-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
looks like i traded a buddy out of his marlin 336 in 35 remington.
he has the missing screw ordered, and after he receives it, puts it in, and makes sure the rifle feeds and functions 100 percent, i'll get it.

now, he sent pics, and it is a bit rough. hunting use ya know...
i have a friend that will park it for me, and another who will make the wood look awesome with an oil finish.
i know there is no collector value here, but i do appreciate a good lookin rifle.

should i or shouldn't i, have it refinished ??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
it has what looks to be really nice wood, so an oil finish may really bring out the bling ??

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sent my 40 year old hunting 336 back to Marlin and it came back like brand new. Per my request they added a front swivel stud to the barrel band and I had then install a guide gun recoil pad. They did the wood and metal and it was reasonable. Really worth it. I can't remember the costs but it was like $175.00 total with shipping. Give them a call and let them quote you a price.

Steve

"Life is tough"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
oh, cool !
thanks for the tip.
i would rather it look original blue'd , not parked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It wouldn't be a dilemma for me - I think it's just fine, as is, for hunting.

I'd just take 'er out dancin'. wink laugh

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by splattermatic
oh, cool !
thanks for the tip.
i would rather it look original blue'd , not parked.

To me , it looks original as is. Refinished would look like , well Refinished . Not saying that is a bad thing . Many folks prefer the looks of a pristine rifle , me , I kinda like the taken care of but used look over the new in box safe queen look.
Gotta go with what makes you happy . There is no right or wrong answer to your question in my books.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
well, talking to my friend, he's gonna refini the stock to get out the dents (steam), and sand, to get out the scratches. the bluing looks good, cept for a few places of light surface rust. he said a bit of very fine steel wool should get rid of it, and maybe a lil cold blueing to touch up.

i'm gonna use it for woods elk and back home in pa. maybe, for deer. i have a few others i'd like to use from the tree stand, like a 338-06, or my old friend, a remmy 30-06 adl.

wanted a nice light carry rifle with a bit of whop....

i'm gonna put a luppy 2-7 on her.

think a 35 rem., is up to elk up close ?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

"..think a 35 rem., is up to elk up close ?"

Silly question, are your elk bulletproof? Our are not even though it is a common belief.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Get the Buffalo Bore 220 gr 35 Remington loads. They should work well for elk.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As per your original question...that gun will never be a collectible anyway, due to the proliferation of the model. That said, it all depends on the money. If you've only got a hundred-and-a-half in it, then send it to Marlin and you'll only have three-twenty-five total. If it looks really good, you can probably get that out of it. Much over that and you'll never come out financially. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

Who's Online Now
530 members (222ND, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,485
Posts18,529,727
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.