-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have had inquiry about the size of my trophies, and although it means little to me, I include them here.

[Linked Image]

Gemsbok 38 3/4" each side with 8" bases

[Linked Image]

Mountain Reedbuck 7"

[Linked Image]

Kudu 42" 10 1/2" base

[Linked Image]

Black Wildebeast 55 1/2" 11" boss

[Linked Image]

Blesbok 14" 6 1/2 bases

[Linked Image]

South African Common Sprinbok 11 1/2" 5 1/4" bases.

The outfitter says the Gemsbok and Mountain reedbuck are " very good trophies" I say they all are as each animal has given me a unique memory and thus has a special significance to me.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Randy,
you, sir, are a brave man for actually posting inches. Don't you know that a kudu must be at least 55? A blessie at least 17?
Good God man, what were you thinking? And that springbok??

IN all serious now, well done, sir. Inches should not matter. What matters is an animal well-hunted is a true trophy. The memories burn brightly now, soon after the hunt. May yours burn even brighter in the future.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
IN all serious now, well done, sir. Inches should not matter. What matters is an animal well-hunted is a true trophy. The memories burn brightly now, soon after the hunt. May yours burn even brighter in the future.

+1
It looks like you had a ball!

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another +1

You got a couple real dandies,just like the rest of us and you got others that are good representatives, yada, yada, yada...did you have a good time?
Did you do or see something every single day that you'll remember for the rest of your life? Did you feel truly alive while you were doing/seeing it?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above... you got your trophies!

One of my best and favorite trophies was an enormous Gemsbok bull I snuck up on and killed with an open sighted .303 British, his horns were all worn down to around 30", real character.... not my "longest", but definitely my best!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
What everyone above said.....

Damn sure was some fun;huh?

Good hunting,

Dinsdale

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
awesome btw that gemsbok is a hoss!

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If we could only get more people to view the sport this way hunting would be a lot better off. My hat is off to you and I appreciate the fact your experience is where the value of the hunt lies...not with how well it scores. If we could only get the SCI boys to see the same value in hunting....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Medicman,

Thanks for the pictures of your animals, I did enjoy them. Like you, I often know the scores of the game I take, but don't place particular importance on a specific score.

I am curious, how was the mountain reedbuck hunt? My good friend has some on his families place and finds them to be one of the trickier species they have to bag. Were you setting out after them, or was it a target of opportunity?

Thanks,
Carl

Empirical results rule!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Amazing, some excellent trophies and some average trophies, imagine that on the internet!! smile..

Thanks for a refreshing look at how hunting really is in a real world...:) smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Remember how you felt while you were tramping around in the bush? Remember the excitement, the back slaps and handshakes and jumping around. Remember the private sadness when you walked up to them? How about, how tired you were when you got there, but you couldn't sleep? Remember the people, the sights, and the smells? Those are the trophies.
Those animals are beautiful, too. In some areas they would all be bigger than average, in others, maybe not. Certainly the gemsbok would be wonderful almost anywhere.
I left my horns and capes in a box for more than a year after I opened them. But I go over my journal and pictures at least once a month, even serveral years latter. The horns are on the wall, but the memories go through my mind every day.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We were after them as I think them to be attractive, and amazingly well camoflaged. I had told my PH I was really clued out on the open shots and asked him if there were not some closer more cover shots. We had seen reed buck on slopes in the trees and I asked if we could try for a day or two for them. He was sceptical as I was very slow on open country shots with wildebeest and blesbok.

The one I took was the second stalk we did. I got a "trophy rock" on the first one as he stepped behind a rock as the trigger broke, and I never even saw the rock.

We were on our way back to the truck when we saw fresh scat and tracks. He said it might be a nice ram and asked if I was up to another stalk. Of course I was. About fifteen minutes later we spotted him on a well treed slope, and made a circular stalk to keep cover and wind to our advantage. As we were climbing out of a draw he was perfectly broadside at 100-110 yards between two short trees on a thirty degree slope covered with scattered trees. I was on him with rifle steadied by sling as I heard LaLaSe say he's the one, and the shot broke. He fell without a step and my PH said "Well done Madallaa". he asked why I did not shoot without hesitation like that on bigger game, and I told him that this was like I usually hunted, only usually closer.

I felt like I was in my element again and at ease with the shot. I was really tired from the walking and was glad to sit for the photos my wife took. She and he carried it back to the truck a half mile or so and had it loaded by the time I arrived.

We were after reedbuck, yet cutting the sign and scat was opportunistic. The actual pursuit was calculated, so I guess the answer to your question of were we trying for , or was it a target of opportunity is yes.

Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
Remember how you felt while you were tramping around in the bush? Remember the excitement, the back slaps and handshakes and jumping around. Remember the private sadness when you walked up to them? How about, how tired you were when you got there, but you couldn't sleep? Remember the people, the sights, and the smells? Those are the trophies.
Those animals are beautiful, too. In some areas they would all be bigger than average, in others, maybe not. Certainly the gemsbok would be wonderful almost anywhere.
I left my horns and capes in a box for more than a year after I opened them. But I go over my journal and pictures at least once a month, even serveral years latter. The horns are on the wall, but the memories go through my mind every day.
Bfly

I have only been home since March 30, but your post describes my experience well. I have always been more reserved, but my wife caught me on video babbling after my kudu. I was trying to tell the PH how well he had set me up with our stalk, but all that came out was " you are good, you are good."

My journal recorda the events dispationately, much as my incident and patient reports do. The journal though stimulates memorie of sights smells sounds and emotes the sensations of my heart. It is hard to desribe how evocative reading the journal actually is.

Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have always equated your first trip to Africa with your first true love...regardless of what happens in the weeks/months/years following, not a day in your life will pass that you don't think of her...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That Kudu looks bigger than the tape measure indicated. It's a beaut!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He was one of five bulls seen that morning. The first was a young one right within a couple miles of the farmstead. Numbers two and three were seen in a dry stream bed and walked into the trees before getting a shot. We hurried in a circle to get in front of them, and spotted two more on the far side of the stream bed 3/4 of a mile from where 2 and 3 were spotted. They were different as one had a wonky horn. My PH said I could shoot the left one, but that both of 2 and 3 were better animals. I chose to wait am and very well pleased I did. The 4 and 5 turned and walked off briskley looking back oveer there shoulders. Numbers 2 and 3 walked into the bush along the bed and were obviously larger animals. I was told to take the first one, and as he came out of the trees into a 30 ft clearing he spotted me and turnrned just as I shot him. He dropped right there, and then the exitement hit. I tried to tell the PH what a fine job he had done in reading the movement and setting up the ambush, but all that came out was " You are good, you are good."

He was hunted well and shot well and is beautiful to me. He shoud be received Feb 2010 with the others, and I have already determined where they will be displayed.

Point of interest Big Ugly Man, your posts a year and a half ago about, sent me over the edge, making the decision to make the trip. Your narative and photos really convinced me to go.
Thank you for that and your Kudu assessment.

Randy

Lester Roloff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (007FJ, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 53 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,920
Posts18,498,450
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.