Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gun safety presenter shoots self

Saturday, May 1, 2004

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- A federal drug agent shot himself in the leg during a gun safety presentation to children in what police describe as an accident. His bosses, however, are still investigating the incident.

The Drug Enforcement Administration agent, whose name was not released, was speaking April 9 to about 50 adults and students organized by the Orlando Minority Youth Golf Association, witnesses and police said.

He drew his .40-caliber duty weapon and removed the magazine, according to the police report. He then pulled back the slide and asked an audience member to look inside the gun and confirm it wasn't loaded.

Witnesses said when the agent released the slide, one shot fired into the top of his left thigh. The gun was pointed at the floor.

The agent was treated at Orlando Regional Medical Center and returned to work, a DEA official said.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just by chance do DEA agents carry Glocks????

EDIT: Looks like T LEE beat me to that analysis in the "Oh $hit" post...

Last edited by wpayne; 05/02/04.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some do, but most carry Sigs. It's not the gun, but rather the dummie holding it!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I carried a Sig for the last 9 years of a 30 year LE career and it was a great gun. Where most guys mess up is they don't let the ejected round fall on the floor. They try to keep it in their hand, and then they lose track of it. Better to let the thing fall on the ground and pick it up after the pistol is safe.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's better yet, to NEVER pull the trigger unless you intend to shoot the gun! Basic rule #1 for LEO gun safety. I don't know the details on this one, but he will never live it down....

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many moons ago when I was green there was this sergeant of detectives that came limping into the station. Seems a few nights before he was conversing with a patrolman in front of a stop-n-rob and decided to show off his brand new AMT Hardballer (they were the latest rage at that time), well you guessed it, hardball through the thigh. Just got the meat, but he did have something of a hard time living it down. Funny thing was, that sergeant had survived four fire fights starting in the mid 1960's where as a rookie patrolman he stormed a house that had a Vietnam vet. sniper holed up that had killed two and wounded a handful of passers-by. Sarge killed the guy and almost took a 30-06 round in the head.

The truth is that I still hoped that he would show up when things fell apart.

You never know.

S

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,671
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.