Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The admitted fall was bad enough to break the scope. The vxI has replaced the vxII therefore it was replaced with the current product equivalent.

Read the life time warrenty: "If any Leupold Golden Ring product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, we will, at our option, repair or replace it. Free. Even if you are not the original owner."

Where does it say "We will replace or fix for free if YOU broke it." They are living up to their warranty, but that's not good enough for your family. I'm with Leupold.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Warranties are to protect the customer from defects in materials and/or workmanship.

I would never even ask the manufacturer to repair something for free that I broke through misuse or accident. If they want to repair it dirt cheap or even free thats their choice. Its a great way to gain customer loyalty on future purchases but I'd never ask about a freebie.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Much is dependent on who gets the scope on any given day in customer service.

Some 12-15 years ago, I dropped Remington stainless with detachable magazine in .270 some 25 feet to land on a big rock.

Broke the bolt handle off, smashed the DM in and jammed it a bit side ways.

The scope that was on it was a Tasco 3-9X44 World Class Plus, the scope hit so hard that from the W/E adjustment forward was bent on a 60 degree angle, front mount was broke off. I boxed it up and sent it to Tasco asking if they could use anything to reduce my cost for repair. I received a phone call about a week after shipping asking for a check for 5.00. I said "FIVE DOLLARS" and explained I had dropped 25 feet on some rocks. The CS person was acting if I thought 5.00 was too much and explained that I had to pay the return shipping. I explained I was very grateful and damn sure didn't expect a new scope.

Still have a few of the Japanese made Tasco's in different powers.

Called and sent the rifle to Remington with and explanation at to what had happened and got it back with 2-3 weeks looking like new, no shipping, a dime. The CS person I talked to on the phone was very nice and I sent the rifle to her attention.

Again, it all depends who you talk to on what day. If there in a good mood, chances are going to be you are too when everything is over.

Have Fun

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it were a Vortex riflescope that company would fix or replace it no matter how it became inoperable.

VIP Warranty: In the event that a Vortex product requires service, no matter the cause, Vortex Optics will repair or replace the product at no charge.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
They probably welcome the chance to work on scopes people have beat the hell out of. It is undoubtedly an education for them in how to improve scope construction.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A buddy at work sent back a Leupold VariX-III 3.5-10 with a bent tube. He got a call about a week later. They needed a credit card # so they could replace the tube that was bent on the scope. I can't remember what he told me it was, a $100-$150 I think.

I think it all depends on who fixes your scope and what day of the week it is because I've heard of other situations were the owner wasn't charged.

It really doesn't bother me that Leupold would want to be paid to fix a scope that was broke by a owner. Fair is fair, and if you broke you shouldn't be too surprised if you have to pay to get it fixed.

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slm9s
My dad had a similar thing happen to him and his VariX II. Bent the rear just in front of the power ring after not too bad of a slip on the trail elk hunting. Sent it back expecting a new or fixed scope for free based on all the hype of Leupold's no questions asked lifetime warranty. He had to pay $150 for a new VXI. Not VXII, but VXI. Yes I know the whole vxI was replaing variX II, but to charge him and move him down a rung on the model line was a bit of a kick in the shorts.

My family lost a lot of Leupold brand loyalty. But, that's just our opinion.
The VX-I is not down a rung in the line from the discontinued Vari-X II. The VX-I has multicoated exterior lens surfaces and has 1/4 MOA-increment friction windage and elevation adjustments whereas the Vari-X II had a single magnesium fluoride lens coating throughout and 1/2 MOA-increment friction windage and elevation adjustments. So he actually got an upgrade. The Leupold Rifleman is actually the current model closest to the discontinued Leupold Vari-X II.

Last edited by jackfish; 03/17/09.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lots of ways to skin this cat. The wrong attitude isn't one of them.

Last edited by battue; 03/17/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I dropped mine on a rock and dented and bent the tube, but did not break the lens.
I sent it to Leupold and asked them if it could be fixed.
They replied the scope was old and new parts were not available, but they offered my a big discount on a newer, better scope. I was pleased.
Not sure what the answer would have been on a new scope.

stumpy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by cmg
This type of freeloading....

Says something about a guy, too.

Since you seem to be directing that at me with your quote, I'd think you might want to reread the original post before you decide to call me out.

I asked a question about what might be expected from Leupold's warranty service. I did not say that I thought they should repair for free, nor did I say I would be upset if they did or did not, nor that I was even going to send the scope in to them. I clearly said that it was the fault of the user not the product.

I asked a question looking for an answer. I think your response says a bit about yourself.

DD,

if I misunderstood your intention, please excuse.
Rereading, there were quite a few others (native english) that had similar understanding...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had a horse roll over on my rifle and broke the scope in half, I sent them the scope and told them I needed a quote to fix if in fact it could be fixed and it was no fault of theirs..I got a brand new scope in the mail about a week later...How can you fault a company like that.

I had a hunter twist the eyepiece off my binocs in his excitment, much to my dismay..Sent them in and got a new pair, the a month later got mine back repaired, called them and they happy birthday, their mistake, and keep both so it wouldn't mess up their paper work...

Gotta love Leupold, I been a Leupold fan for 50 years, 98% of my scopes have been Leupold for the last 40 years..

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a 25yr? old vari x111 that I wanted to give to my brother. Asked Leupold if they would check it out and make sure it was ok. They did no questions asked and shipped to him in another state. Needless to say I now have alot more Leupold products laying around the house.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I only related my father's story because many people have the belief that Leupold will fix your scope for free regardless of the cause of the problem for the life of the scope. I was simply relating an example of that not always being true. As you've read above some people have had that happen. I was just saying that it doesn't always happen, so people know the whole story if they're deciding what scope to buy.

With the quality of so many brands being so high these days, I think that Leupold has been surpassed in bang for the buck in the working man's hunting scope category. That's just my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.