Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
20+ years ago in my college days, I had a little trouble. I have a DUI on my record and a simple assault charge. Those days are long behind me but I have heard that these may prevent me from entering Canada. I have a 2010 moose hunt planned in BC and I want to get to work on this now so I can make my hunt. What all do I need to do?

Thanks

PASS IT ON!
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by C_ROY
20+ years ago in my college days, I had a little trouble. I have a DUI on my record and a simple assault charge. Those days are long behind me but I have heard that these may prevent me from entering Canada. I have a 2010 moose hunt planned in BC and I want to get to work on this now so I can make my hunt. What all do I need to do?

Thanks

DON'T BRING THE POT! we already got that here LMAO

Seriously call the local police detachment and have them do a criminal record check on yourself. May cost you 20$??? but may save you the rubber gloves and a real sore ASS at the border!!

Where in BC are you going?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would also call the Canadian border services agency and ask them directly. Here are their phone numbers:

* 204-983-3500
* 506-636-5064

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. C Roy;
I would 2nd Mr. Jordan Smith�s suggestion to talk to the folks at Canadian Border Services. They will be the ones who will get to make the decision when the time comes, so one might as well start there, eh?

As well, make sure you get all your ducks in a row with our Firearms Registry people if you are planning on bringing in a firearm. I would like to say that bit of foolishness could be gone by then, but as of yet it isn�t so one is forced to comply.

Hopefully you have a wonderful time in our province, have a grand hunt and make memories that will last your lifetime.

Give us a shout if we can be of any assistance.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys will do. This very well could be my hunting trip of a life time. I am going for moose & black bear. My pard is going for moose & grizzly. I am sooooo excited about this trip and want to make sure I can prevent as much adversity as possible before hitting the bush.

PASS IT ON!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. C Roy;
It sounds like a great trip you have planned.

If I�m not being too intrusive, where more or less are you planning on heading?

As grizzly is on the docket, I know where you aren�t likely going. As far as black bears go, please shoot 2 should you be so inclined. We have a bit of a surplus in most areas.

Again, if I can be of any assistance, just give me a shout.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is something you should look at.....

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Your BEST bet is to call the port you plan on crossing at and make sure all is well. You have done well by starting to make sure your ducks are in a row already....good on ya.

Toss me a PM if you have any questions or feel free to ask them here. I am 'in the industry' so to speak....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Just google visiting Canada ... you will find this, after a few links ....

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp

Since you have two convictions and one is Assault (no mater how many years ago) you cannot be "Deemed Admissible" you must apply for 'Application for Criminal Rehabilitation' ... it will cost you $'s ... and will take awhile.

You could possibly just take you chances and maybe pass GO. But if they take your ID in the back room ... you will not pass GO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ropes

You could possibly just take you chances and maybe pass GO. But if they take your ID in the back room ... you will not pass GO.

DO NOT take the chance. Several people 'take the chance' and end up having to cancel their trips and turn around at the border. A TON of wasted time and money.

You're on the right track by starting the research and getting your ducks in a row early...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do not make a hunt deposit with a guide until you are absolutely certain that you will be allowed into Canada. You would not be the first to be refused entry and the guide(s) was(were) not inclined at that late occasion to refund the deposits. No chance to fill the vacancy when it might occur a day or two before the hunt.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I sincerely hope that episodes from your youth(does anyone here NOT have episodes from their youth! grin)would prevent you from enjoying the hunt of a lifetime!Get everything set up,and enjoy your hunt in the Great White North! Cheers,Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
A
A
You just have to know how to handle it.

Jabber some asian nonsense to the Customs people and claim refugee status. Before you know it you'll have a really nifty welfare check, a free apartment, and people falling all over themselves to give you first crack at everything. Hell, you could be the biggest criminal on earth - in fact the more rotten you are, the better treatment you'll probably receive.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Of course Rackmastr is right about not taking chances ... but many do ... some make it some don't. It does kinda ruin your plans when you cannot pass go.

