Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
hglass,
I'll relate a similar experience I had a couple of years ago:

"I have been working with this rifle and I am finding some sweet spots but.... the first shot is a flyer 3-4" away, at 200, usually low, before it will group. I could live with the third shot being a flyer but the first? Nope that won't work.
The action screws were torqued, barrel is free floated etc. but it seems that something is still tightening up after the first shot.
It seems to be temperature related and not clean vs dirty issue. I wait five to 10 minutes between shots and they will group well but if I wait an hour or better, another flier happens before it settles out again."

I was told to bed it. And then....

"Update. Thanks for the advise that I had more to gain than lose by grinding it up and bedding the action. I just wish I had done it 3 pounds of powder ago. I am very happy to report that I can either let the barrel cool or shoot a string, ....I got 6 into 2.25 at 300, then rounds 7 and 8 were an inch and a half to the right of the group........

Since then the rifle cares not about clean/dirty hot/cold.

I'd suggest not cleaning it one night and then shooting it later stone cold. If the flyer happens bed it. If not, as others said, leave her dirty.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first round from a clean barrel will always be slower and out of the group. The reason is, there isn't any friction from powder residue in the barrel to get the pressure/velocity up. The barrel must be fouled in order to maintain consistent pressures and speeds of the bullet. This is probably the biggest problem of wounded or missed animals during hunts (other than buck feaver). Seemingly everyone cleans and prepares their rifles the day before the big hunt. They oil the barrels, the actions and do their final fondling of their beloved rifles before turning in for the night. All that oil and solvent does weird things to the first bullet down the barrel. That first clean shot will likely be 200-400 fps slower than the same load from a fouled barrel. Trajectory is messed up, the POI is messed up and bullet performance will certainly be messed up. Hence, a missed or wounded critter. ALWAYS fire at least one fouling shot before going hunting or checking POI or shooting for groups. Flinch

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't agree at all with the above statement. I have not found that the first shot goes out of the rest of the group let alone low and let alone slow.

Some rifles do of course and others do the opposite. Those rifles may always do it and others can be corrected.

I have the printout here from my Oehler 35P from the last time at the range with it on May 20 and half of the groups were faster on the first shot and half were slower. One rifle in particular, a new 243 was shooting very small groups from a cold barrel.

On that Springfield it could be a multitude of things but a bad barrel can be forever. If the barrel moves when it's warmed it may be due to stresses in the barrel.

We all face problems like this with some rifles and one has to go thru the most obvious potential problems one thing at a time.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you have already cleaned your rifle, don't sweat it. Take it to the range and shoot it a couple of times-into the backdrop if you can. The reason for this is you already know what the rifle does clean, so why irritate yourself with a flier right off?

Put the rifle on the rack and let it cool- I mean 10-15 minutes cool, not just "well, it didn't sear my hand" cool. Keep it in the shade. Open the bolt. Talk to another shooter, smoke a cigar, get a coke. Don't shoot another rifle if you can help it. This way, you are not recoiled/muzzle-blasted out and your eyes are fresh, and you have a nice cool dirty bore. Like most lessons, this one was expensive for me to learn. As someone else posted, leave it dirty after your hunting season sight-in.

Hope this helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The last 4 letters in American are 'I Can'

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just started shooting a new Ultra Lite Ruger 204. After cleaning with Shooters Choice, the first 5 shot group might be 3", then groups settle down to 1"
Maybe the smaller bore is more affected.
Might be because I only have 50 rounds through it so far.....
Have always figured it took 100 rounds to "settle in" a barrel.
Virgil B.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260Remguy, 59 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,908
Posts18,518,596
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.