Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Exploit code sends Mozilla scrambling to fix Firefox...

ZD Net Story

"Mozilla�s security response team is scrambling to ready a patch for what appears to be a serious security flaw affecting its flagship Firefox browser."

Lets be careful out there guys & gals...
Pat

Cheap things are not good, good things are not cheap.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure if this is related, but every time I've opened Firefox today, I've had the Spanish version!

I thought maybe Hispanics have finally taken over the U.S.... whistle

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A need for scrambling to fix Firefox? Come on, get real. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No Penny, that's caused by, well heck I don't know. I would have thought it sensed your zen and switched to French!

The exploit in question can only happen if you click on a link and get sent to an infected site so it not only depends on using firefox but also on going someplace infected. If you do get infected it will simply prevent your browser from working. That's my 2 cents from the description anyways.

Standard safe browsing caveats should keep you fine until a fix comes out.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs, that brings to mind something that I have been wondering about for a long time. I wonder if there is any way that if the first post in a thread merely contains a link it could be identified as such by some icon that would let us know that is what it is before we waste our time by clicking on that post. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

P
Pat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I didn't think it prudent to post the whole story, not everyone uses Fire Fox, therefore the link.

Pat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Not sure if this is related, but every time I've opened Firefox today, I've had the Spanish version!

I thought maybe Hispanics have finally taken over the U.S.... whistle

Practical joke on a French professor?

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pat, wasn't meant as a slap at you. You provided the link as well as an explanation of what it dealt with in an effort to be helpful. I am thinking of those posts that contain nothing but a link, or a "Check this out." I am one who is very leery of following links and am always dismayed to click a post only to find that it is just another link. I should have made that clearer. Best, John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Double Tap

Last edited by Cheyenne; 03/26/09.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
\ I wonder if there is any way that if the first post in a thread merely contains a link it could be identified as such by some icon that would let us know that is what it is before we waste our time by clicking on that post. Best, John

That would be something Rick would have to look into to see if his message board software would support. I follow a Naval Aviation board that if you hover your cursor over the post it gives you a synopsis of what the post contains and you can see if there is a link or if you want to click on it. That works independent of browser type over there.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmm...guess that might explain why I just got a "Mozilla Crash Report" thing, and my Firefox shut itself down..?! Wierd

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I almost always post at least a teaser of what the link goes to, usually if I just post a link (here is one of my deep dark secrets) it is to a gag of some kind.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

P
Pat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
John, no problem here. (except for the snow) I agree, I do not like links without explanations either.
Gotta go shovel some!

Pat

P
Pat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The up-date is out, for those who care....
Big too 9+ Mb.

Pat

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Was using it yesterday, and got some endless loop about security, that my PC was infected with about 7 different viruses and trojan horses. Since I have a Mac, I ignored it, but it wouldn't go away. I had to shut down the computer and restart to get out of the loop. When I clicked on FF, same thing. I finally shut it down and restarted using Safari with no further problems.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old news (Friday). From slashdot.org under the headline "Mozilla First To Patch Pwn2Own Browser Vulnerability"

"Mozilla has released Firefox 3.0.8 to fix a pair of code execution holes that put users of the browser at risk of drive-by download attacks. It includes a fix for one of the flaws exploited during this year's CanSecWest Pwn2Own hacker contest. The update also fixes a separate zero-day flaw disclosed earlier this week on a public exploit site. Both issues are rated 'critical,' Mozilla's highest severity rating."

Pretty snappy when it comes to fixing problems.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike762
Since I have a Mac, I ignored it, but it wouldn't go away.

Force quit wouldn't work Mike?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No, the option never presented on the FF icon in the dock. Had to shut down the whole computer, twice, and I mean hard shutdown.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (270cowboy, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 63 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,159
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.