Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am eligible for retirement on my next birthday.

My plan is to buy a small place with easy access to good fishing and public hunting in a State where a man can buy over the counter big game tags and go hunting. (That isn't Texas for damn sure) My days of leasing land to hunt on are just about finished and I will no longer have a job that prevents me from going hunting during the fall seasons.

My question is; Where in the USA would be the best place to move to do just that? I am thinking a half acre or so and a small cabin within a short drive to good fishing and hunting.

I know some of you already live in just such a place and need one more damn Texan in the neighborhood. Go ahead and speak up.... wink

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
what's your cold tolerance?

If you've lived all your life in Texas, some places out here might be too much of an adjustment climate-wise

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know. But I do plan to try living there for a year before I buy.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
southern missouri texas co. or near there

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Arkansas...so I'm told by Alaskans retiring and moving south...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You didn't say what kind of hunting but for places with a little more temperate climate and a decent mix of game and fish I'd say the aforementioned Arkansas, Southern Missouri, Eastern half of Tennessee or Kentucky (I like hills) or West, by God, Virginia.

All have decent cost of living, affordable land and some good size areas of public land for recreation.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say Big Sky country, and of course I just happen to work in real estate so.......I can help you! grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dober you are so bad! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PDS, I don't know where this place is you are looking for but I hope you find it. When you do please PM me very quietly. I truly hope for the day when my thoughts are completely occupied by just such a quest. I am envious, but in a good way.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK, some more information. This would be a second home for me and a vacation cabin for my kids when I am gone. I would not have to live there all year.

I would like to be able to hunt deer, elk, and perhaps waterfowl and upland birds. I do not enjoy off shore fishing but just about anything from a lake, river of stream is good including fly fishing for trout. I would not have to have property directly adjoining public hunting land but a short drive away. However, a view of a lake or stream would be nice.

I have fished for trout and camped in Missouri, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Arkansas. I love the Rocky Mountains and the Black Hills but I have not been there during the winter. I also like the Chama - Eagles Nest area of New Mexico.

I plan to travel the North West coast up to Washington soon. Perhaps this summer.

decent cost of living, affordable land and some good size areas of public land for recreation.

That is what I am looking for with a breathtaking view.

And Jackson Hole is too expensive for my budget.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pds, where ever it is don't you have to actually live there six months of the year before you can buy resident tags?

I know you do here in Texas but I don't know about any other state.

Unless you are physically present and getting your mail here six months and a day then you are a non-resident.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
PDS/Those places you mentioned are darn cold. As I have gotten older, the cold here in CO really affects me.
Fishing isn't all that good. Almost all major rivers in CO now have 2 trout limit,flies or lure only.
Pubelo reservoir is so disturbed with water skiers and wave runners, that fising is a joke anymore.John Martin,Nee Nosh,Bonny and some other eastern lakes hold some decent wiper action,but is seasonal.

That leaves the high country lakes that are only accessable a few months out of the year and are pretty far back in.

In New Mexico,you can only count on getting an elk tag once in every three years, unless you pay for a landowner tag. I think deer are all draw to,but I am not sure.

Several years gao we were contemplating moving to Cody Wy when I retired. Prices were high there. We did find some real estate west of Billings MT that was very resonable,but dang it is really cold there in the winter.

If you want to do just deer and fish,and can stand the humidity and chiggers, I'd look at Arkansas or Missouri.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/08/09.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Half the state of Colorado is public land. OTC elk tags and if you choose wisely on our applications you can get cow and deer tags every year.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were me, I'd look real strong at Pagosa, Durango - anywhere in southern Colorado. Coyote is right OTC tags, plus plenty of zero point first season hunts for elk. Deer hunting is decent in Colorado. The other consideration is availability of really good hunting within a days drive - run up to WY for a speed goat, eastern CO, KS, or back to TX for a whitetail, the NW ain't a horrible drive to hunt bears and deer. Plus, the bonus is the scenery in Colorado is tremendous cool

Now if elk can be a once/yr trip, eastern Tennessee don't suck. Live west of Knoxville and you're into good deer/turkey hunting, around knoxville is great smallmouth bass, walleye, trout. The Smoky's are within an hour, the Cumberland Plateau less than that. For eastern mountains, the Smoky's are hard to beat. Plus, it's cheap to live here - with no State income tax as an added bonus. It's one of the cheaper, really nice places I've been to.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Like alot of people, I had lots of decisions to make when I retired.
I've been around people who have bought cabins on small plots of land most of my life. The trouble is you are tied to that place. You must maintain it like any other home. For over the counter, resident licenses and tags, you have to live there. Sure, you can get away for a few months when the weather is the worst, but then where do you live ?
I still live in California. I do this because I've got first class medical insurance and my friends and family are here.
I don't, as yet, have any significant medical issues. But everybody gets them sooner or later. So medical coverage is important or will be.
When I go hunting, seriously, I live in my truck camper. I've got one that can handle any weather. I tow a Jeep and hunt out of that. I've got a boat and can tow that for fishing trips.
I live near many thousands of acres of public land with some really good fishing, most of it for the cold water species. Even better fishing for almost anyhting I can reach in a few days. I can, again, live out of my camper.
I can access all sorts of bird, small game, varmit, and big hunting either here or in other states.
If you are considering deer and elk hunting in the western states, have you considered how you will do this ? You either must be able to walk the mountains or ride horses. Have you planned for that ?
For me, I'd pick some place where I wanted to live for much of the year and put in for various quality expereinces when the spirit moves you. So far, it has worked out well for me. E

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All the good places are cold!

The Black Hills are beautiful if you can handle the almost 20 foot of snow they got this winter.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think inthe future ,you will see less and less cow tags given out in CO as the herds get reduced. They are also takling about adding more draw only elk areas which would mean less OTC tags.
As hunter pressure increases,we may see more restrictive seasons.

I would not base where I live on what is available in hunting today

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, maybe I will have to build a little larger cabin and live there then snowbird out of a mobile home during the worst of the winter weather?

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E,

Thanks for the advice. I've got the medical insurance covered.

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cold? Haven't you guys heard? The Earth is Warming.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 993 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.