Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
A few years back I read a blurb in, I believe, Field and Stream that suggested aging deer in large marine coolers with frozen milk jugs for ice. I think I was at the doctors office when I read the item so I'm a little sketchy on the details.

It seems like you bagged the deer to keep them from getting wet. I can't remember the size of the coolers. It just seemed like a great way to get deer home from hunts a couple of three days driving from your home. I'd appreciate if anyone had any thoughts on this.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this will be greeted with howls of derision, but here goes anyway.

I have not aged wild four legged game every since I learned the reason for ageing meat. That reason being, wild game is not grain fed.

Always keep the meat cool until you can cut and wrap. That goes without saying or should.

Get the guts out and (the wind pipe), get the head hide and legs off and quarter. Wrap to keep it clean and head for your method of cooling.

I just know that folks will swear you need to age wild meat. I've done it both ways. Until a wild game butcher explained the facts of life to me. I also found the same information in a book put out by Winchester press on wild game preparation years later.

What hanging wild game does for you, is dry out meat. Meat is better not as jerky, but full of juice.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is not exactly a howl of derision, but our time-proven method of hanging bull moose quarters produces a superior product. We clean up the quarters and hang them in a near-freezing environment until the outside crusts over and the meat is beginning to soften up. This is generally 10-14 days. Even round steaks are tender.

Never hung deer, as we generally hunted the high country and boned them out on the spot, and backpacked the meat out. However, I have seen many deer hung whole, especially on commercial fishing boats smirk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen many deer hung whole, especially on commercial fishing boats

How do you fish for deer? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Swimmers -- tackle normally used is a .223 --- cool

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
more howls of derision, maybe

we do the ice chest thing with deer this way: fill ice chest 2/3-3/4 full with ice--get machine ice, frozen milk jugs won't work

dress deer and spread neck, shoulders, straps, tenders and hams on the ice--no need for any bags on the meat

cover deer parts w/ ice 'til ice chest is full--close the lid, open the drain plug and elevate the other end w/ 2X4 or whatever
so it will drain

we figure 5 to 8 days in the ice chest before our deer goes to the butcher to be cube steak, sausage etc. and check daily to see if ice needs to be added to keep the ice chest full

not likely to age deer this way, but it does seem to wash out blood and definitely results in better venison, IMO

"...the IInd Amendment is not about duck hunting..." Suzanne Hupp
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly how we do it....only 3-4 days and then process.

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Large cooler method here too. I wrap the quarters in plastic bags to keep water off the meat. Last year we used the ice machine at the hotel (which had very soft *read ~30 degree* ice). I was able to let 4 days pass before I was out of ice. After that I butcher.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't the other hotel guests complain about the dead deer in the ice machine? laugh

Sassy

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks everyone. I had one more question. What sized ice chests are you guys using?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 120 quart.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bone out my deer in the field. The backstraps are usually eaten fresh. The meat from the hams and shoulders goes into a cooler small enough to fit in the garage fridge. I wash it good, cover with ice water, close the lid, and leave in the fridge with the meat right in the water. The water is changed each day for three to four days. Then it is ready to grind for burger or sausage. Good luck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I find it really interesting that some of you put the meat in plastic, and others put it right into the ice/water.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

724 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 3,301 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,310
Posts18,526,179
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.