Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I just finished Mr.Hoots article in the latest "Rifle" magazine. He writes about his idea of the perfect mule deer round and rifle. He makes one of the most astounding statements I think I've ever read. He wrote,"The 130-grain .277 bullet is not potent enough all the time for the biggest mulie bucks at ranges beyound 200 yards. Even 150-grain .277 bullets are marginal". Everyone is welcome to his own opinions but not his own set of facts. Mr. Hoots what were you thinking? That's just plain dumb.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, the 300WSM is the prefered choice for deer now days. All you guys with Bobs, 243, or even `06s are risking major harm in place of a quick death on game with your pop guns.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was it a n April issue? As in April Fools article?

I dont' know anything about Mr Hoots.

S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
No such luck. It's in the May issue #244. He showed up after John Barsness left.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

WOW, I guess that I was Hallucinating when I saw a 130 grain 270 bullet exit an Elk I guess they are not as tough as Mule Deer

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It will be a couple of weeks before my issue arrives up here, but one can generally always remember that not all gun writers or editors have lots of experience actually hunting or shooting stuff.

Some that I have met and visited with, like John Barsness and Phil Shoemaker, turned out to have actual experience and knowledge. Others are possibly quite good at wordsmithing...

Having shot a few mule deer with cartridges smaller than the .270 (were I an actual gun writer, I would have inserted "venerable" in front of ".270" here. grin) I find the notion that the .270 with 130 gr and 150 gr bullets is "marginal" to be pretty suspect.

YMMV...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hoots wrote for Western Outdoor News for a short while in Southern Cal., never really had any outdoor Savy just came out of school, I see he still hasn't learned anything, no surprise as it takes a special person to be a Gunwriter, time afield,understanding guns and how they work and so on, we have seen enough imposter's and wanna be's,, where will the next JB's come from?, don't throw away your works from Bob Hagel, Ken Waters, Finn Aagarrd and our JB, and the other Good ones,cause I'm afraid it ain't gonna get better.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's some funny stuff. It's a freakin' deer!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by super T
I just finished Mr.Hoots article in the latest "Rifle" magazine. He writes about his idea of the perfect mule deer round and rifle. He makes one of the most astounding statements I think I've ever read. He wrote,"The 130-grain .277 bullet is not potent enough all the time for the biggest mulie bucks at ranges beyound 200 yards. Even 150-grain .277 bullets are marginal". Everyone is welcome to his own opinions but not his own set of facts. Mr. Hoots what were you thinking? That's just plain dumb.

This could be about the funniest hunting/shooting article I never read................this guy for real?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
What a hoots. Some one should have told that to the mule deer I have seen have a confrontation with this exact bullet. I had no idea that a deer could die of fright so quickly.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hoots is simply awful. Sorry if that offends anyone. This isn't the only devestatingly dumb article he's written, by the way.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH

This could be about the funniest hunting/shooting article I never read................this guy for real?

I don't know about the funniest, but it sure reveals a lack of intelligence, common sense and experience. In light of the excellent selection of bullets and loadings available today, perhaps it is just plain old stupidity.

One more good reason to have let my Handloader and Rifle magazine subscriptions expire. That's kind of sad because I had subscribed to both since their inceptions.

M Bell

Last edited by Ten_Sleep; 04/07/09.

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by muledeer

Others are possibly quite good at wordsmithing...

Or maybe not so good.

It's all in the reflexes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would hope they would have at least one ability...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Poor old Hoots...we already did 5 pages on that article last month. I didn't realize the online version came out so far ahead....But still, the article is pretty good humor and worth revisiting.
Lee J is a Hoot!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i read somewhere of an often used tactic by writers - which is to "stir the pot" by writing something unusual or out of the ordinary in order to draw attention to themselves. i seem to remember it increases "readership" for a while. true or not i don't know, but mr. hoots might be just pulling our legs.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm sure he has a good explanation...
Won't pay to find out.

Glad he doesn't scribble in Handloader.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Whew, I'm glad I am not the only one who hated that article. I did not want to keep reading it but I had to. Kinda like looking at a wreck. It's funny, last month John Haviland said you could kill an elk with a 257 Roberts and this month you need a 300 WSM for "big" mule deer.

Lately I have been reading some old Rifle and Handloader magazines. I saw in Rifle No. 223, January 2006 there was a poll of Rifle readers. It states the average number of firearms the average Rifle reader owns is 66. If Dave Scovill know us Rifle readers are gun nuts, why does he let articles like Mr. Hoots get published?? I sure miss reading Barsness articles where I could learn something.

Marc
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I thik Mr. Hoots is smokin something. I've been shooting a 7MM-08 for everying but elk the past few years. I never knew how wrong or under gunned I was.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No such luck. It's in the May issue #244. He showed up after John Barsness left.

That's it!--Hoots is JB's alter ego! laugh

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 1badf350, 270wsmnutt, 58 invisible), 18,689 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,852
Posts18,537,487
Members74,050
Most Online20,541

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.