Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I've been trying to find one of these for some time now. There is something very satisfying about the simplicity of a bolt action rifle with iron sights. There's also something in me that really likes those full-length mannlicher stocks. Makes me think of hunting stag in the Bavarian Alps and for some reason it really appeals to me. I'd like to have the power and reach of the .223 for coyotes or hogs and that's where the 527 FS comes in.

[Linked Image]

My own internet search has yielded nothing but my dealer finally located one. He said that only 2 out of 7 distributors even listed them any longer but they couldn't get them. He had to call a sales rep at CZ-USA who said they haven't imported any for a long time. Whatever is "out there" is all there is for now. They finally located one and are having it shipped to my dealer. He made it sound like I may have found the very last new one available in the U.S. Gave me a good price though.

I have read some reviews and done lots of internet searches but I would like to hear from some actual owners out there:

1. Are there any "quirks" or specific issues I should be prepared for?
  2. Are there any "quirks" or specific issues I should be prepared for?
  3. What kind of accuracy have you experienced with your 527 FS? (I'll be shooting THIS AMMO)
  4. Are there any modifications recommended for best performance?
  5. What is your overall impression and/or opinion of this rifle?
  6. Is there any reason I should NOT buy this rifle?

I'm a big fan of CZ firearms and deeply regret letting a 550 American go a few years ago. Any help or information you can offer about the CZ 527 FS is appreciated.

Last edited by Texagator; 04/11/09.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Head over to rimfirecentral and post under the CZ forum. Other than some people (including me) not liking the ugly magazine, don't think you'll find anyone really saying anything bad about a CZ of any sorts.

If the lower magazine bothers you there's a guy who will trim the magazine down to sit pretty flush with the stock and he also modifies the trigger guard to clean it up as well. About 70.00 for the conversion and you can still use factory magazines as well if you still need a five round capacity.

And it's really hit or miss as far as CZ's go and if you get a really good peace of wood, or just a plain stock.

I've got a 452 American in .22lr and a 527 American in 22 hornet, sadly I haven't shot either yet. Someday soon I'm going to add a 452fs to the collection.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 550FS and a 452FS but not a 527. Like the person above me check over at rimfirecentral in the CZ forum lot of people in there that know a lot about CZ not just rimfires. I was going to say the same thing you can get a flush fit magazine (and for the 452 as well) from a guy I think they are old BRNO magazines.

Having looked at a lot of CZ's I like to pick the one out in person. You can get a really great stock or a really plain stock in the CZ stock lottery. However if they are that rare I doubt that's possible.

Here's a used one with 21 rounds.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126489022

Here's a BRAND NEW one in the box from a dealer on gunsamerica, order it have it shipped locally, voila.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976730047/Guns/Rifles/CZ/CZ_527_FS_Mannlicher_223_Rem_Ne.htm

Otto is my co-pilot.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 527 in 223, but it's a half stock model, with excellent wood. Mucho accurate too.
I can dig the one in the pix above, having a passion of full stock rifles.
IIRC, CZ makes a 527 in 223 with flush magazines now, but not sure which models.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I currently own two CZ 527's (.17 Rem., TAC .20) and have a .223 due to arrive next Thursday. The only thing I don't care for is the bassackwards safety. The action is the perfect size for the .222/.223 family of cartridges and I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about the 527's but if you get a brand spanking new 452 I've heard the safety has been reversed to normal....that's what the guys on the CZ forums are saying.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cal74 - +1

I, too, couldn't find any 527FS, except the picture like the one posted - so I ordered a .223 through my FFL, hoping (dummy me) that the stock would look half-way as nice as the pic.

It didn't. frown

I was VERY disappointed in the wood quality (I thought it looked like JIF peanut butter), and the general overall metal finish - but (being an optimist), I took it out for a shooting session anyway.

I'm generally a pretty decent shot, but I couldn't get groups anywhere near the size of the test target that came with the rifle - with several brands/types of ammo.

That "tied it", for me - and I sent it down the road soon afterward.

About six months later I came across a new 527Lux on a dealer's rack, priced below the FS's $$$$.
The wood looked nice, so I bought it.

It even shoots as good as IT's test target, with factory ammo. laugh I still have it, with only a single mod (below).

The protruding CZ-527 magazine and the attendant trigger guard webs are easily converted to a flush magazine by a fellow I ran across on one of the forums.
He shortened the mag (issue mags can still be used), removed the webs, and refinished the reworked metal to match the factory finish on my Lux.
I thought it the best $$$ I've spent on modding a gun in a long while.
Here's the link to his work, w/pics:

http://www.rvbprecision.com/shooting/cz-527-rifle-magazine-conversion.html

Roy does excellent work, and is great to do business with.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.