Print Thread
Hop To
#2869560 03/08/09
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The following was written by a veteran (Marine) and forwarded to me by another Vietnam VET. The author is more eloquent than I but, I certainly share his background and views. I believe him to be a real patriot and a dedicated American. I wish we had more that see our society through the same colored lens. Perhaps we do!

I�M TIRED:

I�ll be 63 soon. Except for one semester in college when jobs were scarce, and a six-month period when I was between jobs, but job-hunting every day, I�ve worked, hard, since I was 18. Despite some health challenges, I still put in 50-hour weeks, and haven�t called in sick, in seven or eight years. I make a good salary, but I didn�t inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, there�s no retirement in sight, and I�m tired.
Very tired.

I�m tired of being told that I have to �spread the wealth around� to people who don�t have my work ethic. I�m tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy or stupid to earn it.

I�m tired of being told that I have to pay more taxes to �keep people in their homes.� Sure, if they lost their jobs or got sick, I�m willing to help. But if they bought McMansions at three times the price of our paid-off, $250,000 condo, on one-third of my salary, then let the left wing Congresscritters who passed Fannie and Freddie and the Community Reinvestment Act that created the bubble help them�with their own money.

I�m tired of being told how bad America is by left wing millionaires like Michael Moore, George Soros and Hollywood entertainers who live in luxury because of the opportunities America offers. In thirty years, if they get their way, the United States will have the religious freedom and women�s rights of Saudi Arabia, the economy of Zimbabwe, the freedom of the press of China, the crime and violence of Mexico, the tolerance for Gay people of Iran, and the freedom of speech of Venezuela. 20Won�t multiculturalism be beautiful?

I�m tired of being told that Islam is a �Religion of Peace,� when every day I can read dozens of stories of Muslim men killing their sisters, wives and daughters for their family �honor;� of Muslims rioting over some slight offense; of Muslims murdering Christian and Jews because they aren�t �believers;� of Muslims burning schools for girls; of Muslims stoning teenage rape victims to death for �adultery;� of Muslims mutilating the genitals of little girls; all in the name of Allah, because the Qur�an and Shari�a law tells them to.

I believe �a man should be judged by the content of his character, not by the color of his skin.� I�m tired of being told that �race doesn�t matter� in the post-racial world of President Obama, when it�s all that matters in affirmative action jobs, lower college admission and graduation standards for minorities (harming them the most), government contract set-asides, tolerance for the ghetto culture of violence and fatherless children that hurts minorities more than anyone,20and in the appointment of US Senators from Illinois. I think it�s very cool that we have a black president and that a black child is doing her homework at the desk where Lincoln wrote the emancipation proclamation. I just wish the black president was Condi Rice, or, someone who believes more in freedom and the individual and less in an all-knowing government.

I�m tired of a news media that thinks Bush�s fund raising and inaugural expenses were obscene, but that think Obama�s, at triple the cost, were wonderful... That thinks Bush exercising daily was a waste of presidential time, but Obama exercising is a great example for the public to control weight and stress, that picked over every line of Bush�s military records, but never demanded that Kerry release his, that slammed Palin with two years as governor for being too inexperienced for VP, but touted Obama with three years as senator as potentially the best president ever.

Wonder why people are dropping their subscriptions or switching to Fox News? Get a clue. I didn�t vote for Bush in 2000, but the media and Kerry drove me to his camp in 2004.

I�m tired of being told that out of �tolerance for other cultures� we must let Saudi Arabia use our oil money to fund mosques and madrassa Islamic schools to preach hate in America, while no American group is allowed to fund a church, synagogue or religious school in Saudi Arabia to teach love and tolerance.

I�m tired of being told I must lower my living standard to fight global warming, which no one is allowed to debate. My wife and I live in a two-bedroom apartment and carpool together five miles to our jobs. We also own a three-bedroom condo where our daughter and granddaughter live. Our carbon footprint is about 5% of Al Gore�s, and if you�re greener than Gore, you�re green enough.

I�m tired of being told that drug addicts have a disease, and I must help support and treat them, and pay for the damage they do. Did a giant germ rush out of a dark alley, grab them, and stuff white powder up their noses while they tried to fight it off? I don�t think Gay people choose to be Gay, but I damn sure think druggies chose to take drugs. And I�m tired of harassment from cool people treating me like a freak when I tell them I never tried marijuana.

I�m tired of illegal aliens being called �undocumented workers,� especially the ones wh o aren�t working, but are living on welfare or crime. What�s next? Calling drug dealers, �Undocumented Pharmacists�? And, no, I�m not against Hispanics... Most of them are Catholic and it�s been a few hundred years since Catholics wanted to kill me for my religion. I�m willing to fast track for citizenship any Hispanic person who can speak English, doesn�t have a criminal record and who is self-supporting without family on welfare, or who serves honorably for three years in our military. Those are the citizens we need.

