Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I think I have read somewhere that the new Rem. have a problem with the bolt/firing pin. About every 50 rounds or so, I will get a slow fire. What would be the cure for this. I sure would appreciate some help on this.

Fred

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have the ISS? ( j-lock-wart ) If so, I would start by replacing the shroud/ pin/ spring assembly? If not, pull the assembly, clean, and re-assemble.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
So what is the J-lock-wart? I have taken it apart and cleaned and inspected it and could not find any symptoms of what was causing the problem.

Fred

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
by slow fire do you mean hangfire? you pull the trigger and there is a perceptable delay before the gun goes bang! if so that's a hangfire and caused by bad ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Or it could be a sticky/fouled sear assembly that hangs up the striker briefly..

Either way, if this were mine I'd be stripping that rifle apart including the trigger unit, cleaning it thoroughly and reassembling for test firing..

Please tell me you have never used WD-40 on this rifle...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have had it apart and cleaned and re-oiled it. It did the same thing with the original trigger and now with a new one. I suspect it is in the bolt. I can hear the delay period between wen I pull the trigger and when the firing pin hits and the round ignites, so I don't believe it is the primer or powder problem. I wonder if changing the firing pin spring replacement might cure the problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doubt it. Did you adjust the new and the old trigger? Try backing off the over travel screw. It needs a little play after the pin drops.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had the same problem with my 30-06 the cause was I was using some loads that I had loaded light and it took time for the powder to ignite. I changed to mag primers to cure the problem. grin

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
It is not an overtravel problem and the loads are near the top. I am quite familiar with triggers, so I would rule that out. The latest trigger is a Rifle Basix and I only adjusted the weight.

Thanks guys

Fred

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fred,

I'm not aware of any problems with the new or old 700's that would cause what you describe other than the fouling issues already mentioned.

If you are 100 percent certain the problem doesn't lie in the trigger, and that you can repeat the same problem using factory ammo, then the problem is likely with the bolt. If the bolt is not completely in battery (closed), then it is possible that the cocking piece could be dragging as it moves forward.

Look the cocking piece over closely for signs of contact such as drag marks on it's sides. Make sure the stock is not preventing the bolt from fully closing. It's mechanical, so unless the tolerances are so out of whack that temperature and expansion is somehow interfering with the movement of the firing pin assy, then I don't understand how or why it is occurring once every 50 rounds or so. Good luck!

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had that problem with a Sako I own.

While setting the trigger pull, I put in too much sear contact. I was hunting shortly after that and got the same problem as you describe. Backed off on the sear, (or trigger), and the problem went away.

Strange though, waiting for the bang!crazy

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Malm

I have checked all of that. I did get an answer on another board. There seems to be one way of correcting this and that is to buy an after market pin and spring. That is likely to be the path I will take.

Fred

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
FredWillis: Mother of Pearl!
Are you saying there is NOW an inherent problem with Remington 700 firing pin/springs?
I own several dozen Remington bolt action Rifles (including many "new" ones) and I have never observed this situation you are relaying.
NOR have I ever heard a Remington owner or a gunsmith mention what you are talking about!
What - pray tell - was the answer you received on "another board" in regards to these Remington firing pin/spring problems?
I am not saying there is not a problem with your firing pin/spring system but I am quite certain there is NOT a systemic problem with Remington 700 firing pin/springs - if there was I am certain I would have heard about it by now.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm with you.. IMHO, it's time to take the rifle to a good smith and have him/her take a good look...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda sounds like some things that I have heard with the spring in a J lock even though he said his did not have one. Could one have been put in by mistake? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
This rifle could easily have been in stock for some years. My suspicions are that it might be a J lock model, even though they were phased out a couple years ago. Whatever the problem, the change of parts is by far the cheapest fix.

Varmint Guy

It does seem to me there might have been some big problems with the ignition system on some models of the 700. In my case, the aftermarket pins and springs just makes sense as an office call to a smith would cost me at least $50.

I am quite confident that the problem lies within the bolt. I remember the time when Remington 700's were the most reliable and accurate guns on the market. Otherwise I would not have bought this POS. Not too bad, I ony replaced the trigger, recrowned the barrel and changed stocks and now the delayed fire.

Do any of you think I would recommend buying a Remington from newer manufacturer? Not a chance in this world.

Fred

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I might suggest that you disassemble it again and coat the moving pieces with layout fluid and dry fire it about 15 times and then CAREFULLY take it apart again and see what is hanging up. This is not a normal 700 problem regardless of what it is!

I haven't heard of a delay but light strikes I have seen. This can be caused by fouling and or contamination inside the bolt. I strip them and the chuck up a wire brush in a drill and give it a good cleaning inside.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
sorry- posted twice...

Last edited by dennisinaz; 03/28/09.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen similiar situations where the bolt was not closing all the way. The notch for the bolt was not inletted deep enough, the handle was not going all the way down, and something inside the bolt or cocking piece was binding.

Tear a thin piece of paper, place it in the bolt notch, close the bolt and see if the paper will pull out or the bolt is holding it in place.

If the bolt handle holds the piece of paper, get some inletting black and place on the bottom of the bolt handle, and shave enough stock material off until the bolt will close without contacting the stock.

I am unable to understand from the description if you are having a slow firing pin fall or if you are having hang fires. Hang fires and slow firing pin fall are unrelated problems, and are cause by two different things.

And, as Malm says, check the overtravel adjustment. This will definately prevent the firing pin from falling, if there is not enough over travel.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by FredWillis
This rifle could easily have been in stock for some years. My suspicions are that it might be a J lock model, even though they were phased out a couple years ago. Whatever the problem, the change of parts is by far the cheapest fix.

Varmint Guy

It does seem to me there might have been some big problems with the ignition system on some models of the 700. In my case, the aftermarket pins and springs just makes sense as an office call to a smith would cost me at least $50.

I am quite confident that the problem lies within the bolt. I remember the time when Remington 700's were the most reliable and accurate guns on the market. Otherwise I would not have bought this POS. Not too bad, I ony replaced the trigger, recrowned the barrel and changed stocks and now the delayed fire.

Do any of you think I would recommend buying a Remington from newer manufacturer? Not a chance in this world.

Fred

Just another anti-Rem 700 troll cruising thru. He really ought to post his anti Rem sentiments over on Snipers Hide. wink

And how hard is it to ID a J lock pin or spring?

MtnHtr

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 66 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,728
Posts18,475,912
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.