Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad,

I have a pair of Schnee's sitting in my closet right now, and I tried on a pair of the 2009 Lowa Hunters and compared them side by side. As far as I could tell the only difference was that the Lowa was nubuck vs. full grain, and the extra row of stiching on the Schnees. I can't find the specs on the thickness of the Schnees leather but they felt the same.

I think that the original Lowa Hunter GTX had Duratherm, as compared to the Schnee's version which uses Primaloft. However, the current version of the Lowa uses Primaloft also. I did, just other day, look at an old version of the Lowa sitting on a dealer's shelf, and the upper felt noticeably more supple...but that may have been the fact that it was a small size. It also said "Duratherm" on the lining.

Even Lowa's website listed the 2008 model as having Primaloft. I'm not vouching for a company's website though!

I think the current Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme and Schnee's SheepHunter are nearly identical, save for perhaps one row of stiching.

Check out Baker Shoes out of Oregon. They seem to have good prices, and were very helpful when I talked to them on the phone.

GB1

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JRaw
Check out Baker Shoes out of Oregon. They seem to have good prices, and were very helpful when I talked to them on the phone.

Ordered a pair of 9.5 W Lowa Hunter's from Bakers last night... $349 deliverd. Will report back laugh

Schnees, if they even plan on carrying Wide Sheephunter's any longer, won't have a shipment until AUGUST!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Brad- I hear you on the boot conundrum! I currently go back and forth between my Hanwag's (threw away the custom liners they rave about and quit getting blisters..go figure) and Cabela's Meindl Alaskans. I think I am on a quest to find a boot that has the Hanwag/Meindl upper on a sole that has more flex. That would be my heaven right there!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The irony is the Cabelas Mountain Hunter was perfection for me!

Aggravating they're no longer available... obviously there was some quality issues with them via the manufacturer, but you'd think those could have been resolved... go figure!

Hope the Lowas work for me.

You and I are equally picky about our gear laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Say it ain't so!!!!! grin

IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

Hope the Lowas work for me.

Sadly, the Lowa's from Bakers didn't work... too wide. The "Medium" was too narrow, Wide's too wide. Would also add the Lowa Hunter Extreme is needlessly stiff.

I've bittched about German lasts in the past not working for my feet and, once again, I reconfirmed same!

Anyway, located a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's locally... the 9.5 D's fit PERFECTLY. Not too stiff, not too soft. And, of course, they're made in Italy... my feet have always done best in Italian made boots and, once again, I reconfirmed same!

I walked out with a pair... got them on a good sale too, but would have happily paid full retail for the excellent fit.

Will prolly go shed hunting this weekend and give them a real trial...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 260madman, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,175
Posts18,503,209
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.