Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To Grand Veneur

It seems that you understood what i meant when i was writing respect. I agree with you. And cmg is right too, respect is also in the hunt. I think it's a way of life and a way of thinking.
You have a lot of luck to hunt such places in Belgium, i know a little about and they are fabulous. Where you from? The Ardennes may be?

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not so south but Belgium is quite a little country ... The Ardennes are quite easy to reach from here but I'm from the "Entre-Sambre-et-Meuse".

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grand Veneur,CMG,Marseilles,Andre and the rest of our European Contingent, I certainly am not quibbling about the respect. You guys have some fun hunts and some excellent trophies. GV, allow me to rephrase: Do you keep the meat from a boar you kill??

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Evil Twin,

Sorry not to answer you. About the meat it depends where you hunt. In most parts of France, Italie, Portugal, Spain where we hunt in group (driven hunts is also a social activity) meat is divided and each parts are drawn by hunters, the one that as shot an animal can choose his part. You must understand that a lot of hunting teams are formed by people living close together in villages or very small towns. In the eastern part of France near german border (Alsace) you pay only for hunt, the meat is sold to meat processor and the hunter must pay for his part. There are also exceptions. In Germany generaly it's the same has i was told by my german friends but as they hunt on their territories german hunters can also have agreements between each other. The monney earnt selling meat is reintroduced in the management of their territories, buying corn, salt, buiding high seats and so on...
When i hunt alone, stalking wild boar, roe deer, mouflon, gams or even stag i keep the meat but as i have enough for years i share it (for free naturally) with hunting friends or old people, former hunters that can't go no more hunting. Some people sell the meat but that's every one way of doing.
So to be short depends of where you hunt the meat is kept by hunters or sold to meat processors. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here are three pictures that will help you understand, may be a little "gore" for US tastes they represent well the end of a good hunting day. We were around 30 hunters and dog leaders, we got seven wild boars (only male) which were shared between all the guys who wanted some meat. Note that we have a big cooler room on this hunting area and a house where we share meals and some drinks after the hunt, taking time to relax and enjoy before returning to the job and civilization.....
Dom

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
A
Andre Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Same here, Dominique. Small hunting parties with only a few kills may cut up and divide the meat between members but once the "tableau" gets more important, the venison is sold to a wholesaler and the (small) proceeds of the sale come back to the common purse (it helps to take care of the ever growing hunting costs).

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Grand Veneur,CMG,Marseilles,Andre and the rest of our European Contingent, I certainly am not quibbling about the respect. You guys have some fun hunts and some excellent trophies. GV, allow me to rephrase: Do you keep the meat from a boar you kill??

Still have much more than I can eat in the freezer crazy

I need help laugh

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Gents!! I was aware of how it is usually done in Germany but did not kow what the other hunter countries do. I gather that land suitable for and open to hunting is at a real premium in Europe and that maintaining those lands comes at a cost not to mention what must be a lot of difficult and exasperating regulations. My hat is off to you guys. Good Hunting Gents.GV, I heard you are a helluva good gourmet cook. Maybe worth a trip to help you eat your game<<GRIN>>

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To Evil Twin,

Why not we have no problem with US people and it's always interesting to meet other people and exchange ideas and recipes
Sorry i think the pictures were blacklisted...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marseille,the pics weren't blacklisted. Rick Bin isn't anal about game pics or butchering. That's what this joint is all about. Maybe a glitch with you photo host. As far as a trip goes, I have a hunt for bison in the works for late this year nad am already conspiring to commit another moose murder in Newfoundland the next year. IF I hit the lottery, I would be thrilled to pay GV and the rest of you a visit. Just keep me out of civilized areas and I'm a well behaved lad!! grin

Hey Marseille, you pics are UP and they are mighty cool!!! grin grin grin

Last edited by EvilTwin; 03/24/09.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Evil twin i'll hunting moose and whitetail deer in Finland from 20 to 25 of november and i have a driven hunt in Sweden for a mixed bad of moose, deer and boar in middle october but you're welcome for the rest of time from 1st of september till 28 of february. Life is too short not to hunt!!

