-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm going to Africa in November, and I hope to have a day or two to go fishing. I'll be in southern Mozambique, and will have the option of fresh or saltwater (tigerfish? bonefish?).
Has anyone here fished anywhere in SE Africa?
Does anyone know where I can find more information?
Thanks

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Go look at Larry Dahlberg's website.
He has filmed several shows on fishing trips in Africa.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sourmash,

the saltwater fishing that time of year is superb. The farthest south I have found bonefish is just south of Inhambane, the Ponta da Barra area. The vast lagoon there has some, sometimes a good number of bones. Based on what bonefish like, you should find some in the Quissico area, between Xai-Xai and Inhambane as well.

The offshore fishing is VERY good that time of year. Sails, blue/stripped marlin, dorado, tuna. Haines Deep Sea Charters is a good operator with well-kept gear.

As for tigerfish, the Zambezi is A+++.
(All the above from personal fun.)

Where are you going? I have a number of contacts there and could get much more specific if you wish.

dan

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
DanD-
I'll be three days in Maputo, (staying with people who live there) before heading to a lodge in Kruger. No time for hunting on this trip, but at least I can get a few days of fishing.
I dearly love both river fishing and offshore, though I'd rather go for dorado & tuna than billfish (need to keep the wife & kids entertained).
I have googled up some guide services, and I have my host looking, but general info from an unbiased source is almost non-existent.
Thank you for the reply!
You help me with this and I'll show you how I catch 30+ pound flathead catfish in the Grand River near Grand Haven, if you don't mind fishing with a troll... ;>)

-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hell sourmash,

most trolls are cool;)

I'll contact my buds in maputo and see what shakes out of the vines. As it is summer there, and very warm, I'm betting the offshore action will be very good. I know it is that time of year in Richard's Bay, RSA-- which is well south of the Kruger line.

Give me a day or so and I'll have some contacts for you.

djd

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You are one cool yooper. I'll be patiently waiting & watching for what you can come up with.
Man, I love catching dorado (dolphin, as we called them in the keys) and tuna? Excellent.
Anything (legal) you'd like delivered or picked up while I'm there?

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
After todays "April Fools" garbage clears I would go to the forums at Accurate reloading.com and ask the folks in the forums African Sections. A lot of them spend enough time on the continent that they may be of assistance

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks!

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sourmash,

I'm coming up empty on the maputo area except for the island. My buds either stay and fish in south africa or head up to Inhambane.

I'm still waiting on one fellow to get back with me. He's been up in the north for the last two weeks and gets back thursday or fri.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, we have until November.
My contacts there in Maputo have found associates of theirs who are fishing enthusiasts. They are asking me to choose between deep sea fishing out of Maputo vs. tiger fishing in RSA somewhere near Swaziland.
Easy choice. I told them "both".
Whatever you come up with, I'd be happy to hear about.
Inhambane requires my hosts to take too much time off work, though they said they have stayed at Xai Xai and would do so again in a heartbeat...
Thanks

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The tigerfish angling near Swaziland is most probably at Pongola Reserve/Josini Dam. A small section of the north part of the reservoir is in Swaziland, the vast majority is in South Africa.

I've fished it a number of times, and I'll be fishing it again in June with some clients. I would MUCH rather be fishing it in Nov as June is a bit slow, actually more than a bit. Rapalas work quite well, shad raps or floaters. If you're a fly guy big gaudy streamers seem to the trick quite well. There are some really nice lodges in Pongola, and not rpicey. They have boats and guides, also reasonably priced, too.

I'm also going to be in MOZ in late June/early July. I'll get some info, and probably some contacts for the Maputo area while I'm there.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Dan. Have a great trip.
Looking forward to hearing about it when you return.
Taking the non-stop from ATL to JNB?
Tony

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Tony,

don't like being in the tin can for that long. Going through Amsterdam. Not only do i get to stretch my legs for a few hours, but.... no, not that! as this trip the family is joining me for two weeks... but it's saving me nearly $3600 in air fare than by going direct.

dan d

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A hundred bucks or so per ticket adds up quick when you have a group.
Have a great time, and any tips on traveling to Africa with teenagers would be appreciated.
T

-Mark Twain
~ Winston Churchill

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sourmash,

just got back saturday from africa.

Made it to Maputo for a couple of days and came up with nothing seriously interesting in the fishing department in that specific area. North to Inhambane, and south to Richards bay, quite a bit however.

I did fish Josini for a few days as expected with clients just last week. Even though it was June, a very slow time for Tigers, we caught quite a few very nice ones up to 4 kilos.

My teenager, a 16 going on 27-yr-old daughter, had a ball. Josini, Pongola is quite beautiful, and they have a seriously spa at Mvubu lodge where the drinks are dirt cheap, the food very good, and the views from the chalets spectacular.

St. Lucia is very close, as is Umfolozi Park for some wonderful game opportunities. Pongola?Josini area has a lot of game as well.

dan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,099
Posts18,522,287
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.