Print Thread
Hop To
F
Farming Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Just wanted to know thoughts on the two. Warmth to weight, fit,bulk,water resistance,insulation property when wet, ect,ect?

Thanks

Last edited by Farming; 03/23/09.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Thermawrap parka and a Micropuff vest, so it isn't apples to oranges. I also got them both this winter, and thus haven't put them through the ringer to hard yet.

That said, with regard to warmth-weight ratio and bulk, the Thermawrap impresses me much more. If I hadn't got the Micropuff for under $40, I'd take it back for a Montbell vest (either down or Thermawrap).

Carl

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have vests, Parkas and jackets of both.

warmth to weight and bulk. Montbell hands down clear winner ime

warmth with no qualifiers DAS has it, just like sleep bags, more loft and weight equal more warmth if quality of components is similar.

fit? mine are XLs in everything, the MB is snug fitting, more room in the DAS

insulation both are good just more in the DAS it seems though I'm amazed the warmth that pissant little MB provides (note if Ed T talks about gear, listen)

bulk already covered see above

water resistance, can't say, my insulating garment is just that for insulation, it's precious to me, if it's going to rain or even mist
it will be covered by raingear, though ime often unless I've stopped for a long time if it's warm enough to rain I don't need my insulating layer on.

as examples of use, I normally hunt sheep around Aug 10th the opener.

the MB gets the nod, though my boy used my DAS stuff last year at the same time, he's skinny though I pack more insulation buck nekkid than he does.

if I'm gonna hunt high country after Sept. 1 I'll opt for at least one DAS garment either the vest or the parka and offset that choice with the corresponding MB. Odds are it will be the thermawrap parka and the DAS vest. but I might take my Mtn. Hdwe jacket and the MB vest.

much later than Sept. 20th and I'm DAS on both counts, they're just bulkier and heavier and thus warmer ime.

either way got it made, beats the heck outa what I use to take for "go to hell gear" always carried it in a dry bag on hunts other than sheep hunts to keep in camp in case the weather went to Hades. BTDT

technology is a wonderful thing, we have it sooo freakin good with the choices we have available today.

temps in the time frames I suggested Aug 10 to 30th figure range from high teens at night to 70 during the day and anything in between.

after Sept 1. to the 20th it might get to zero at night and probably only a high of low 60's

after Sept. 20th winter is closing in hard in this country, so below zero should be no surprise

any of those time frames can surprise you with a weird weather pattern but those are pretty good generalizations.

hope it helps, but remember YMMV

Last edited by 1akhunter; 03/23/09.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
F
Farming Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Just sitin in limbo, explorin options.Any input on the DAS,Thermawrap,Mountain Hardwear Compressor,or any other insulators?

Thanks

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Jon,

Go with some cap 3 (some wool3 base if you're not going to be active), followed by an R1 pullover, then a Thermawrap parka, with that Marmot Alpinist I sent you over top of everything and you will be ready for the coldest darkest depths of hell. Just in case satan himself shows up, you can throw a slim fit fleece (i.e. an R2 or 66 deg north) under the Thermawrap and double your pleasure.

I don't own a DAS, but from what I can tell, they're just too bulky for my taste. Extreme warmth in a single garmet to be sure, but I tend to prefer products that lend themselves to multi purpose use. Hence my tendancy to layer.

I have two insulating garments that flat out amaze me. The first is a 66 Degree North Vatnajukal fleece jacket and the second is the Thermawrap parka. Both were purchased based upon the advice obtained here.

I'm a huge fan of Patagonia, and have some of their down products. Their down "sweater" version seems to be an improvement over their regular "down" version. The sweater version lends itself very well to being worn under a shell. The regular down version does not.

IMHO, base and insulating layers are easy. The outer layer is the sticky widget. All the soft shells I have tried are great unless it gets cold. They just don't lend themselves to layering. Fleece is great for the wind, but sucks in the rain. Thermawrap is great in the wind, decent in the rain, but sucks for durability and is mediocre at being quiet. Goretex is great in all but the worst rain, sucks at breathing, and is borderline at best for being quiet. A true hardshell is great for wind and down pours but flat out sucks for stealth.

I'm still looking for the piece of cake that I can have and eat too. My latest solution to this is a 2007 model Sitka 90% jacket ordered a size too large. We'll see how that works out.

