Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Magazine articles are essentially info-mercials in print.

There is usually some truth, some validity, and some value to the information presented, but it is almost always highly skewed to highlight the product's best aspects while glazing over or totally ignoring its shortcomings. They almost never represent a legitimate, un-biased comparison of quality levels between like products. In fact, I can't remember the last time I read a truly negative review - of any product, even ones I know to be complete garbage.

Magazines help to introduce the consumer to new products being introduced into the market, but should NEVER be used as the primary basis for making a buy/no-buy decision.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
vthunter,

Since I think most writers use the copy from the manufactor, I use only the specs to help me buy something new. Otherwise they have no influence.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I read what writers have to say about anything, scopes included. But, my final decision is based on what I want, and need. If a gun writer like John Barsness has good things to say about a scope I need, then that influences what I buy. Jake Gottfredson is another guy I pay a lot of attention to too, for optics purchases.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I make all optics decisions after actually looking through and comparing optics.I put very little faith in anything that gunwriters promote,as most will promote virtually any product for one reason or another.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I do trust one gunwriter's eyes 100 %:

(I`m a gunwriter - grins)

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pay attention to anyone that has quality information and there is a lot of good information here, in periodicals and in books. I could care less what some retard or marketing hack has to say. There is no shortage of retards on the net and many a hack has been published.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I buy and try. If I don't like I sell. I own:
Leupolds
Zeiss
Nikon
Bushnell
Swarovski
I like them all for there application.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My ears perk up when a gun writer says to AVOID something. That's a rarity though. Several here have earned my trust, but in general I always have a question of motive when media outlets speak. Can't piss off an advertiser. That's what makes forums so valuable.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Barsness and Timm give great input and advice. They help make an informed decision so I buy once. Sometimes by PM and other times just reading what they have to say about things that relate to me and my needs.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I read what's out there and listen to what they have to say and find the perspectives interesting, but I don't forget that they get paid from sponsors. From there I do my own research, handling, etc. While I handle a lot of optics in my travels, I don't buy many & when I do it's based on my needs and wallet.

While I believe that technology is great, there is definately a point where I don't need improvements for the equipment I use. I spent a lot of time finding my ideal bins as I use them daily. With regard to rifle scopes, they are an aiming devise that get used at the range and in the woods - as long as it's reliable, clear and rugged, I don't worry about it much.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
IC B3

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very little.
I will enjoy reading a "gun writers" book, or story, but simply them promoting something typically makes me suspicious.
Remember when bass fishermen didn't have those silly outfits that look like Nascar drivers? I'm waiting for special camo for gunwriters that human eyes can read sponsors but still look like camo to deer........

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not at all, I make up my mind as to what I want and go for it. If I do not like it in the end it was my decision and I have no one else to blame.

Tom
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300MAG
NONE!!!! I choose what works for me, not them.

+1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I never read their optics comment any way

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As was mentioned earlier, I too look for a recent, consistent string of negatives about a product.

If two items are constantly the center of an internet pissing match, I figure they must be pretty much identical and interchangeable. wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Almost none. I've spent enough time at the range trouble shooting other people's scope problems to form my own opinions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm bullhead, but not to the point I refuse to consider the opinion of someone I respect.

Wayne VanZowell has always been high on my list. J.B. has also earned my respect for his experience and evaluations.

Sometimes I think you have to know the writers work well enough to read between the lines to understand "exactly" wait they think and feel about a product.

Last edited by battue; 03/19/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
K
I'd say what I read plays nearly no role.

I do pay attention to reports on some websites. Though I don't let an isolated bad report effect my decision. I'll also pay attention to who is doing the posting. Seems like there's always someone that has an axe to grind with brand X and posts it all over the forums.

The things that are most influential with me are my previous experiences and the experiences of a couple of guys I hunt with.

An example is...I'm a die-hard Leupold fan. I bit on all the hype of the Zeiss Conquest and bought one. Its an okay scope, but there are many things I don't particularly like about it. I've switched back to my Leupy's because I know them and am comfortable with them.

Ken

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by vthunter
I was wondering how much of what you read effects what you buy in regards to optics? Discuss please....

It doesnt.

I'm pretty set in my ways and have been using Burris and Leupold my whole life with great results. Between those two brands at least one of them makes a scope just right for what I am trying to do.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vthunter
I was wondering how much of what you read effects what you buy in regards to optics? Discuss please....

Sometimes a little, sometimes alot. I look for any negatives in a written article about scopes and guns. I look a the pretty pictures the author posted. If I'm thinking I want to put the same scope on the same rifle, how was it mounted? Where the rings used higher than I anticipated, or lower? You can tell alot about real eye relief just by looking at how a scope is mounted on a rifle.

I ignore hype and brand loyality. I read forums, and gather information from real users. Then I decide, what features are important to me, at the price I can afford. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I get it wrong. In the end the final choice is on me. Not some rag writer.

Bob

Last edited by Shadow; 03/30/09.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 51 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,407
Posts18,528,000
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.