I�m tired of latte liberals and journalists, who would never wear the uniform of the Republic themselves, or let their entitlement-handicapped kids near a recruiting station, trashing our military. They and their kids can sit at home, never having to make split-second decisions under life and death circumstances, and bad mouth better people than themselves.

Do bad things happen in war? You bet. Do our troops sometimes misbehave? Sure. Does this compare with the atrocities that were the policy of our enemies for the last fifty years�and still are? Not even close. So there�s the deal. I�ll let myself be subjected to all the humiliation and abuse that was heaped on terrorists at Abu Ghraib or Gitmo, and the critics can let themselves be subject to captivity by the Muslims who tortured and beheaded Daniel Pearl in Pakistan, or the Muslims who tortured and murdered Marine Lt. Col. William Higgins in Lebanon, or the Muslims who ran the blood-spattered Al Qaeda torture rooms our troops found in Iraq, or the Muslims who cut off the heads of schoolgirls in Indonesia, because the girls were Christian. Then we�ll compare notes. British and American soldiers are the only troops in history that civilians came to for help and handouts, instead of hiding from in fear.

I�m tired of people telling me that their party has a corner on virtue and the other party has a corner on corruption. Read the papers�bums are bi-partisan. And I�m tired of people telling me we need bi-partisanship. I live in Illinois, where the �Illinois Combine� of Democrats and Republicans has worked together harmoniously to loot the public for years. And I notice that the tax cheats in Obama�s cabinet are bi-partisan as well.

I�m tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians of both parties talking about innocent mistakes, stupid mistakes or youthful mistakes, when we all know they think their only mistake was getting caught. I�m tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich or poor.

Speaking of poor, I�m tired of hearing people with air-conditioned homes, color TVs and two cars called poor. The majority of Americans didn�t have that in 1970, but we didn�t know we were �poor.� The poverty pimps have to keep changing the definition of poor to keep the dollars flowing.

I�m real tired of people who don�t take responsibility for their lives and actions. I�m tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination, or big-whatever, for their problems.

Yes, I�m damn tired. But I�m also glad to be 63. Because, mostly, I�m not going to get to see the world these people are making. I�m just sorry for my granddaughter.

Robert A. Hall is a Marine Vietnam veteran who served five terms in the Massachusetts state senate. He blogs at
www...tartanmarine.blogspot.com

Dick
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very well stated. The only thing that I would add is to include alcoholism as a non-disease along with (other) drug use.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well said.

[Linked Image]
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And, Atlas Shrugged.

Retired cat herder.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I think too many of us are tired.

WHUT?
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And will likely be marginalized. "He doesn't matter, he's old. Ignore him." etc.

Retired cat herder.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Outstanding Read and he expressed my feelings EXACTLY.

Last edited by crittergetter; 03/08/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am 32. I am tired.
The things described mirror Germany. Heck, it might be worse. Come to look at issues, it is. Sometimes I want to say: "Screw them. I leave."

US Constitution, Bill of rights, Decleration of the States, Yes.
Europe during the campaigns 2008 was just crazy. All people sedated. "Hope, Change". Not a clue about american history and politics, but a precise idea, of how the world should work.

I will stay. Please allow me seasonal opportunity to rekindle my soul. I pay my own way.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by g5m
And will likely be marginalized. "He doesn't matter, he's old. Ignore him." etc.

I thought it was just me noticed this current avocation for using "Old" as some sorta' derogatory term.

Bravo,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
he's got the right idea.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I might be tired to,you'll have that at 61,but I'm much more P***ED OFF!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
man, i'm tired too from 15 hour days, and very little sleep, but i aint complainin. when the check comes in, for some reason i forget all about it.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by g5m

The schools and the media teach this kind of used cattlefeed. Me, I work with a shop full of youngsters. One is from Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, recently back from the Sandbox. He can do three times the work of any of the others, and is the only one who gives a rip about the outfit. It's kind of refreshing to see that there is at least one young'un that has the same values I grew up with.

Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I thought it was just me noticed this current avocation for using "Old" as some sorta' derogatory term.

Bravo,

We all notice. I find that the southerner kids at least keep an icing of manners. Here in NW Arkansas, I still get called "Sir" and the ladies get called "Ma'am". You don't see that on the Coasts any more, or in the bigger cities. And the southerner kids still know what's coming when the old man's affect goes flat, and he starts talking soft enough that you gotta lean closer to hear him....

Any prohibition always manifests a black market, and an underground to administer it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lilly Von Schtupp is tired too. grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-pmpgrYQgs

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by g5m

Bravo,

GTC

The State of Iowa just changed the Department of Elder Affairs to the Department of Aging. That's DOA.

Ironic?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paul, you've got to remember that we're the state where there was a movement to put "Iowa - A State of Minds" on our license plates. smile (I was always partial to "Iowa - Home of Grant Who?") smile

Last edited by 5sdad; 03/08/09. Reason: reclamation of lost )

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He sums up my feelings better than I can.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 16penny, 39 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,872
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.