Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glen...

Your rifle looks beautiful. Just a few questions. The bluing on the barrel looks brand new but the butt plate looks silver? Is that the way it came or is it just the lighting in the picture? Also, the dents in the wood look to be finished the same as the rest of the stock and it looks good. Does it look that way from oiling the stock...??? If you have a trick to keeping old rifle looking new, please let me know because that rifle is just AWESOME...!!! Wish I could get my hand on something like that...!!!

Thanks, Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug, very nice collection. Judging from the picture, anyone would be hard pressed to better any of those rifles, condition-wise.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
D
DGF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks Steve; haven't got too many,but they are in pretty good shape,[bores are excellent].However; I'm mostly into 99's and some winnys. I do have a couple more 29a's in oct. barrels.I at one time wanted 1 of all the 22 pumps. It's fun. Doug

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doug ,

PM sent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's one that is not seen very often, an English pattern 1903. This is an early version, later ones had the same size thick profile butt plate that had a "Savage Quality" Indian Head logo. This one does not have the 1906 patent date on the barrel. The butt plate is similar to that nice 1904's - wish it was in as good of condition.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was just reading a repro catalogue, 1905, about the English model and the others. Thanks for sharing, not many of those to be seen.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
K
K
Can any of you point me to a reference on the Stevens Model 49. I inherited one and have have been unable to find out anything about it in any reference.

Family lore says that it was purchased from a Spiegel Catalog circa 1941 by my grandfather.

Regards,
Kevin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your Stevens 49 is a House Brand of the Savage 29A. It probably has a five digit serial followed by the letter "K" (K = House Brand). There is next to no information written on this version.

I think they were produced in the late 30's up to WWII. Your story of being purchased from Spiegels in 1941 is probably correct. What sights are on the rifle and is the barrel drill and tapped for scope blocks?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

K
K
Rick,

Sorry this took a while, I couldn't get to the gun last night due to a sleeping baby.

Looks pretty much like the others that I see. Dove-tail in the front with a blade that can be adusted left and right. Rear is is notch on an upturned flat plate that can be raised or lowered by moving a retained slide that is stepped to push up the plate to different heights.

It is drilled and tapped for a scope; serial 35883K.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Might as slap the stupid sticker on my forehead if I'm mistaken, but its worth a shot.

Who made the "Premier" line of 22's? They sure look alot like some of the ones previously posted. If it isnt I'll pull the pics grin thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And the one that gets the most miles put on it.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kev_A

Sorry this took a while, I couldn't get to the gun last night due to a sleeping baby.
Kevin

Where do you keep it, under the crib mattress? laugh

Mud Bogger, ya, the Premiers were a house brand of the Savages as well, nice gun. Like those 93's as well, I bet they're nice enough to turn Rick and Les off of the 10/22's! smile

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you. Any ideas on where I can find an outer tube for the Premier?

N
N
I found this Western Auto REVELATION in a pawn shop. It is a Savage model 46 S-L-LR bolt action. The bolt action is not real good, but the rifle is a tack driver. Short, heavy barrel, built down to a price. It is a lot of fun.

Attached Images
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Thank you. Any ideas on where I can find an outer tube for the Premier?

The Premier you show is based on the Model 25 Savage and would use the same parts, the Premier Trailblazer is based on the Model 29 Savage.

The first Premiers were made by Mossberg and were based on the Meriden Model 15 that Mossberg got the rights to after WWI when Sears chose not to restart Meriden, which they owned. The Mossberg made Permiers look very much like the Savages externally but are internally quite different. The patents for the design are in Arthur Savage's sons names, Basil and Arthur J., and are asigned to Sears.

Gene
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
1. Model 24 J-DL 22 Mag./20 ga.
2. Model 24 B-DL 22 Mag/20 ga.
3. Model 24 22 Mag/410 ga.

No Model 24 guys on here? frown

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Almost forgot this old guy

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i have a savage model 121 .22 short, long or lr and i need a new rear sight for it. my dad and i took it off when i was ready for scope shooting and now my daughter is old enough to start shooting but i want to put the iron sights back on. i know it is a pretty old gun. my great grandfather bought it sometime in the 30's or 40's i believe but may have been earlier. any help would be great

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry I'm late to the party, here are my Savage rimfires:

First one is a 1903 manufactured in 1905 with the rare European-style shotgun buttstock. It also sports a vintage Marbles S2 tang sight and Rocky Mountain front sight (not pictured). Per the factory letter, it was sold to a company that did a lot of overseas sales in Hamburg and Constantinople before the First World War.

The second is a standard 1903 of slightly later vintage (I want to say 1913) sold to a sporting goods store in Detroit. It came to me from a seller in Michigan who picked it up in a pawnshop. This rifle donated its Marbles tang sight to the one above, and GeneB was nice enough to find me a correct magazine with the right amount of wear. Its an oldie but a goodie

Since we are also covering Stevens/Springfield, here is my Springfield 87M, aka the "Garand Trainer Prototype". It came with an added on Redfield sight that I removed, and my brother-in-law was nice enough to machine a very cool scope mount in its place.

Attached Images
12692-IMG_0289.JPG (75.17 KB, 290 downloads)
12693-IMG_0290.JPG (93.25 KB, 167 downloads)
12694-IMG_0291.JPG (91.06 KB, 165 downloads)
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Brought the new Model 24 (well, it was new in 1956) home last week. I'm even more excited about it now than when I first saw it. I honestly believe this .22LR/.410 was never fired. I don't normally get too worked up over these things but the condition of this one justifies it. All this joy for a mere $100! The way things have been going, I needed to catch a break!

The white spots in the pic are light glare. There are no rub marks anywhere to be found. The forend is a poor match in color to the butt, but looks to be original to the gun. Was the wood coded to the metal in any way on utility guns from this era? I'm thinking not, and I'd rather not yank the wood off of it anyway.

[Linked Image]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice find for a 100 bucks

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.