-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Journeyed this late afternoon to Grand Falls on the Little Colorado River northeast of Flagstaff. Played a little with a new ND4 filter to give slower shutter speeds to soften the water. The filter definitely imparted a color shift. I arrived a little late as the shadows were already at the base of the falls. The next trip in the near future will provide more time in the afternoon to try different ND and CP filter combinations and shutter speeds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doug~RR

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here are untouched jpegs of the same view to illustrate the color cast caused by the ND filter. Both were taken with a CP in place, hence the vignetting with both filters on the lens.

Taken without ND filter
[Linked Image]

Taken with ND filter
[Linked Image]

Doug~RR

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been awhile since I have journeyed out that way. Thanks...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice photos! I love doing that "angel hair" stuff with the ND filter. Very fun.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This Sunday morning, Rica and I took a short hike down Pumphouse Wash south of Kachina Village to find some small waterfalls that I was told about almost fiteen years ago.

[Linked Image]

This little drop was just above the waterfalls. (I am still having difficulty with the color balance due to the neutral density filter. Any thoughts on prevention/correction?)
[Linked Image]

The waterfalls had a nice pool beneath, which might be nice during the warmer summer months.
[Linked Image]

Doug~RR

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I compared the new ND4 filter to an older ND4 from the film days. There is a definite blue tint to the new one seen when looked through that the older filter does not give. So much for "neutral", and will try another brand.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I really like this stuff!! Especially the panoramics. Would like to see the falls in panoramic.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don,
I have never stitched photos together to make a pano, but will give it a whirl after I get back out there to retake some pics before the flow drops.

Doug

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are a couple of things--I don't have my info handy but as I recall you can get what are called "warming" ND or polarizing filters to counteract the blue, and you can try setting your white balance to open shade or cloudy to warm it up. This sometimes helps balance out the colour cast on snow which is where I use it the most.

Nice pics by the way.

LawMan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LawMan is right, but the issue is actually the length of the exposure. Try backing off the exposure length just enough to get the soft water and before the color starts to migrate. An assortment of filters in a common carrier gives a lot of flex.

Warming with any number of photo programs will get it back where you want, especially if you have normal exposures for comparison.

Try them in B&W or Sepia tone if you want the easy way out... wink

Neat looking scenary!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a difference 30 minutes makes, at least according to the exif info. The first one shot at f/11 is really good. I was surprised by the f/25 setting on some of the later images. Was that a setting you chose to use, or a result of lighting?

I've played with the small aperture settings before, and they do work.

Brian

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Brian,
I chose the f/25 to give a slower shutter speed, although I knew I would probably lose some image quality due to diffraction.
In pics #2,4 & 5, the sun had gone behind a cloud to the west. I did not have on the ND filter with pic #1 and chose f/11 to get max sharpness.

Pic 3 is a crop and hasty adjustments of this image taken when the sun was out.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Went back out to Grand Falls this afternoon to retake some photos with a new ND8 filter. The wind gusts of 63 mph on Sunday were gone, so didn't have to worry about the camera and tripod being lifted over the edge today.

Took a series of 8 vertical photos and used PSE7 to blend them into a panorama. Individual photos were done on manual: F/22, 1/20sec, f=18mm, ISO 200.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Way cool pics guys thanks for sharing

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice photos smile Love how the water looks! Thanks for sharing!

"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses." Ziggy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,062
Posts18,501,240
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.