Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
As per others requests as I did with my 25-06 and the new 100gr. TTSX's....here's my results with the 130 gr. TTSX's in the 270 WSM, less one critical factor that will be assessed during my next range visit (velocity).

Yep......range day finally. Took a few hours midday and visited the range with my new T3 Laminated in 270 WSM. As per usual, it is scoped with a 4.5 X 14 X 44 Conquest, Talley steels, Limbsaver pad and a lightened up trigger. I also hogged out the forearm even though it came free-floated, but not enough for my liking. I also waxed any and all rifle metals.....first time I've done that, but I think I like it. So I took her out for a spin today............

My inside the home, bore-sighting, sufficed, but took 3 shots/foulin' rounds to get me dead-square and 1/2 high. I had, as usual, 5 loads of these 130gr. TTSX's loaded with RL22 in graduating, 1/2 gr. increments......totaling 4 rounds each. New Norma brass was resized and otherwise totally prepped prior to use, I used 215M primers and seated the bullets to the full length of the magazine....I mean full length. No....no feeding issues whatsoever and I load all my T3's this way.

First batch went an honest 1/2 inch, as did the second batch. The 3rd batch (1 gr. more than the 1st), shot just a hair under a 1/4 in. group, center to center. 3 of the "up river" guys were there today and one had been makin' it known that he had shot 2 groups (3 and a 4 shot) and that both were "one-holers". They all are all proficient marksmen and I didn't doubt the chatter up and down the line. Not that uncommon anyway....neither the talk nor the resulting cloverleafs among seasoned shooters. I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised with my results. All sorts of things don't have to work out when going through load development, especially with a new/untested, rifle/scope at the bench. So when they do all come together, there is a certain amount of self satisfaction with the work one has done to help realize such results, coupled with being thankful for those factors that we have no control over........luck being one of them.............grin.

I often "throw" one in 4 rounds when I get tired or really too focused, more often than not, I'm more guilty of the latter. I was so hopin' to maintain that small, somewhat evasive and always coveted, cloverleaf with my 4th round and fortunately (this time anyway), I did so. I can assume with some certainty that this 3rd batch's velocities are well within the range I could have expected for a 130gr. pill out of a 270WSM, but when I shot that group, I knew that my, all too short, range day was complete. 47 degrees, no pressure signs, under max loads but leanin' into it a bit......no further need to push any limits....or luck.

In my mind, the results, both with the 25-06 and 270WSM using these new TTSX's, are very encouraging, to say the least. As with the 25-06 and a previous load using the new 110gr. AB's, I had a dandy 140gr. AB load all worked up for my 270WSM as well and it has cleanly taken several nice blacktail bucks these last several years for my son and I. It was one consistently accurate load with that AB and once again...RL22. But these 130 gr. TTSX's halved those groups.

I still can't attest to the TTSX's terminal affects, but I can't imagine them not being every bit as good as the AB's.

What also has to be considered (by me anyway), was that these groups were shot using unfired Norma cases. My being impressed with that 3rd batch load took that factor into consideration, as well, as I've never had fire-formed cases deliver less accuracy than new, unfired brass. Can't wait to try some once-fired brass out.........

As soon as I can get back to the range and chrono, I will do so. This week-end looks like a MIL Easter week-end, but Monday the range is open and I'll add to this thread my results if all goes well. I'm really interested to see what this 3rd batch gets over the screens. But truth be told, given the accuracy of this particular load, to perhaps come in under what my expectations might be of this load in the velocity department, I could care less.

Now.....you won't hear me sayin' that too often.....grin.

Last edited by magnumb; 04/09/09.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good post..good shooting

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by magnumb
All sorts of things don't have to work out when going through load development, especially with a new/untested, rifle/scope at the bench. So when they do all come together, there is a certain amount of self satisfaction with the work one has done to help realize such results, coupled with being thankful for those factors that we have no control over........luck being one of them.............grin.

+1 Ain't that the truth, well done.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
magnumb,

Mind sharing velocities and amounts of powder?

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
As I said earlier, when I make my next range trip, I'll chrono that load and make the #'s available. I'm obviously quite interested to know as well.

As for the charge weight, I'm snugged up against the max's in both the Alliant and Barnes web sites.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The TSX's and TTSX's have consistently yielded great groups in my rifles. Sounds like your rifle likes them too, which doesn't surprise me.

Congrats on what sounds like a great time at the range. And good luck in the field with that bullet - I load it in my Roberts and can't wait to try it on game.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yep....papers OK when that's all there is, but I also can't wait to try them out on some potential venison steaks............grin.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NICE!

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's always a good thing when they shoot a new powder/bullet combo right out of the gate!

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The final piece of the puzzle - chrono'd 20 shots yesterday, throwing out the top 2 and bottom 2 velocities, these 130's averaged a MV of 3,310 fps.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You sir have your load work done -grin-. Thanks for the update.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
magnumb,how about some pictures of groups shot,what load,type powder,primers and OAL had the BEST groups.I want to load some for mine,Thanks Skeeter

Last edited by crittergetter; 04/14/09.
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
crittergetter - it's been a few years since I posted any pics. It is one of those things that doesn't come as easy for me to do as many here. I did ask my daughter after shooting the groups, who helped me the last time I posted pics, if she might take some time with me again. Now, it's just getting us together at the same time to make the attempt........grin.

