Went to Walmart yesterday and they had some 100 pack 22 LR. $7.99

ouch

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Just going to get worse if they pass bill for the ammo tax�5 cents a shell to start with. Then wait for all the taxes on keeping firearms�you guy do know that mass storage of more that 250 rounds or primers is a crime that is soon to be enforced�don�t get mad at me just stating the facts�Wake up America and take back OUR FREEDOM!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought 1k of Federal LR match primers today for $34. I left 2k more at the store. They had 6k of WLRs on the shelf for 28 per k. I also picked up a pound of RL17 at the same shop. BTW, a guy called about the primers and was coming to get all of the Win primers. Of course, they had no SR primers.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All those guys buying up huge stocks of ammo and components are going to take a beating when the bottom falls out of the panic.
Only what they deserve.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by TSEMP
you guy do know that mass storage of more that 250 rounds or primers is a crime that is soon to be enforced�don�t get mad at me just stating the facts�

Ummmm.....got a link?

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildswalker
Originally Posted by TSEMP
you guy do know that mass storage of more that 250 rounds or primers is a crime that is soon to be enforced�don�t get mad at me just stating the facts�

Ummmm.....got a link?

Damn they will give me 3 life sentences without parol

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks
All those guys buying up huge stocks of ammo and components are going to take a beating when the bottom falls out of the panic.
Only what they deserve.

I'm sure there are some guys sitting on stuff. However there are a lot of guys who are buying it and shooting it. 10,000 primers won't last a year if you shoot 200 rounds a week which is nothing for an AR type guy or a competitive handgun shooter and there are tons of them.

Some of it is new people as well. Good for them. Buy a new firearm and start to load for it.

Why do I think that? Because obviously old reloaders are buying up all the reloading dies. Try to find a set of .45acp reloading dies. Good luck. Even on Ebay the only new set is by Dillon for a progressive press. No one has new hornady, lee, rcbs, redding .45 die sets in stock not even on gunbroker. I don't think people are hoarding those. Those are likely people who just got into firearms or recently expanded their ownership of different calibers.

Call RCBS and they will tell you they are selling more dies and reloading gear weekly now than they did at month long stretches before.

I honestly think hunters in general were the last to get on the bandwagon and see it coming. In the AR/AK community it started last summer months before the election when it became clear McCain would loose. Guys were already stocking up on ammo in June/July and primers as well. I think hunters in general have primers on hand and when they run out (which isn't often considering how long 1,000 primers will last a typical hunter reloader) that they expect to go out and get more. People who really burn up the powder started noticing a lot further back because they typically try to keep a few months supply at a time.

Last edited by NathanL; 03/28/09.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went to my favorite gun shop this morning and they had zero primers. Yep zero. They usually have several brands, couple of cases each. Said they've been out for a while and don't know when more will be coming in.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how active some of the gunshops are at pursuing stuff like hard to get primers. The local shop here is pretty small. Maybe 10 rifles in stock and about 10 handguns and every week I go in there he has a new stack of CCI/Winchester/ and a few federal bricks of primers every week.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My local gun shop has been out for a couple of months but called me last week to let me know they got a little bit of primers and powder in. When I went there they had several cases a primers but only 10lbs of powder. They also told me that their supplier has been out since the first of the year and picked up what little they had from a gun show. I picked up a couple of bricks of primers and a couple of pounds of powder. That should tie me over for a month or so. Everytime I check Midway USA they are out.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shoester5
My local gun shop has been out for a couple of months but called me last week to let me know they got a little bit of primers and powder in. When I went there they had several cases a primers but only 10lbs of powder. They also told me that their supplier has been out since the first of the year and picked up what little they had from a gun show. I picked up a couple of bricks of primers and a couple of pounds of powder. That should tie me over for a month or so. Everytime I check Midway USA they are out.

Midway allows you to backorder items they don't have in stock. Any they get in is already sold.

Try somewhere that just puts it up as it comes in and then sells it. That or get on the backorder list.

Otto is my co-pilot.
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I went to a local gun show today and to my suprise there was a table with a bunch of primers for sale. The guy sold most of his primers yesterday but had a few packs of 100 here and there, I picked up a couple hundred CCI large rifle magnums, he was selling them for $5.95 per 100. I am planning on going to the Reno gun show next weekend, should have some good luck there also.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by shoester5

Midway allows you to backorder items they don't have in stock. Any they get in is already sold.

Try somewhere that just puts it up as it comes in and then sells it. That or get on the backorder list.

I buy all my primers and powder locally because of the Hazmat fees. I buy most of my equipment from Midway. While I'm at their site ordering equipment, I check the status of primers and powder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's what I'm saying. The people who do backorder get whatever comes in - meaning none of it will actually reach the website. To show up on the website they first have to fill up 6 months of backorders now.

Midway will also notify you the second an item is avaialable. I've seen it happen a lot lately. Someone post over on ARFCOM that XXX is in and 20,000 hit it right away.

Basically just because a website "never" shows any for sale doesn't mean they are not selling any.

Last edited by NathanL; 03/30/09.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK. I got an explanation on primers today from a dealer. The manufacturers of loaded ammo can't load enough ammo because of hoarders and panic. Therefore there isn't enough primers for the reloaders.

A few at the gunshop today were stocking up on gun powder and vac-sealing them for storage. The sky is falling especially with what is going on in NY at the moment.

And the higher prices on guns and loaded ammo is not only the manufacturers but the wholesalers. The wholesalers are really gouging and taking us the consumers for a ride. $150 - $200 increase in AR wholesale prices. OUCH!!

Look out. It's going to get worse.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
260madman,

I was told the same thing about primers by two locally owned gunshops here. One (the usually more well stocked one) was out of primers completely and could not get any more at the moment.

I went to the other shop and they still had some, I went ahead and stocked up some more, bought a brick of WLR for $32.00, a brick of Federal 215M for $32.50. Normally, I considered this shop a little steep on their prices but I have to give them credit, they didn't try to gouge their customers and said they didn't believe in doing so.

They will get more of my business.

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The shop I was at this morning sold 20,000 primers(4 cases) by 10:00 this morning. Glad I don't need any for about 10 years. I got mine before the scare.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
This week I about doubled my supply. I bought 3K small pistol (winchester and remingtons) and 2k CCI LR and 1K CCI LRM. The small pistol isn't my usual brand but I figure it won't matter much. I didn't get any great deals but didn't get screwed either. The cheapest was 31.95/K and the most was 33.99/K

I was trying not to get so caught up in this, but I went to two places in Connecticut and they were out, so I figured get enough to see me through for a year or two.

Its strange, In CT they were hard to find but pretty easy in upstate NY.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are still making them as fast as possible. Supplies are spotty but good stores are still getting them and not gouging prices. Paying $150-$170 for 1000 primers is nothing short of stupid, wait a few days and there will be supplies trickling through.

At one local store 4 days ago I bought 4,000 primers, 1000 each of 4 different types. The most I paid was $32/1000 for Match primers.
Today at another local store I bought 3,000, 1000 each of 3 different sizes, the most I paid was $32.95/1000.

Both stores limit you to 1000 per size but you can come back the next day for 1000 more. Seems sensible enough for me. You can buy all you want just don't buy all of one size so the guy behind you can have some too.

Please don't pay stupid prices for primers. If we don't the jerks that are trying to profiteer won't keep buying up large quantities thinking they will get rich off of the trend...........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've seen boxes of 1000 primers selling for $75+ on auction sites this week......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.