-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barkoff, you get used to a good long DA trigger pull and no safety. It really is... just like a revolver in that sense. Seems wierd at first and it's very hard to explain to non-gun people, so I don't even try (when they are talking about, for example, Plaxico Burress shooting his own leg...).

Ironically, I don't particularly like carrying a 1911 for the opposite reason. I've had the thumb safety come "off" in my Galco fanny pack in a day of hiking. That leaves the grip safety, and a generally quite light short trigger pull between that hammer and my primer. I dunno, I prefer the long decisive pull of a Kahr or the sort of sloppy 2-stage long pull of a Glock- for defensive work I mean.

I that makes no sense, I plead exhaustion. My Lab just had 12 pups over the last 15 hours or so. Whew.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nyagwai
The 20SF and 21SF have ambi mag releases. The 29SF and 30SF have single side mag releases.

Good catch - I didn't know that. It even seems the 21SF is available without an ambi mag release, so I'll go lay down by my dish now.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm hearing conflicting info on different sites regarding which models have single or double mag releases.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I'm hearing conflicting info on different sites regarding which models have single or double mag releases.

My 30SF has a single side mag release, my bud's 21SF has an ambi release. Like Hound & JOG were saying, there might be an option for the 21SF now. Strange thing is, my newer G19 and 17 mags all have the ambi cut on the mags and I haven't seen or heard of any ambi 19s or 17s. If you get a Glock with the ambi releases just be aware that the older mags won't work without some alterations.

Easy JOG, wasn't kicking ya. I just have a little more interest in Glocks, that's all. Just trying to be a little helpful.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You and me both.

One thing to consider though. I'm a lefty too and I've had a few handguns with ambi mag releases and I never used it. One in particular, the BDA .380, has a release that can be switched to left hand operation. I tried it out and while shooting with a little speed I ended up staring at the pistol trying to figure out how it worked.

I suppose after all the years my trigger finger is conditioned to hitting the mag release, and I don't want to recondition it due to all the handguns that don't have ambi releases.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This Glock esp. in a 10mm might be bear ready...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29lAwTZ0kDs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I went down to the gun shop yesterday, and they didn't have any 10MM. That is a good thing I suppose, since he said most Glocks have a six month wait, however a caliber other than a 9MM or .45 should only take about a month.

I picked out a couple of .45's that are the same size, and learned this, I wouldn't buy a Glock if it weren't for the new SF models. Handling both I felt the regular models feel like you are gripping a 4X4, but the SF models, however small a change, feel a lot better, however not as nice a feel as a 1911.

Which models have ambi mag released is irrelevant, they are not legal in CA according to the guy behind the counter. Don't ask me, he couldn't tell me the safety relevance. However he did tell me that a lot of cops jumped on the ambi release, but found that on occasion upon entering their squad cars, the safety on the right side was releasing their magazines if they bumped up against the seat belt mechanism, so many opted out of having the release on the right side.

My next step will be to go back when I have a bit more time and shoot a couple of .45's in both models and see what the .45 feels like in that sub-compact frame. If I don't like it, sure as hell I won't like the 10MM coming out of the same set-up, and then might opt for a full size model or a 10MM in a 1911..

It's a learning process, but not like it is work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I JUST read about the SF Friday in the gun mags and pissed I did not visit the Glock booth, guess I never knew till now to check them out.....but yes the old style just does not fit me right....always loved how a Browning Hi-power fit my hand....like a glove. Shame it never came in 10mm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I shot two of the Glock 45's today, the full size and the sub compact. Loaded them both set them side by side and alternated every shot.

In all honesty the recoil of both is almost identical. I couldn't discern any difference in accuracy with my shooting either.

I can honestly say the Glock in .45 kick less than my old heavy Colt .45. I think the difference is that the Glock recoils more straight back letting your arm take more of the recoil, where the old Colt seems to have more barrel flip putting more of the recoil on your wrist.

That all being said, I'm still concerned that even with the Pierce grips, my hand might still be hanging off the end of the grip. The .45 that I was shooting seemed to extend down as far as a G29 would with the Pierce grip, but still left my pinky with nothing to grip on to.

Was also kind of disappointed that Glock doesn't use some sort of rubber inlays on their grips.

Has anyone who purchased the Pierce grips for their G-29 still felt as if the grip was too short?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
9 or 10 round mags in the subcompact 45 that you shot?

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can honestly say the Glock in .45 kick less than my old heavy Colt .45. I think the difference is that the Glock recoils more straight back letting your arm take more of the recoil, where the old Colt seems to have more barrel flip putting more of the recoil on your wrist.