I used Norma brass, Fed. 215M primers, a near max load of RL22 and while employing a Stoney Point Comparator, an OAL to the bullets ogive of 3.340. As was stated in my IP as well, these bullets take up a bunch of what a T3's magazine length will allow.

The chances of my exact load working BEST in your rifle will be about as good as my foot fittin' perfectly in your boot.....grin. As with most loads, IMHO, I get the best accuracy from loads at, or near max. Suffice it to say that my 270WSM shot it's best groups with a load resembling what I've just described.

Check the Barnes and Alliant data sites and work closely with those 2 loading suggestions and IF RL22 and all the other components I used work well in your particular rifle, you'll no doubt find that perfect charge weight more through your own efforts than through mine.

Good luck and let us know what you came up with...........

Last edited by magnumb; 04/15/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by magnumb
Yep......range day finally. Took a few hours midday and visited the range with my new T3 Laminated in 270 WSM. As per usual, it is scoped with a 4.5 X 14 X 44 Conquest

Obviously no one has told you that a 4.5-14 is just �too much scope�, else you weren�t paying attention...

Me neither. Although 3-9x is most common on my rifles, 4.5-14 is my favorite range. Burris FF II�s with the Ballistic-Plex reticle. I normally hunt with them at 4.5 but love the ability to crank them up.

I still can't attest to the TTSX's terminal affects, but I can't imagine them not being every bit as good as the AB's.

Have only taken one animal with a TTSX, a buck antelope with a 168g TTSX from a Win .308. MV was around 2650fps, range 125 yards. I screwed up and aimed for the shoulder, forgetting that max rise of 3� occurred right around 125 yards. As a result the predictable happened and the bullet nearly missed completely. It hit above the spine making a small entrance hole, hitting a process bone (one of the bones that sticks up above the spine) and made a �U� channel exit wound. Total path of the bullet through flesh wasn�t more than 6� or so.

Nevertheless, there was extensive damage and it was clear the bullet had expanded. I was upset with myself but very pleased with bullet performance and expect to use many of them in the future. Am shooting 100g TTSX in the .257 Roberts and can�t wait to try it on mulies.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the comments and info Coyote Hunter!

Yep.......loooong before the Conquests ever came out, I used several 4.5 X 14 Leupies as well on all my BG rifles. For me anyway, they just fit my style of hunting. Crank 'em up or down.......never been too difficult.....grin. As you say......."love the ability".

I also have learned the lesson of "max rise" which in most of my rifles is between 150-165 yards. Sometimes a tough nut to crack.....grin. As luck would have it, many (if not most) of my shots on game over the years falls pretty squarely in that particular yardage ballpark. Due to these factors, plus one's ability (or lack thereof) to easily determine correct range (less rangefinder), 99% of missed shots or those "not exactly where we wanted to place 'em" shots.....are NEVER too low.....IME or from reports from other hunters.

I like your description and the results of your shot, whether you believe you screwed up or not. Dead lope', lesson learned, bullet did what we hope for bullets to do......I'm hopeful and excited about giving them a whirl myself.

Thanks for the info and story Coyote Hunter...appreciate real life BTDT's.

Last edited by magnumb; 04/16/09.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had the same results with both of my Tikka T3 LS 270WSM's with 140gr Accubonds. Around 0.3" groups using Retumbo. One load is COMPRESSED the other is not. Shot so great that I never tried TSX's and traded them off for more Accubonds. Plus the performance on big game was just as incredible as the accuracy. Both rifles have Leupold VX3 scopes with BC reticles. Using Winchester Supreme brass with Federal 215 primers. COL of 2.8550" - just about touching the front of the clip.

I took my "large" cow elk with my 270WSM at around 200m - double lung pass thru. She flipped over backwards after being hit and that was it. Love hunting with this rifle and my wife can sure shoot with her's.

Last fall a friend from my moose camp bought a new Tikka T3 270WSM Camo - went to the range and shot my reloads for one of my rifles - his rifle shot the same groupings of 0.3"

So I guess no load development for his rifle is required.

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Didn't even know they made a camo. I do own 2 laminated T3's and during my looooong search for them, I didn't come across any camo'd T3's.

Was this a custom paint job and if so, did he do it or send it out? Did you like the look?

Thanks..................

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The camo stocks come from the factory. They're a hair lighter than the black synthetics, too. At least that's what the specs say.

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Jordan....I wonder why they'd be any lighter at all?

Oh well, da mo choices, da betta.

Last edited by magnumb; 05/01/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Are they the same stock, just painted camo, or a totally different stock? You'd think that if they were the same stock they'd be the same weight (plus maybe half an ounce for the weight of the paint).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 12 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.