Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,235.html

I can't recall where I saw one on a rifle, but thought the idea was interesting. The globe can be pushed down and a single post pops up.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw one on a rifle, not long ago, but the post and the post and ball in the globe were a bit courser than what I like.
The idea is a good one, and its not hard to see why its still around after all these years.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have one on my Shiloh.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks guys. Hunter, could you possible post a photo of how it looks? If not, that's cool. I've never seen one on a gun. I'll probably order one for my Pedersoli Sharps.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can try. It came as an option from Shiloh

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just saw a pic of that Beach front sight on an original Mynard. Apparently the sights were quite a hit with 19th century shooters and hunters. It was noted that it was the only Maynard known with the Beach convertible front sight mounted.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Those Beech Front Sights were frequently supplied by the factory on certain model Winchesters, I believe especially on the Model 1876.

I always thought they looked like a really great idea and what a fantastic sight picture they'd give.

That's until one showed up as standard on a custom Rolling Block I ordered and I actually got to try it out.

While they still look cool, suddenly I was no longer a big fan of having one to actually shoot with.

I installed an MVA #113 Globe Front Sight with interchangeable inserts and a Spirit level on it onto that rifle and now have a "Good" Front Sight.

My 2 Cents anyway...

Bill C.-sbio
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worry constantly just packing around a rifle with a long range tang sight. Moving through any kind of impediments with a front sight hanging out there looks like an invitation for trouble. Probably fine for a bench or stand hunting unit, but I'd not take one through the timber.

1Minute
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
I worry constantly just packing around a rifle with a long range tang sight. Moving through any kind of impediments with a front sight hanging out there looks like an invitation for trouble. Probably fine for a bench or stand hunting unit, but I'd not take one through the timber.

The MVA Globe Front Sights are pretty rugged and the #111 is sans the Spirit Level.

I'm not sure if they still have it or not but Shiloh once offered a similar sight that has a post and globe permanently mounted in it. It looked like a VERY rugged Front Sight.

As for the delicate Target style Tang Mounted Rear Sights, you're right they are fragile.

On my Big 50 I've left on the original sights, front and rear and added one of the earlier style Sharps "Sporting" rear mounted tang sights. That sight looks like this.

[Linked Image]click

It doesn't have nearly the fine adjustment on it, but it does give you a good long range sight picture and longer sight radius.

[Linked Image]

It's a fairly tough sight and could take a bit of abuse without getting too beaten up.

Of course if you're in timber so thick that you have to worry about sight damage, you're probably not going to need a long range sight!

Bill C.-sbio

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,225
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.