I think that's accurate. What you're seeing is the importance of a lower bore line.

Your Colt was built in 1918, so if a 1911 pattern is still on your list there are some things to look out for on modern versions. The two 'stops' for grip depth on all pistols are the tang (frame ears on a 1911) and the base of the trigger guard. The grip depth of a 1911 can be increased by altering the frame ears and undercutting the base of the trigger guard. Some factory pistols do a good job of implementing the improvements and some don't.

The frame ears are most often modified along with the addition of a beavertail grip safety. The most common changes to the frame ears are the 0.250" radius used by Ed Brown and others, and the Wilson compound radius. Some manufacturers just slap a beavertail on without altering the frame ears at all, and some go for cosmetics only. If the beavertail is a "drop-in", it probably isn't accomplishing zip. The trigger guard is either undercut or it isn't.

I prefer both improvements, but of the two changes the frame ears make the most difference to me in lowering the bore line. Done properly the changes can make a lot of difference.

Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barkoff,

My local gunshop just got one of the Glock 20 SF's. I didn't handle it the other day; they were really busy. It was, I believe, $580. I would like to handle it, though the regular G20 fits my big mitts just fine <g>.

So... for the cost of some shipping and a transfer fee, I know where one is RIGHT NOW, if you want it.

Just my opinion, based only on heresay- don't get a 45 ACP, thinking you are in the same realm as the other cartridges we are discussing... for bear protection anyway. Just IMHO.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hound_va
9 or 10 round mags in the subcompact 45 that you shot?

You know the brochure says 10 shot, but after eight it became a real chore. I'm not sure if I could have got ten in without some sort of loading aid. Since I was just shooting through one box I was just putting five in at a time to get the feel of dropping the mag, and cycling the slide.

If I go with a Glock it will be a 8MM, I was just shooting the .45 to see what the difference felt like between the sub-compact and full size (no 8MM available).
The .45 felt pretty good, and it kills me to say the recoil felt more controllable than that of the old Colt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Barkoff,

My local gunshop just got one of the Glock 20 SF's. I didn't handle it the other day; they were really busy. It was, I believe, $580. I would like to handle it, though the regular G20 fits my big mitts just fine <g>.

So... for the cost of some shipping and a transfer fee, I know where one is RIGHT NOW, if you want it.

Just my opinion, based only on heresay- don't get a 45 ACP, thinking you are in the same realm as the other cartridges we are discussing... for bear protection anyway. Just IMHO.

-jeff

I appreciate the offer, but I'll need to wait a bit longer until the tax return comes in and I see how big it is, likewise I'll have to keep an eye on the work situation for another month or so. Thanks for the offer. I would have gone with a Springfield if interested in another .45, but I'm sold on a small ten shot 8MM.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If it was tough to get 8 in, then you most likely had the 10 round mags. Those have a thick extended floorplate on them. Gives the pinky a place to sit unless you have huge hands. That was the reason I asked as the 29 doesn't have them from the factory and hence will have a bit shorter grip than the 30 that you were shooting with, at least in factory trim. Low bore axis is a good thing indeed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hound_va
If it was tough to get 8 in, then you most likely had the 10 round mags. Those have a thick extended floorplate on them. Gives the pinky a place to sit unless you have huge hands. That was the reason I asked as the 29 doesn't have them from the factory and hence will have a bit shorter grip than the 30 that you were shooting with, at least in factory trim. Low bore axis is a good thing indeed.

Yep, I noticed that an I am concerned that even with the Pierce extensions it might still not be wide enough. Here is a youtube where you can see a guy handling a 29 with the Pierce extension, I just wish I knew how big his hands are.

29 with grips

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm waffling back and forth between the G29 and S&W 329PD.

i goofed up on my prior post. You might visit the smith forum on the 329pd. It has a little piece of metal above the forcing cone to protect the frame against the hot gas. It also over time falls off then the pistol goes back to smith to get it fixed. I recently bought a 29-10, and replaced the front sight with the hi viz sight from the 329pd. Like it quite a bit.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Yep, I noticed that an I am concerned that even with the Pierce extensions it might still not be wide enough. Here is a youtube where you can see a guy handling a 29 with the Pierce extension, I just wish I knew how big his hands are.

29 with grips

The Pierce extension will give you a wee bit more length in the front but nothing in the rear. The shape and texture feel better than the G30 floorplates. Overall, the 29 feels similar to the 30 until you step up to full power ammo and by that I mean Double Tap or Buffalo Bore. Then, to me, it feels similar to firing 200gr +P loads out of a 3 in, Ultra CDP or a mid-size .357 snubby with heavy loads.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.