Print Thread
Hop To
M
mw406 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Speaking of Turnbull, what do think a Savage 1899 restoration by him would be worth? For example, take a perch belly 250-3000, 1915 vintage, close to becoming grey but in good mechanical shape. He refinishes the metal to original specs. Say the wood is ok and can be refinished with appropriate checkering. Also, re-case harden the lever. When completed it looks brand, 1915 vintage, new. If that gun was worth around $1,200 as is, disregarding what the restoration cost, what would it be worth when he's done? A minty 250-3000 would be worth what, say $3,500 plus. Would the Turnbull Savage be worth more, like some of his Winchesters seem to be. Just curious.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Refinished Gun is as Such to most,not all.
Takes the value away. The value is for you and prehaps whom may appreciate it.

You'll most like spend to much and never get a return.
Just my opion.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+1

At a guess I'd say it's worth maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of what you'll sink into it. Good for family heirlooms where value isn't the price, but not a good investment otherwise.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree x 2
The first two response's cover it quite well.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mw406
Speaking of Turnbull, what do think a Savage 1899 restoration by him would be worth?

Worth ? ...... or how much would it cost ? ....... in my experience - World Class work , but it ain't cheap .

Also, re-case harden the lever.

They did this one for me a couple of years back :

[Linked Image]

M
mw406 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Kinda what I thought. Better to find original guns than spend a ton of dough on restoration. Nice looking lever though.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I have seen the same 86 Win. Turnbull restoration for sale for over a year and a half now. Beautiful rifle asking $4000.00 but no takers. In the meantime a couple of original 86's in very clean condition have flown off the shelf in the hi $3000.00 range. I think the message is no matter how good the work re-doing a collectable rifle is a no no.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun
+1

At a guess I'd say it's worth maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of what you'll sink into it. Good for family heirlooms where value isn't the price, but not a good investment otherwise.

I don't even agree with the family heirloom comment, in fact I am probably more against that than refinishing.

I inherited an 1893 Marlin that has a barrel that with over 4" cut off and a rough home-made front sight soft soldered on. It also has a lot off stock marks and wear from being carried in a scabbard on a horse. This was done by my Uncle in South Dakota during the depression and was done because hunting was a nesessity and not a sport to him then and the long barrel may have meant the difference between eating and starving. If I had this gun restored all the evidence of his touch and the evidence of the guns history would be lost. Most of what is worn on that gun was worn by my uncle and my father, if I had it restored all evidence of their touch would be gone - it would no longer be a family heirloom, it would no longer have the marks and wear that carried the evidence of the story's about it. Can you imagine this senario - I tell someone about the history of a gun and that my uncle carried this many miles on horse back just to have someone say - "funny the gun look's like new, like it's never been handled". That's my opinion of a refinsh.

PS my uncle sold the gun to my father when he moved to Wisconsin, he no longer had to hunt to survive and never did again - as I said his experience with hunting was not as a sport.

Gene

Gene

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (benchman, BALLISTIK, Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, 7 invisible), 1,223 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,237
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.