Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My wife and I will be travelling to Germany, Vienna, and Poland in September.
We're staying in Heidelburg and will visit Trier(sp?) also.
We're also planning a cruise down the Rhine river for a couple of days.

Are there any points of interest for the gun enthusiast in this part of the country that I should visit? Gun shops, gun makers, museums?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Two good places to begin with: the Mauser Museum in Oberndorf
and the museum of Sinsheim you can find ties on the web i think and be not too far from Trier.
Sinsheim has a huge collection of war machines and aircrafts.
Mauser is not big but it's history!
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Sinsheim. Cool cars and plenty of warbirds and armor.
Frankonia (especially larger stores) have neat hunting stuff and the guns they have are always high on the drool meter.

Although it's not too close to where you are going, Veste Coburg in northern Bavaria is a must see, IMO.
It's a large Medieval Fortress that has an excellent museum including arms from the last 1000 years. This includes ornately made longarms for kings and emperors.

S
S
I just wrote a list of museums with significant collections of matchlock/flintlock jaegers and fowlers for Americans taking the German hunting course in the Stuttgart. Send me a PM and I will send you a copy. Coburg is also home of the German Shooters' Museum--hunters and shooters are different here. Coburg Veste is amazing from a hunting tradition perspective as well as having an armory with matchlocks on the floor above and many other exhibitions. Coburg is also near Suhl which is trying to recover from the Communist regime and reclaim its historical status as Germany's armsmaking epicenter. They have opened their museum and it received good reviews from the US-based German Gun Collectors Association. I'm still trying to get up there to see it myself but a blizzard won last attempt.

The Landes Museum in Karlsruhe is close and has a very good exhibit. Munich has the Hunting and Fishing Museum near the famous Glockenspiel with a Frankonia Jagd store in walking distance.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.