO. They are screwing others, for their own success. If you want your own "private game", grow your own...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've never hunted a high fence either Joe. My rant was spurred by the ignorant arrogance of some of our members who think that their way is the only way, and that they are superior. They're fools, and will be the downfall of our sport. All the while, believing in their little heads, that they are the last of a dying breed.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vitriolic would be a good screen name for at least one member of the Lone Star state.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, all private land should be nationalized?

Not me, I don't care how you hunt, or if you hunt with a hot or cold chamber.....

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've never hunted a high fence either Joe. My rant was spurred by the ignorant arrogance of some of our members who think that their way is the only way, and that they are superior. They're fools, and will be the downfall of our sport. All the while, believing in their little heads, that they are the last of a dying breed.

correct

All American

All the time
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Stan V

Not me, I don't care how you hunt, or if you hunt with a hot or cold chamber.....

I didn't say a thing about nationalizing.. I said that guys who feed the PUBLIC game to keep it on their property, thus screwing the other guy, are chicken [bleep]....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Stan V

I didn't say a thing about nationalizing.. I said that guys who feed the PUBLIC game to keep it on their property, thus screwing the other guy, are chicken [bleep]....

I understood what you said....anyone keeping your public game from you by feeding?

AND by the way, if you feel this strongly about PUBLIC GAME, imagine what a property owner thinks about PUBLIC GAME....he's feeding 'em year round. How much in property taxes do you pay?

Last edited by Stan V; 02/22/09.

All American

All the time
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for the most part my view on high fence hunting is: your land, your rules.........

an area where i get a tad ticked is around here some land owners only allow hunting to a select few hunt during the season than after the season closes they cry to F&G that deer are eating all their hay and get special game damage hunts for their property for individuals to shoot does......yet when i approach these land owners during the regular season to shoot some does they say no....there is something a tad [bleep] with that.......i know in some of the areas on the other side of the state some of the elk and such move down into the valleys after the season closes and thats different....but when the same number of deer were on his property during the season as after....well if he aint going to let those of us willing to take does on his land then he shouldnt get a special damage control hunt after....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I live in the middle of the tongass national forest..

I've seen the cocky guys on tv time and time again talking about food plots and feeders "adjacent" to public land.. I just shake my head.

Can you see how drawing public game on your "private" property, screws the guy hunting public game on public land? Surely you can....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calvin, how large is a deer's home range? If you know that, then you know that food plots are for the deer in the immediate area....not to draw deer from Alaska to Texas.

How wrong would you think I am if I said you should be paying for the privilege to hunt on that public land?

All American

All the time
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You do have to pay. It costs $8.00. Not a bad deal IMO.

Travis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You are avoiding my point. IF you want private deer, put up a fence and grow your own.

Screwing the other guy for your hunting success is Chicken [bleep], IMO. If that's how YOU need to succeed, then justify it in your own mind.

Just know that I give more props to the 20 y/o kid with a fork in the horn buck on public land than the guy who feeds public deer to keep them away with from others and scores a 150" whitetale.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My friend and I talked about this a couple weeks ago while we having one of our BS sessions over good Gin. We both have generally been of the thinking that preserve hunting should be considered shooting not hunting and should not be respected. I guess in some cases this could be true. For instance someone who shoots exotics on a preserve where you pick an animal out of a box stall and they lead it into a pen in the barn yard and you shoot it should be looked down upon. On the other hand Many of these hunting preserves have hundreds, sometimes thousands of acres to actually pursue game. For someone like me who has hunted 1oo acre farm lots all his life, and not being able to wander off of that farm because of property lines, the opportunity to chase game even on a fenced in area of four or five hundred acres is something I am entirely new to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, the complaint isn't the lease fee itself, but the amount. hehe

I see the same problem with hunting as with the housing market....impatient lot we've become.

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Screwing the other guy for your hunting success is Chicken [bleep], IMO. If that's how YOU need to succeed, then justify it in your own mind.

Have you ever hunted any place but Alaska or in the western states?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For me that's the complaint. It bars many folks from being able to introduce their kids to hunting. Which will limit our numbers. Which will limit our strength.

I know I'm off topic. Sorry.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Gee Stan, why don't you just buy a couple acres in some of our states huge national forests or BLM lands? I didn't realize it was that easy.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (25aught6, 22kHornet, 222ND, 10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 65 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,379
Posts18,527,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.