Let me close by saying that the advice you will find by searching the BPing forum of this site is unparralled. If it sounds for a minute like I know what I'm talking about, I don't. Rest assured, I have just drawn upon the wisdom of many here. I'm still a blind squirle.

And if my wife could give you one piece of advice, it would be not to listen to ANY of these schmucks on this site. They're just going to cost you a lot of money wink I can't afford one more good deal...

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
IC B2

F
Farming Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Don't think I'm headed for the bowels of hell,but might be.I figure if rain is nasty I'll go with hard shell and give up a little stealth.I'm not that guiet anyway.Thought if I get light enough gear it would allow luxery of packing a extra piece,be it a hard shell,insulator,or soft shell.I have a 90% and I like it but not sure I would consider it a rain piece.Like others have said, if its warm enough to rain ,probably don't need warmth,if cold enough for snow don't need water protection.Option for hard shell figuring if somthing is spotted I could shed it for final stalk.

F
Farming Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Would add that I pretty much settled on wool for base layer a while back,but the insulator is the focus now with bulk/weight/marmth being the main objective.I appreciate all the input.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
high of 29 here yesterday, started the day around 0 I reckon.

I wore a t'shirt and my MB thermawrap jacket, twas all I needed.

though wasn't outside for extended periods.

if you want minimal bulk and weight to warmth, I'd say Montbell is your hands down winner.

though I'd go for the parka perhaps as it has the hood.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
F
Farming Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
My wife would have to concure with your wife.I shouldn't listen to what is said on this forum,it's just going to cost money.The way I see it is...There is a lot of experience here and some have spent good money as well as time to find out what does and does not work.This in the long run will save us the agony of trial and error and money.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Anyone have any experience how Integral Designs Dolomitti Jacket compares to the MB Thermawrap?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good info here... One item not mentioned is the North Face Redpoint Jacket and Vest (Primaloft). I have had the Redpoint Vest and currently have a Redpoint Jacket... pretty sturdy and warm (seems to me some of the Montbell stuff is pretty lightly constructed, but don't know about the Thermawrap... never seen one). I prefer the NF Redpoint to the Patagonia micro Puff vest I have, but mine isn't the newer version Patagonia with the current insulation (Climashield I think).

Another jacket I just ordered is a Marmot Zeus down sweater... got it on a close-out for $59! regular price, $150... 800 fill down, 12 oz total weight. Will report back laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don't have the Thermawrap, so I can't comment on that. But I do have a set of Puff Ball vests, a Micro Puff Pullover and a DAS parka.
None of the above will take much rain. Carry a waterproof shell w/ pit zips for that.
I gave away my two goose down vests when I got my first Puff Ball vest. That's because it was lighter, much more compact and every bit as warm. If you go with a Puff Ball vest, try on one one size smaller unless you plan to use it on top of lots of insulation layers. I use my smaller one alot more than my regular size one.
The Micro Puff PO has to be the warmest thing I've found that compresses that small by a good bit.
Don't get any of them wet. None of them pass moisture for beans. Not for the hunter that is on the move, especially climbing. Way too warm, even in sub zero temperatures. Worst of all, they don't pass moisture worth a hoot. For that time when you stop and bundle up so you can glass for a while or enjoy a lunch break.
The DAS parka is much the same but far warmer than the Micro Puff PO. For twice the bulk when stuffed, it feels like its' 3X warmer. E

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Thermawrap's are pretty darn light material. Not what you want for brush busting. But I have used mine hard for 3+ years and the fabric was fine. I did blow a zipper this past fall and they sent me a new parka with a better zipper than my 1st model.

Thermawrap parks and vest are my go to insulation year around.

I also have owned several Patagonia Puffbals and got a Mountain Hardware Hooded Compressor jacket this year. I like the Compressor a lot, but use it more for around town or day hikes, The Mont-Bell is what stays in my pack.

I also use the Thermawrap Parka, vest and pants as a part of my sleep system. Using those, I can take a 15-25 degree F bag down to well below zero with a good pad.

I also have a Mont-Bell down Half Sleeve jacket taht is a lot warmer than a vest but layers better than a jacket.
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=71&p_id=2301288

Ed T

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.