Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Steelhead,

Nice bear! I would have no problem with a bear like that!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Monsieurs Andre and Marsielle;
Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us.

I like the tusk presentation that you both have as well as the hunt photo from Monsieur Marseille.

Thanks to Mr. muledeer for adding his boar photo as well.

It is always interesting to see how folks hunt in other parts of the world, especially for animals we don�t see locally.

Thanks again all.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
one of the ones i got this year [Linked Image] last years boar [Linked Image] and one i had mounted [Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Makes my 280 pound bear look small.

[Linked Image]

It's all the fur on the bear.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ain't it always.......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

A
Andre Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Here's another nice one, shot in '97 with a .300 Win Mag on invitation at the Royal Hunting Preserve of St.-Michel-Fre�r.
[Linked Image]

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Andre, superb mounts!! Do you guys get to keep any of the pork?? If so, how good is it??

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Sanglier isn't a pork, ET ... wink

Very nice trophies Andre, and great honour to have taken the second one on the Crown's preserve. Was it during a driven hunt ?

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GV, great to see ya back with us!!! OK! Whutinhell is the difference between Sanglier and a pig?? I thought they were porkers!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been out of the forum for a long time ... Quite boring hunting season (and nothing to write about it) 'til the very last days of it, heavy working monthes at the office, and I eventually moved to a new house where I had no Internet connection up to the last week.

Nice to read you again.

Well, there are members of the same family but they are quite different. Would you tell a cape buffalo is a cow ? That's my feeling about wild boars (you name them Russian boars IIRC) and pigs. The first ones are wild games, the second ones are just ... farm or industrial meat ... That's a personal "freeware" opinion, of course.

mmmh ... 17.42 PM ... Time to take the '70, drive 15 minutes and try to see and kill one of those ... "pigs" ..

Last edited by grand_veneur; 03/22/09.

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B3

A
Andre Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
During a drive hunt, yes, Grand Veneur. I've been quite often in St-Michel and am invited once every 3-4 years in Ciergnon(that's quite something !), the private hunting grounds of the Royal Family. I'm still on the Royal Palace's civil list (at least I do hope so...). This dates back to the days I was the managing director of the Belgian hunters association.

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Well, there are members of the same family but they are quite different. Would you tell a cape buffalo is a cow ? That's my feeling about wild boars (you name them Russian boars IIRC) and pigs. The first ones are wild games, the second ones are just ... farm or industrial meat ... That's a personal "freeware" opinion, of course.

I quite agree with you, though I tend to call meat from wild pigs "pork". What is the meat called in your country? Other nations in Europe? Maybe we need to adopt a new name for the meat from wild pigs, though given the tendency of Americans to be casual rather than precise, it might be a lost cause.

This, by the way, I absolutely love:

"This is my opinion! There are many like it, but this one is mine! My opinion is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, like I master my life. Without me, my opinion is useless. Without my opinion, I am useless. I must fire my opinion true!"

Nicely done!

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I do like those mounts ....

self to 'opinion' quit shooting those Sows (or young Boars) for quality meat and get a Boar for a mount whistle

'opinion' to self ... "sounds like a plan" laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We killed a few of the nasty bastards this year. I went after them again this weekend. I didn't kill any pigs but I did shoot a nice bobcat this morning.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Andre
During a drive hunt, yes, Grand Veneur. I've been quite often in St-Michel and am invited once every 3-4 years in Ciergnon(that's quite something !), the private hunting grounds of the Royal Family. I'm still on the Royal Palace's civil list (at least I do hope so...). This dates back to the days I was the managing director of the Belgian hunters association.

Then I think I know who you are.

I've visited St Michel & Freyr last september, day and night, with the main warden and 2 friends that were among the "new hunting licenses" guests the previous seasons.

Quite an impressing territory with quite impressive stags. Stalking there could be the experience of a hunter's lifetime.

Va t'in tch�re !
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To Muledeer,

There are genetical differences between domestic pork and european wild boar (sus scrofa scrofa). The pork have 38 chromosomes and the wild boar only 36. They can hybrid together and then the first generation has 37 chromosomes. After they can get 36,37 or 38 chromosome. But there also the big bulgarian, turkish and iranian wild boar (sus scrofa attila) that have 38 chromosomes and can grow bigger than western european boar. That's for genetics. In Europe we try not to call a wild boar a pig simply by respect for such a fearless and tough wild game, intelligent and adaptable. Even if we shoot and kill boar we respect it as a tough adversary, stalking a real big wild boar is a very interesting hunt and you come back most of time empty hands. The pork is an animal only bred for meat that is slaughtered and butchered not hunt.I know that feral pigs can get really bad but it's not really the same thing. As Grand Veneur wrote it's the same as a Cape Buffalo and a Longhorn or Angus Bull.
Sorry if i can't explain you really what i mean because of my poor english, hope that you get the feeling.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Friends,

reading through this thread, I think, we must not let ourselves get carried away to much.

Sus scrofa is the wild form of our domestic pig. Chromosome differences none withstanding, let domestic pigs run will a few generations and the phenotype reforms back to what we know as Sus Scrofa. Size differences between regions depend much more on food availability, innerspecific competition and the time giveb to each pig to grow large (hunting ;)).

Calling to much attention to the nomenclature, either scientific (Sus scrofa scrofa attila...) or "hunter talk" (not "pigs", it is "Russian Imperial Boar") easily gets carried away.

Example:

German language: Wildschwein --> Wild Pig
Hunter talk: Schwarzwild --> Black Game

This discribes wild boar in german and german hunter talk.
When we adress the species as such, german hunters will say "Schwarzwild" meaning "Black Game". Whem adressing one single animal, it either gets identified by ageclass name or refered to as "Schwein" a "Pig".

Nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

It is true. Language shows respect. It can also show closeness, familiarity and such. Showing respect to game animals is much more in the hunting of them, than in the talk.

Just my .02 Euro. laugh

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic tusk mounts, Andre. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cmg
It is true. Language shows respect. It can also show closeness, familiarity and such. Showing respect to game animals is much more in the hunting of them, than in the talk.

Just my .02 Euro. laugh

Absolutely true ... I was not in a philosophical deep disagreement wink. We could also discuss the terms we use in local languages ... Could be fun.

But there is somtehing I would'nt admit ... When I go to the restaurant and order some dish based upon wild boar meat ... I can't admit to receive ... pig meat laugh

So when I cook pheasant meat, I name it pheasant
When I cook hare meat, I name it hare
When I cook roe deer, I name it roe deer

The same with wild boar.

Anyway, I have no problems with other habits ... and Andre's trophies seem absolutely great to me.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Andre, congratulations on a fine hunt and superb trophy!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,876
Posts18,518,127
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.