Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mortre Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I've been a shooter for a long time, and would like to learn some gunsmithing. So I am thinking of getting a milsurp mauser of some sort as a project rifle. However, I am not really up to speed on the mauser actions out there as far as which are junk and what is too good for a novice to work on LOL. What I would like in the end is a knock about rifle. Something short, fairly light (under 8 pounds scoped) and minute of deer to 300 yards. Kind of like a scout rifle. Probably 7x57 or 6.5x55 to keep alterations minimal or none for feeding reliability. A working rifle, I know I will never get the money back out of it in the end so I want something I can use and be proud of because it works, and I "made" it. So please offer your suggestions. I am thinking a M48 Yogo mauser sounds like my best bet at this point. But I know there are a lot of other good, cheap milsurp rifles out there.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
a swedish 96 is a quality gun, well made and good steel. much better than a spanish 93 or spanish 1916. in terms of quality. the swedish barreled action with a very good to escellent bore should be accurate. you can learn bolt forging or welding on a new handle, drilling and tapping for scope mounts or peep sight and stock inletting using a semi finished wood stock. maybe checkering too. there are some gunsmithing accessories out there for the 96. not as much as for a 98, however. new 96 swedish barrel are out there too - check with sarco good luck with it!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A vz-24, especially the early models, would be my choice. Lot of em around at reasonable prices.
Get the book -Mauser bolt actions- it has a world of info.
Have fun

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
some of the yugos are intermediate actions and can be hard to find stocks for.

The turk 1939 actions are stout. Large Ring actions with Small ring barrel threads. I learned most of my tips and tricks on a 39turk I turned into a .308 varmint gun.

[Linked Image]

was alot of fun. bolt forging, drilling and tapping, bolt face and lug lapping, chambering, headspacing, inletting, bedding, on and on.

If you send me a PM I may be able to get you a complete turk action. I dunno what the price will be, but there are also barrels laying around from #6-#7 contour 308's, a 77 rem mag, or you can get an f14 contour 7x57 barrel from midway for $89

Last edited by Savage2005; 02/24/09.

NRA Life Member
M
mortre Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I like the idea of the 96. I wouldn't have to rebarrel. Just chop it down, restock, bend the handle and play with bedding and scope mounts and stuff. I'm leaning more toward the 7x57 though (elk in my neck of the woods). Are there any milsurp 7x57 aside from the 93/95 spanish ones? I read less than glamorous reviews about the strength of those actions. I'll look around and see if I can find that book locally. I have a feeling I would probably have to order it though.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 for the VZ24.....Its a 98 model with the third locking lug and cock on openning bolt.

The 96's will be a cock on closing and without that third lug.

The Vz24 will be a longer action than the 96 and would accomodate rebarreling to cartridges up to the 375HH size.

A VZ24 will most likely be found in either a 7-57 or a 8-57.

The vz24 would clearly be my first choice.

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A VZ24 would be a fine choice. You wouldn't have to heat treat the action in most cases. This is a savings over most other mausers.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would not put in any time or money on a cock on closing model.
JMHO

MM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Motre,

Unless you have an extensive library already, use this freebie:
http://books.google.com/books

Then book-search at top of page on "gunsmith"

M
mortre Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
There is actually a VZ24 in 8x57 at the local shop for $200 right now, but I would rather stick with the intermediate action length. I know you can't find as many parts, but something about sticking short rounds in long actions bugs me.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my 308 feeds and functions fine with only slight rail work.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mortre
...but I would rather stick with the intermediate action length. I know you can't find as many parts, but something about sticking short rounds in long actions bugs me.

The Mauser 98 (the vz24 is one) was designed by Herr Mauser to feed and function, under any condition, using cartridges in the 57mm family. Actually the magazine will need to be opened up a little to house a 30/06. A 7/57 is right at home in a 98.

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The vz24 is absolutely perfect for the 7x57 or 6.5x55. The only true intermediate actions are the mexicans and a few others but the price goes up substantialy and they have to be heat treated usually.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Savage sales just their actions, or you could find a used Rem 700 or Win 70 push feed cheap and canniblize just for the action and end up with a much better rifle, unless of course you are a Mauser fan.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A 7x57 or 6.5x55 is better suited in a mauser than a savage, remington or winchester. Also, if you are looking for a "do it yourself project" use a mauser.

ddj

M
mortre Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Definately a do it yourself thing. On top of that I would like to keep the receiver clean so I can use stripper clips. I am thinking of getting the 8x57 that is local and just leaving it that caliber. At least for now if it shoots with a the barrel that is in place. If it doesn't maybe going up instead of down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[I know there are a lot of other good, cheap milsurp rifles out there.]

Unless you plan on throwing it away at some point, do yourself a favor and ensure that you obtain a cock-on-opening Mauser 98 (1898) of some kind.

You will be miles ahead in the long run, as there are beau-coups aftermarket gunsmithing parts & sporter-type stocks available for them; and they are 4x more (re)sale-able than earlier cock-on-opening models - in addition to being safer for cartridge conversions, gas handling, etc.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by btb375
A vz-24, especially the early models, would be my choice. Lot of em around at reasonable prices.
Get the book -Mauser bolt actions- it has a world of info.
Have fun

I concur. These are very well made . I have two. One was used by me to build a rifle for the wildcat cartridge I designed with the RCBS program. It is a .416 based on the Rem Ultra Mag series. The case is cut at the shoulder and then necked down for the .416 bullet. Same overall length as the 30/06.

400 grn bullet at 2430 fps and 350 grn Barnes at 2640 fps.

I'm not bragging myself up here , I'm just trying to show you how good the Chech VZ24 action is.

Everything I say to you is a lie , and that is the truth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I picked up a Mexican Mauser in 7x57 a couple of days ago.
It has the cocking piece like an 03 Springfield, I have only
seen two of these, and I bought it right away when I saw
the cocking piece.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a lovely little Swede made up with a butter-knife bolt handle. It was a neat little rifle. Soon as it was done, I showed it to a friend. His eyes told me he really wanted one like it, so I gave it to him right then and there without ever firing it! Found another Swede...but can't bring myself to chop it up. They are just too nice as they are.

I know a guy who does a lot of Turks. Loves them. He does a nice job on them as well. They will probably be among the least expensive option to start with.

I have a Yugo 24/47 that I'm looking closely at. I'm thinking the day will come when it goes under the knife.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 270wsmnutt, 51 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,159
Posts18,523,475
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.