-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry if this is a dumb question, and I suppose it may depend on the gunsmith you are using but, here goes.

When you get in line for a custom build with a good gunsmith, do you usually get all the parts collected, send them into your choosen guy and he puts everything together, or???

I've never had a full on custom done, I had Karl Feldkamp do a pretty much complete rebuild on a 7mm-08 for me recently and I am on his waiting list for a full custom, but I have about a year to wait. So, do I start collecting the parts, or does the guys supply the various parts and put them together?? I suppose I should be asking Karl but I've used up my dumb question quota with him already I think:)

I guess I want to be prepared, but what if I say order a McMillan stock for a specific barrel contour, and the smith decides maybe something else it better so you may have stuff collected that isn't the best choice.

Anyway, appreciate any thoughts in this, so that I can best prepare.
Thanks

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always gathered my own stuff and had my smith do the barrel, action, and finishing work to my whim. Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask his opinion before you start collecting parts.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first step towards enlightenment is the admission of ignorance.
If you don't ask, you're not going to be enlightened. I suspect Karl's heard just about every kind of question more than once. When spending cheddar on something that personal, you should get every question you could possibly have answered by the guy doing the work. Don't worry about the dumb questions. And, ask him how he'd like to handle it.

The last rifle I had put together I didn't collect a single thing - gunsmith wanted to do it because he wanted no breakdown in communications etc. I think he knows me too well. grin grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
It can be done either way..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Done it both ways. Honestly, I think I prefer to get all the parts myself. At least the big stuff...action, barrel, and stock. They can always get the little stuff like mag boxes, followers, springs, etc.

Right now I've got a build going that the bottom metal is the only thing holding up the whole process. Everything else is ready to go. In hindsight, I probably would have just gone ADL instead of the DBM.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With front end discussion, one should be able to go either way. The upside to gathering ones parts is that components will be in hand when the project starts. One will not have to wait for a fabrication run on a barrel or stock that just might be 4 to 6 months down the pike. If ordering up your own stuff, just be sure the components will fit without any major reconfiguations.

Above all, put all explicit instructions or desires in writing. I recently wanted an inch chopped off of a 6.5 Swede barrel and recrown that would have left me with a 27.5 inch tube. I had a friend pick it up to avoid 8 hrs of driving, and when he delivered it about a month ago, I had a fine 24 inch barrel.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/26/09.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree can be done either way. For a "screw together" type custom I usually gather the parts up. if there is some major fabrication, or a certain look. I let the gunsmith handel it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your using Karl I would recommend getting a custom action (gonna cost the same as him pimping your stock action if you have to buy a action), Order your stock the way you want but have it sent directly to him (saves shipping). Use his recoil lug and have him order the barrel for you. He gets a discount because of the number of barrels he orders per year. It ends up saving you what his recoil lug cost so its worth it.

Thats the way I do it. I also like him to have the parts in his shop before he calls my name on the list. That way if by chance he finds some free time he can start on mine smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I hadn't put together many (or any) customs I would feel better if an experienced gunsmith was ordering the parts. That way the finished product is more likely to feed properly, balance the way it should, weigh what you want it to, etc. It may not be perfect but you shouldn't get any huge surprises.

Once you put together a few rifles you will develop some definite preferences in what you want for rifle fit and balance. This may not be exactly in sync with what your favourite smith likes. At this point I prefer to collect the parts and send along with explicit directions.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenaiking
If your using Karl I would recommend getting a custom action (gonna cost the same as him pimping your stock action if you have to buy a action), Order your stock the way you want but have it sent directly to him (saves shipping). Use his recoil lug and have him order the barrel for you. He gets a discount because of the number of barrels he orders per year. It ends up saving you what his recoil lug cost so its worth it.

Thats the way I do it. I also like him to have the parts in his shop before he calls my name on the list. That way if by chance he finds some free time he can start on mine smile

Kenaiking,
Thanks for the great information. I did end up emailing Karl today and asking what he would prefer - so will see what he says.
I already have an action that I will have Karl do his magic to like he did with my 7mm-08, it was mainly all the other parts I was wondering about. I'll see what he says in regards to barrel which was my main concern - brand-contour and such.
Thanks everyone for your imput I appreciate it.
Frank

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Karl is finishing up a build for me and I only supplied the barrel. He ordered the custom action, stock, trigger and everything else. I always like the 'smith to order the stock as they know exactly what options to provide when talking odd contour barrels, etc.

With Karl's wait being a year, my custom action was a 9 month wait. Therefore, I just had Karl collect the parts before he was ready to do his work.

Lastly, the one positive about collecting your parts up front is that Karl can deliver gun to your door provided you owned the receiver previously and has already gone through a FFL.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by kenaiking

Kenaiking,
Thanks for the great information. I did end up emailing Karl today and asking what he would prefer - so will see what he says.
I already have an action that I will have Karl do his magic to like he did with my 7mm-08, it was mainly all the other parts I was wondering about. I'll see what he says in regards to barrel which was my main concern - brand-contour and such.
Thanks everyone for your imput I appreciate it.
Frank

No problem,

You might want to look into a custom action. For what you could sell your action for plus the cost of truing it you into a phoenix or stiller. A few bucks more and a Borden.

By the way I bet you end up with a lilja #2 on that build smile

Should be a sweet build whatever it is though. Karl can sure build them. By the way this is totally just my opinion so take it for what its worth......Not Much wink In the end your the only one who has to like what you build.

Last edited by kenaiking; 03/26/09.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,705
Posts18,494,387
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.