I like your motto so much and i sent you some words from your third president.[Linked Image]

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
sorry it's a mistake here are the words[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marseilles, I sent you a PM

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Marseille,the pics weren't blacklisted. Rick Bin isn't anal about game pics or butchering. That's what this joint is all about. Maybe a glitch with you photo host. As far as a trip goes, I have a hunt for bison in the works for late this year nad am already conspiring to commit another moose murder in Newfoundland the next year. IF I hit the lottery, I would be thrilled to pay GV and the rest of you a visit. Just keep me out of civilized areas and I'm a well behaved lad!! grin

Hey Marseille, you pics are UP and they are mighty cool!!! grin grin grin

ET ... I'd be glad to welcome you if you come to Belgium some day (but I'm afraid it's difficult to stay really far from civilization around here ... crazy Even wild boars often cross city limits ... )

Marseille, I guess you hunt mostly with long range running dogs down there in the south ... What a sun ... I'm almost freezed when I hunt boars around here.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Marseille
To Muledeer,

There are genetical differences between domestic pork and european wild boar (sus scrofa scrofa). The pork have 38 chromosomes and the wild boar only 36. They can hybrid together and then the first generation has 37 chromosomes. After they can get 36,37 or 38 chromosome. But there also the big bulgarian, turkish and iranian wild boar (sus scrofa attila) that have 38 chromosomes and can grow bigger than western european boar. That's for genetics. In Europe we try not to call a wild boar a pig simply by respect for such a fearless and tough wild game, intelligent and adaptable. Even if we shoot and kill boar we respect it as a tough adversary, stalking a real big wild boar is a very interesting hunt and you come back most of time empty hands. The pork is an animal only bred for meat that is slaughtered and butchered not hunt.I know that feral pigs can get really bad but it's not really the same thing. As Grand Veneur wrote it's the same as a Cape Buffalo and a Longhorn or Angus Bull.
Sorry if i can't explain you really what i mean because of my poor english, hope that you get the feeling.

Dom

Thank you -- I understand your point. I think the difference may be that your wild boars were never domesticated, while the ones we have in the USA were once domesticated -- brought in from Europe by pioneers -- and escaped to the wild. They have largely reverted to the original genotype, but they are not native wildlife.

I want to thank all of you from Europe who have contributed to this thread -- this has been very enlightening and very interesting. It's always good to gain perspective.

Friend John from Sweden -- are you reading this? Could you step in and tell us about wild boar hunting in Sweden? That should make an interesting comparison with France, Belgium, Germany and other parts of "The Continent".

Thanks,

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for all the great info & pictures. Please post frequently. I am a pig/hog/boar slut here in the US. I have hunted quite a bit in Scotland & England & next trip I want to schedule a boar hunt in France. I am told its a short trip under the channel by train. My Scottish friends have sent me several articles about free ranging hogs outside of London going feral. For what ever reason there have been reports of several attacks. One was at a school & serious injury was barely averted.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Marseille,

How did you hunt those boar in the photos?
Man drive, dogs, stands, combination?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Lee24

These boars were hunted with dogs, the drive was from 0900 to 1200am, we were hunting on a wooded piece of land with wineyards on the outskirts, about 650 hectares. There are three teams of dogs, and on this hunt there were 26 posted hunters.
[Linked Image]
Here is a picture i took with dogs and dogs leaders. ( i drive dogs too)
All the game is wild free ranging and generally shot on the run, while full speed.
We can also hunt wild boar by stalking (very difficult and interesting) or on stand but in south of France "battue" is the way we hunt.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To TBear,

Thanks for your greetings. About feral hogs for sure they can be very aggresive because they know men and are no more affraid of him. We have no more in France now, i think cause we erradicated them and introducing bred wild boar in the wild is strictly forbidden.
[Linked Image]
If you like boars here is one shot with 12gauge coach gun during the beat while he was charging dogs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice pictures, Marseille.

Va t'in tch�re !
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
To the Europeans that contributed to this link - thank you!

It is SO interesting to read about how things are done on your side of the ocean. Please continue your posts, and encourage your friends to do the same. I know that many of us enjoy the education!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

744 members (16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.