Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Maser, where is your proof that the officer made an error on his driving? all the article says is that he crashed into some trees. our EVOC training is provided to teach us how to operate a vehicle at high speeds and minimize the chance of us wrecking. The training doesn't guarantee against it happening. Again the bottom line is that if the suspect had not been attempting to elude the police and had not instigated the pursuit,Officer Mathews would not have been called on to assist in the pursuit that led to his death.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beltrami
Maser-You started off on this thread by using a qualifying statement, “I'm neither pro-LEO or anti-LEO”. If that were true you wouldn’t feel the need to write it. Instead you would let the content of your posts show it. It is readily apparent you are, at least a little, anti-LEO. That’s your prerogative. Using the “what if’s” or “how about this” statements is counter productive. We could all go back and forth with those for days on end. If you kept your argument to the facts at hand things would not be as cloudy as they are for you. How “directly involved” does the suspect need to be to qualify as liable for the officer’s death in your view? It seems to me you have never had a great deal of responsibility placed on your shoulders. If you have you might be able to see the officer wasn’t speeding because he got paid by the mile. He was doing his duty. Being a cop is a job. It’s also more than that. Cops aren’t above the law. Cops are held to a higher standard. The media and movies aren’t the best place to gain knowledge on a subject. You should do a ride along and find out for yourself what it is like. It is usually best to learn first hand. Nobody wants to be a dumb azz for ever. And yes I am a cop.

Andy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Good response. I mentioned to many people young and old here to get involved in a Citizen's Police Academy program, if available in their communities. It might open their eyes and minds to why & how things are done in LE as they are. They normally include a ride along, in the program.

I've also mentioned to some that they ought to look at getting involved in a reserve program in their community. I've told them to experience life from the pin side of the badge. It also will truly open their eyes as to what's going on around them. It will give them an opportunity to be involved in their communities. It probably fell on deaf ears.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kciH
What if the guy had a scanner and knew Hemorrhoid1960 had taken up the chase? Can any of you say you would be willing to have him apprehend you?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What do you think they'ld get an azz beating? smile Those days are over, they cost too much in civil suits. Plus you have to sit at the hospital with them, while they get sewn up.

What do you know about pursuits and apprehension of suspects?

The stops are all conducted as high risk stops unless the suspect has wrecked and can't get out of the veh. on their own then it becomes a medical emergency. I've had to hold compresses on suspects who've wrecked prior to EMT's arriving at the scene, or while rescue is using the JOL to extracate them from the veh.

Probably in every LE agency in the US, they have a pursuit policy. These policies are detailed and descriptive as to the responsibility of LE and the reasons that pursuits will take place. They include in detail the responsibility/duties of the pursuing LEO and his supervisor.

Many agencies have limited their reasons for initating pursuit other then the most dire cases. The use of spike strips have gone along way in stopping pursuits before they get too dangerous. As well as agencies stopping the pursuit themselves.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BPHC2
Maser, where is your proof that the officer made an error on his driving? all the article says is that he crashed into some trees.

The proof that he made an error in his driving is that he's dead. Sorry, but this is stupid. It's overreaching prosecutions like this that cause a loss of respect for the law. Nothing happens in a vacuum on this planet and a line has to be drawn between silly nonsense and reasonable causation. My uncle got picked up hitchiking by Elvis in 1954. I'm sure if you put enough twists on it then you could make the case that if he hadn't picked up my uncle then he wouldn't have died on the $hitter in 1977. It's frivolous and malicious prosecution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As usual, there's a lot we don't know about this incident. The first question that would need to be answered is the neccessity, at least as perceived, to join the pursuit.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (257 roberts, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 48 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.