Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A recent run through the gun safe left me painfully aware that I no longer possesed a .30-30. I sought to remedy the problem at the recent gun show and was appalled to find Win 94's running from 600-800, with an occasional rough one for around 400. I just hadn't paid attention to 30-30's for a while and memory left me with 94's being unbelievably common and not much more than a quality 22. Ouch; have prices gone up.

Reading too much as a kid I had concluded microgroove = inaccuracy and really didn't discover Marlin's until the last 10 years or so when the cowboy crowd affected the return of ballard rifling. So I comparitively don't know much about their history. The marlin's were running 50-100% cheaper for similar condition. It seems to me things used to be the other way around.

Anyway to the point ...

I settled on a 1969 336 for what -naturally- I want to believe was the find of the show for only 300. It's 98%. I doubt it (if fired at all) has ever seen the woods. I looked it up in my books to see if I had fallen on my sword and find it doesn't quite fit the descriptions for a standard 336. I'm wondering if they didn't always assign a letter after the model number, If I have a non-standard model, or if the 336 era is just too broad for the typical value book to cover the variations over time.

The barrel reads:

The Marlin Firearms Co. NEW HAVEN, CONN, U.S.A.
EST 1870-MICRO-GROOVE BARREL-MOD. 336. CAL. 30-30

SN 69 39xxx

Nicely grained (for the era)straight walnut stock with a plain dry, dull, open pored finish, banded capless forearm, 20" barrel, full length tube, gold trigger, brass saddle ring and stud, factory D&T, hooded brass bead front sight, typical open rear sight (personally I wouldn't call it a classic buckhorn, but I think that is the term commonly used), everything else is nicely blued for the era with the top and bottom of the receiver having more of a matt finish.

What is it?

Thanks for your time.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You bought a Model 336T "Texan" for about 30% under it's market value.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It fits the description. Should there not be a "T" after the 336?

thanks for the response

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I answered my own question. Evidently none of them have a T.

Thanks again for the info. It got me on the right track to research.

It appears to be a 100% original texan.

Now, I'm even happier with my purchase.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seeing is believing - WHERE'S THE PICS ? ? wink laugh

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B2

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The marlin's were running 50-100% cheaper for similar condition. It seems to me things used to be the other way around.

The Winchesters are highly desirable since they quit making them because no one wanted them. confused

Bruce

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bcp
The marlin's were running 50-100% cheaper for similar condition. It seems to me things used to be the other way around.

The Winchesters are highly desirable since they quit making them because no one wanted them. confused

Bruce

You Sir are a true Marlin man as I also am!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
That gun is worth quite a bit more than you paid. I'd like to see pics, as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 9 invisible), 4,129 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,810
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.