In this day and age of instant background checks it is much easier for the Border folks to take a look at your history.

The difference is that in the US there is a 'statute of limitations' and also 'expungment' which Canada doesn�t have. Once convicted you are always a 'criminal'.

But for Canada to consider it a crime it has to be against the law in Canada. In other words if the law in the US doesn�t have a mirror law in Canada ... Canada Gov does not care about the conviction. After crossing into Canada many times over many years I was flagged and taken into the office. They found a 1969 conviction on my record. They first started interrogating me saying isn�t there any thing in your past you would like to tell us about. I had forgotten all about the ancient conviction. After over 2 hours the Canadian folks back east finally made a decision that there was no Canadian Law for what I did and just told the BC border folks �it isn�t our problem� (I overheard that in the telephone conversation) �. I was just sent on my way and told to have a good time !!!! Since that time no problem �

Actually when I pulled into the check point that day and the Border lady looked at me and took my Drivers License and started to the office .. she turned around and said to me �I�m going to find out who you really are� !!!!!!

I'm a hunting Guide and have crossed at that same Border spot for many years at about the same times for many years going to guide on the Alaska side of the border. I have to drive around thru BC to get there.

K
kix Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Just for fun and old times sake I will relate what happened when I crossed the border S.of Thunder Bay back in the late 80's.After the nice border lady WAVED thru umpteen cars she spots (probably)my Texas lic.plate clad truck and says "Sir,I want your pistol". I don't have one says I (I didn't,new better) Says she Do you have any long guns on you.? No,I don't and I didn't. Then she floored me with Do you have any explosives of any kind? Now I was chapped. I have a pocket knife says I. Pull over there,we're going to search your vehicle. And they did a cursory search but a search nonetheless and then it was Have a nice day,enjoy your time in Canada.We spent one nite in that miserable place and got the hell out and guess what;haven't had any desire to go back and never will. Kix

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I am a US resident, hunt in Canada every year. Each year while in the airport or hotel lounge I hear from other US hunters how one of their party was refused entry because of old DUI convictions. If I were you I would definitely work that before sending money for your trip. Silvers

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kix
Just for fun and old times sake I will relate what happened when I crossed the border S.of Thunder Bay back in the late 80's.After the nice border lady WAVED thru umpteen cars she spots (probably)my Texas lic.plate clad truck and says "Sir,I want your pistol". I don't have one says I (I didn't,new better) Says she Do you have any long guns on you.? No,I don't and I didn't. Then she floored me with Do you have any explosives of any kind? Now I was chapped. I have a pocket knife says I. Pull over there,we're going to search your vehicle. And they did a cursory search but a search nonetheless and then it was Have a nice day,enjoy your time in Canada.We spent one nite in that miserable place and got the hell out and guess what;haven't had any desire to go back and never will. Kix

For that the residents of Canada are eternally grateful.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I live on the border and cross somewhat frequently. I have friends who can't go to Canada because of DUI convictions years ago. When you do the firearms paperwork they will find out about your convictions. If you are hell bent on going, start working on it right now. I don't want to throw water on your fire, but if I were in your circumstances I think I would look at going to Alaska. I've seen too many examples of people being told different things by different Canadian customs people at different times. While there are a lot of friendly, welcoming people at Candadian customs, there are also a certain number who seem determined to prove that they just don't care one bit about you or whether or not you ever get into Canada.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

In fact Canadian Customs and Immigration are probably watching this thread !!!!!

It wouldn't surprise me if US Customs is to !!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there a list of offenses that preclude entry by a US citizen??

Cancer Sucks
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Basically any offense that qualifies as a criminal offense under the Canadian Criminal Code in Canada is what you have to be concerned about and should seek clarification for if you are in doubt about an incident in your past. Although DUI may be a misdemeanor in the State you live in it is a criminal offense here, throughout Canada and they will use that distinction to prohibit entry.. Police do not have a sense of humor about it (DUI) and neither did the legislators (Parliament).

Minor issues such as speeding tickets do not qualify as criminal offenses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.