Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AKCUB,

Let us know how that works out for ya. How much are they gonna soak ya for a G6000 or 7000??

GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
AKCUB, I also count my ounces to the end and had the same concern about the MR CC. I can personally tell you though my CC with the top lid weighs exactly 8# 7.8 ounces, which is less than the Badlands 4500 by a couple of ounces. I have also found it carries the weight much better, so I can't tell the difference between 40 and 42 pounds at all or coming out with 68 or 70 pounds. But I don't think you can go wrong with the G Series packs either. Their solid in their construction also.

G
G
Because of the open nature of the CC (even with the lid), I am curious if there is a preferred or recommended rain cover for the CC? I don't recall seeing one on the MR site.

Thanks.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
There isn't one. The material though is very water repellent. I have also heard of guys using the dry bags by Sea to Summit to put gear in and then put it into the load cells. They weigh less than a half ounce. You could also use any generic back pack rain cover with it that has the elastic closure.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
AC,
I don't intend to hijack the topic, but what does Mystery Ranch offer that one of Barneys' packs does not?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its a different animal bw. The Barneys is a monster load hauler with some really cushy shoulder straps and waistbelt, but it in itself is not near the animal that a well designed internal is when we speak of hiking and backpacking and not just meat hauling. Theres some things that the Barneys is made for, and then there are things that the internals are made for. Why cant a guy have both?...grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh yes, the great "which pack should I take debate". Been thee, done that many times. Its all fun while the money lasts. Keep us posted on what you decide.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is another image of us packing in. My buddy has the Kifaru. I really dig his gun bearer. That's going to be my next purchase.

[Linked Image]

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
G
G
Sorry for the gratuitous comment, but I just received the CC (and three load cells) I'd been expecting (private transaction -- never used, like new) and now understand all of the raves about the MR gear.

Looking forward to getting it loaded and out, but I am very impressed about the design and build quality. As a tinkerer, I really like the flexibility this thing provides. Nice work, MR guys!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I picked up a set of 4 straps in their little kit. Got two 2-footers and two special cut 6 footers with female ends on both ends. I played with the ruck and think this is going to make a HUGE difference. I can now go straight up with my load and use the long straps to go from the frame bottom all the way across the top and then down to my shoulder straps creating my own load lifters st a downward angle. They just click right in and cinch em down. MR was very helpful and charged nothing to add two feet to the longer straps and change out the buckles to all female. Could not be happier with the rig now.

Mark, a good instructional CD with video would really be nice. The setup is not nearly as obvious as with a standard internal frame ruck.

I guess the next purchase will be the gun bearer for use with the crew cab. My buddy has the Kifaru one. I don't need quick access or anything, just a secure carrying system. Any suggestions on that?

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
IC B3

D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

My son used a Kifaru gun bearer with his CC last season. He had nothing but good things to say about it.

DJR

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used the Kifaru Gunbearer as well.......did a lot of hiking this year with my Cerberus and man it makes carryin your rifle handy....

Took a while to get used to and get it positioned how I like it....

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
So the Kifaru gunbearer can be used/fitted to other brands of packs?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Grunter
So the Kifaru gunbearer can be used/fitted to other brands of packs?

Sure can if you get the universal, I have used it on several different packs.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Another little custom mod I learned here on the 24hr site a while back is to add (2) female buckles on the bottom of the day pack of the CC. This allows the two straps from the bottom of the NICE frame to buckle in and create strapping for your sleeping pad or other gear on the bottom of the pack.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here it is!!!

One thought for those who are going to get a NICE w/ the crewcab. When using the CC there are two straps w/ male ends on the bttm of the frame that are not used w/ the CC. They suggest rolling them up and stuffing them away in between the frame and CC. If you could get MR to add two short female clips to the bttm of the CC bag on the outside you could use these straps to carry stuff like a pad, bag, etc. I did add two fem. clips to the loops on each corner and this does work. This little addon would be very useful. just a thought.--Allen--

a little tip take the tag end from each side of the belt and run it through the first bar on the three bar on the belt and know you have a forward pull to tighten your belt. Much better.--Allen--

Last edited by Tx Trapper; 03/01/09. Reason: added to it.
R
R
CrewCabs are really good backpacks im planning on using one this year sometime and they are really light i would recommend using this.

Dalton-OUT
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MysteryRanch
The 6500 is what I used for a 10 day Stone Sheep hunt w/ Bryan Martin of Canadian Mountain Outfitters this past August..... if you can't fit all of your gear in a 6500 bag, you might be taking too much stuff!

Have any pictures??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you buy the Kifaru Military Gun Bearer it attaches right to the straps of the MR belt.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (6MMWASP, Alan_C, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,499 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,887
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.