Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 94 Toyota pickup with 179,000 miles on it. Its been a great rig and I have never had a problem with it. The only thing that needs attention is the rear springs are getting weak. Anyone ever add overload springs or do anything else to beef up the original springs on one of these?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd get them rearced or replaced unless the reason that they're sagging is that you're hauling heavy loads with it.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree. I've used overloads and they help but fixing the originals is better. If you're hauling heavy loads, take a look at air bags. DO NOT get the shocks with overload springs. The springs are ok but the shock mounts in the truck likely aren't engineered to take the extra stress and could fail.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
air-bags either firestone or airlift are wonderful, no drawbacks at all. I have had one pair 8 years and have torn the airlines out with a blown tire. Plug them in, air up and go.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
94 Toyota pickup isn't realy designed to tow heavy loads. If you need airbags for it you need a bigger truck. Its cool to beef up the suspension but most likey the powertain and drivetrain was not designed for that much weight. I would replace the springs if they are sagg'n due to use.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A co-worker has a Dakota that had airbags. Worked great. Somehow he ripped one of them so he's back to running without them for now though.

I have been contemplating the same thing with my Ranger. Seems that for some reason the smallest trucks on our crew (mine an the dakota) get to haul the most schit to the jobsite. Now the Boss is talking about buying a lumber rack for my ranger.......... crazy

Was looking into the airbags, but I have a few spring packs laying around the place so I might try and beef up what is currently there before I go and spend the coin on airbags.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Metsamies
94 Toyota pickup isn't realy designed to tow heavy loads.

Good thing he never mentioned towing heavy loads. wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you're hauling heavy loads, take a look at air bags. DO NOT get the shocks with overload springs. The springs are ok but the shock mounts in the truck likely aren't engineered to take the extra stress and could fail.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before I had my rear suspension redone, If I just stepped on my rear bumper I was on my overloaders.

Now I have a complete set-up (shocks and leafs) that actually work for $500. I throw my ATV in the back and it hardly moves. Makes for a hard ride but its a 1/2 ton and I work it hard.

Find a suspension place and talk to them about it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,194
Posts18,524,040
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.