Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
W T Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I am looking for a set of 10 x 42's for open country hunting. Currently there are some good deals from our sponsor on these two options on the "used" shelf. I have a pair of 8 x 30 SLC's and quite like them apart from the eye piece collapsing at times and the need for good adjustment on the "spread" for good window. Need to pick a horse in the 10's and was wondering if there was a advantage in one particular glass noting price and weight are similiar? I was thinking along the lines of glass quality - coatings etc or warranty?

Richard

Last edited by W T; 03/03/09.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go here: www.betterviewdesired.com the 10X42 SLC Swaros are highly regarded. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of SLC 10x42's and love them, but they are very heavy. Also have a pair of 8x30's with twist up eye caps and those are usually my go to pair just because of the weight difference.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Richard-

I think you'd be tickled with either the Swaro's or the Ultravids.
All comes down to what works for your eyes, and the respective ergonomics for you. Please look/handle both prior to making your decision. When faced with this same dilemma in the 8x, I had my mind made up on one brand and after handling/peering through both, ended up going with the other. shocked

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If weight isn't a big deal I would still consider the Leica Trinovids. I have compared them to all the others and I still like the view as well and prefer the brick feel.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i like my 7x42 SLC new, I could have had any of the "three" but these stood out to me

Last edited by SAKO75; 03/04/09.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have had the Zeiss,Leica,and Swaro SLC and EL. I went through the drill last September of comparing all three brands in 10x40 and 10x42. I wound up with the Leica. ALL were excellent optically and choosing on that basis was more a subjective thing than anything else.

I bought the Leica because, in a 10x42,they felt the lightest and the shortest of them all.I also liked the solid click-stops of the Leica eyepieces and the full-length titanium hinge.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As you can see from the many post and plugs for each of the ones you mentioned, that it really is a personal thing. To me the 42 size SLCs are too long and heavy. I think Leica beats the competition on that front by having the most compact model at a reasonably light weight. My buddy on the other hand was perfectly willing to take the extra weight and a harness to save $500.00 with his 10x42 SLCs.

I think he has an older model SLC because both my 10x42 SE and 8x42 Ultravid BR beat it by quite a lot, but when I checked out the 10x42 SLC NEU at the store where I bought mine, I thought that SLC was as good as anything I have looked through. I saw that certified pre-owned deal on 8x42 BRs from Doug for $1,099.99 and thought that it would be hard for someone to pass up, as I just paid $1,500.00 for mine a year ago, and thought I got a killer deal. I didn't notice if Doug had a similar deal on a pair of 10x42s.
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The SLC is a great bino; I have an 8x30 that see's a lot of use.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by W T
Need to pick a horse in the 10's and was wondering if there was a advantage in one particular glass
Richard

WT,
There could be an advantage if you wear eye glasses.

When I use binoculars I push my corrective lenses up and view the binos with naked eyes. I kept the SLC neu and returned the Ultravids because it was not as clear with my stigmatism. Just my two cents.

I also preferred the feel of the SLC and the weight helps neutralize the shakiness. Either would be a great life time binocular, when looking through both brands with my corrective lenses they were very close. I am thinking it could be many years before technology produces anything significantly better.

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Bought both the Leica and the swaro`s,Leica`s went back, to ME they (swaro`s) felt better (weight,fit and other "stuff" i cannot discribe) but you will not go wrong with either choice.

Last edited by UKdave; 03/04/09.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
When dropping that amount of money (or any on bins for that matter), I'd be sure to try them both. While they're both great glass, my eyes prefer Zeiss, Swaro and Leica in that order for the big three.

Everyone's eyes and hands are different - if you can, contact Doug and discuss options, as I believe he'll send you both and you can return the set that comes in 2nd within a week or so.

Good luck.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was never impressed with the non hd Ultravid binos in 42mm. I liked the image quality of the Trinovid BN better. IMO the neu SLC is brighter than the first Ultravid. The NEU SLC in 10x42 is a best buy IMO only being slightly bettered by the Ultravid HD and Zeiss FLT (not enough to matter) The EL IMO is better in ergos but not optically. (better optics than the old SLC)

Another factor to consider is warranty-Leica ranks the worst of the big three in customer service.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think a feller should just forget comparing and buy all three!

W
W T Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Guys, thanks for the input on this. Lots of different approaches brought up here and all mostly pretty good. Better make the call to the shop and start on the purchase process..

Richard

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
When did SLC new come out? I may have missed it. What's the difference between new and old? price and performance wise.

W
W T Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Cosmetic changes on the top of the binos (finger depression) and perhaps some addition lens coatings? Not really quite sure though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
hawker: I think the changes were 2-3 years ago; I had a 7x30 of the old style,and traded them in on a new 8x30. The new 8x30 is a better glass....IMHO grin You can see the difference,and I like the new 8x30 a great deal.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Swarorvskis are great but the Leica Ultravids are much lighter. Compare and decide on your own. Either one is a good choice.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They changed the outside color from a sort of yellow-green to a darker green, is this when they made the other changes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (338reddog, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 6MMWASP, 300_savage, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 902 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,254
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.