Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Developing, from FOX news:

At least five people were shot Friday and 41 hostages taken at an immigration center in upstate New York.

There may be some fatalities in the rampage at the American Civic Association in Binghamton, N.Y., but police declined to say whether that's the case.

Binghamton Police told FOXNews.com that they couldn't confirm whether any of the shooting victims died and declined to comment on the number shot because it was still "an active scene."

A spokesman said SWAT team officers have surrounded the building but "they do not have it secured."

Five people with gunshot wounds were being treated at the local Wilson Medical Center, one in critical condition, said Christina Boyd, a vice president for community relations.

Hospital staff were in the process of notifying the families. None of the victims were identified, and there were extra doctors and nurses there to handle the emergency.

Binghamton Mayor Matthew Ryan told the local Press & Sun Bulletin newspaper that the gunman had a high-powered rifle. The shooter was described by local media as an Asian male in a green jacket.

Apartments and schools in the area have been evacuated or are on lockdown.

The mayhem began about 10:30 a.m. EDT Friday.

There were classes scheduled Friday at the immigration services center, located in the same town as the State University of New York Binghamton (SUNY) campus.

Four people were taken from the building on stretchers and moved to hospitals. The Binghamton SWAT team is on the scene.

At least four people have been shot and several people taken hostage at an immigration services center in Binghamton, N.Y.

Mayor Matthew Ryan tells The Binghamton Press & Sun Bulletin on Friday that the gunman has a high-powered rifle.

The newspaper reports there are 41 hostages in the building of the American Civic Association. It says apartments are being evacuated.

I wonder if P-BO's peeps are behind all this stuff in order to get the masses all whipped up on gun control... mad

Last edited by Redneck; 04/03/09. Reason: to give proper credit

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Possibly another manchurian candidate event to distract the people from Gordon Brown's proclamation yesterday at the G-20 of a New World Order. Another attempt at gun control too, no doubt. Almost certain that it's another kook that is taking some prescription nerve pill of some sort. Make sure and take your Zoloft as prescribed.

Last edited by I_will_be_Frank; 04/03/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tell me again New York, how are those Draconian Gun Laws working out for ya? Feel bad for anyone that lost family in this. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by I_will_be_Frank
Almost certain that it's another kook that is taking some prescription nerve pill of some sort. Make sure and take your Zoloft as prescribed.

And your background in psychiatry or pharmacology is ????

Or do you just "know" that "kooks on medication" are all dangerous because you read it on the internet?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
It's pretty sad. Events like this stir up the calls for gun control. What do you think could have been done to prevent it?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Lodiman
It's pretty sad. Events like this stir up the calls for gun control. What do you think could have been done to prevent it?

The holy grail of behavioral science is prediction, and so far as I know there haven't been all that many advances since I was involved in that field. The best predictor of future behavior has always been past behavior, but does that justify draconian shot-in-the-dark controls on certain categories of individual? There will always be conflicts between prevention of crime and violence, and civil liberties. Gun control and wholesale stigmatizing of persons with mental illnesses aren't the answers.

I don't pretend to have the solution.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The anti-gun crowd will be loving this one........bummer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i don't think you can prevent it.a person or group who decide thier going to kill peaple or someone are going to do it.unless you can read thier mind or they give some indication ahead of time theres no way to stop them.you can take away guns and they'll use a knife or club or even thier bare hands

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
........As Obama, Schumer, Feinstein, etc, etc, etc, lick their chops.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Eradicate liberals
Teach gun safety, starting in pre school
Loosen firearms restrictions to the point, carrying a gun is no different than carrying your car keys
an armed society is a polite society

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
12 or 13 dead according to National news. Shooter also found dead. Anti's will love this. I always remind them that things like this will always happen. Drugs are illegal but can and will always be found on any street corner. Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No one can say what, if anything, could have been done to prevent this specific tragedy. As long as mankind has free agency, this kind of stuff will occur. That's partly what keeps criminal defense attorneys employed, right?

I do think there are things that can be done to reduce (not eliminate) the frequency of such occurrences. Primarily, strengthening the family and teaching our children to respect human life.

Banning guns won't eliminate it. More prisons won't do it, either. Even "better" mental health care for the mentally ill won't eliminate it. especially with the precepts and mindsets so prevalent today. And gun control definitely wouldn't even reduce the frequency by any statistically significant amount.

Unfortunately, there will always be good, innocent people that suffer from the choices made by others. I think the most effective corrective action is to strengthen the family and teach our kids that human life is sacred (both theirs and others') and must be respected, and that ALL choices have consequences that affect not only them but untold others around them.

Just my $0.02

Rich

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I think you made good points Rich

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Is it just me, or do situations like this come about more frequently when the Democrats are in office, or is it just reported with more of a frenzy when the media think it will make the Dems "do something about this"? Chicken and egg?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Is it just me, or do situations like this come about more frequently when the Democrats are in office, or is it just reported with more of a frenzy when the media think it will make the Dems "do something about this"? Chicken and egg?

It it just me or does this seem to happen after every election?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
IT'S A gOVERMENT CONSPIRACY, JOE bLINDEN even said it" we need to do something to prevent this violence". think about it, in obama's lastTV appearance he said, we need to stop the trade of illegal guns to Mexico. Translation: we need to ban guns. He says that and now a Gook opens fire at an immigration center, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A COINCIDENCE> We need a civil uprising and call to arms NOW

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Oh, I think if one or two people in the building were strapped with 1911's they may have been able put a damper on it somewhat.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let us pray it was a building full of illegals. While they don't deserve to die, they have no right to live here. When you break the law schitt happens...some of it ain't pretty.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BPHC2
IT'S A gOVERMENT CONSPIRACY, JOE bLINDEN even said it" we need to do something to prevent this violence". think about it, in obama's lastTV appearance he said, we need to stop the trade of illegal guns to Mexico. Translation: we need to ban guns. He says that and now a Gook opens fire at an immigration center, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A COINCIDENCE> We need a civil uprising and call to arms NOW

I think it is a Democrat conspiracy. Things like this almost seem to happen when Democrats are in power. I don't know how they do it but I think they are behind it. I don't believe in coincidences either especially in the long haul. This happens to often on their watch to be a coincidence.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is strange that this sort of thing happens when the Dems are on an anti gun rampage. Having said that one person with a firearm and a little bit of knowledge not wanting to be a victim might have stoped it cold.

Have to be OUT THERE!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 257man, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,885
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.