Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]
Anahi Beltran Cabrera, center, who was arrested guarding an arsenal, is presented to the media at a police base in Mexico City, Tuesday, April 14, 2009. Police on a routine patrol detained the 20-year-old woman guarding the arsenal, allegedly belonged to a group linked to the powerful Beltran Leyva drug cartel, at a house in northern Sonora state. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)

Mexican detained with anti-aircraft machine gun
Apr 14 02:12 PM US/Eastern
By E. EDUARDO CASTILLO
Associated Press Writer

MEXICO CITY (AP) - A woman was arrested guarding an arsenal that included an anti-aircraft machine gun�the first weapon of its kind seized in Mexico, police said Tuesday.

The arsenal belonged to a group linked to the powerful Beltran Leyva drug cartel, federal police coordinator Gen. Rodolfo Cruz said. It also included ammunition, five rifles, a grenade and part of a grenade launcher.

Mexican drug cartels, battling a fierce crackdown by soldiers and federal police, have increasingly gotten hold of higher-powered weapons, even military-grade arms such as grenades and machine guns. That has left police�particularly state and municipal forces�grossly outgunned, and many officers have quit following attacks.

Cruz said the confiscated .50-caliber, anti-aircraft machine gun can fire 800 rounds per minute and is capable of penetrating armor from more than 5,000 feet (1,500 meters). Police on a routine patrol Monday found the gun fitted atop an SUV at a house in northern Sonora state.

Authorities did not release any other details about the gun, including its make, where it was manufactured, or where it was sold.

The arrested suspect, Anahi Beltran Cabrera, apparently is not related to the Beltran Leyva clan, Cruz said.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has traced many guns seized at scenes of drug violence in Mexico to U.S. commercial sources. But determining the source of military-grade weapons such as grenades and fully automatic machine guns is more complicated.

The ATF says the grenades are mostly smuggled in through Central America, and have been traced back to the militaries of many countries, from South Korea to Spain and Israel. Some may be leftovers from the Central American civil wars.

Assailants have fired on government aircraft performing anti-drug missions in Mexico in the past, but apparently never with the caliber of weapon found Monday.

In 2006, a helicopter on a federal drug-eradication mission crashed while trying to escape ground fire, and a second helicopter was damaged by gunfire in the Pacific coast state of Guerrero.

Mexico is upgrading its northern and southern border checkpoints in an effort to detect and seize more guns and other contraband, installing equipment that will weigh and photograph each car and truck coming into the country.

President Barack Obama has promised to do more to stop gun trafficking from the United States to Mexico. He has pledged to dispatch nearly 500 more federal agents to the border, along with X-ray machines and drug-sniffing dogs.

Mexico's drug violence has claimed more than 10,650 lives since President Felipe Calderon launched a military-led offensive against trafficking cartels in December 2006.

In March, the government sent thousands more troops to the northern border to quell escalating violence. The government announced Sunday that drug-related homicides fell 26 percent across the country in the first three months of the year, compared to the same period in 2008.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

An anti air-craft machine gun, the first weapon of its kind seized in Mexico, is displayed to the media at a police base in Mexico City, Tuesday, April 14, 2009. Police on a routine patrol detained a 20-year-old woman guarding an arsenal, allegedly belonged to a group linked to the powerful Beltran Leyva drug cartel, at a house in northern Sonora state.(AP Photo/Eduardo Verdugo)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, it is whatever the media care to call it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

The cache included an antiaircraft gun, numerous rifles and a large amount of ammunition

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
She looks kind of like Maser. shocked

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oops, there is an evil Barrett .50 there too.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmmm, wasn't Hillary down that way recently...

Sassy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmmm. It aint an antiaircraftgun, it aint .50 caliber and 5 rifles aint an arsenal. More media hype.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First anti aircraft gun I've ever seen that you coulnd't point "up".

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Since when did a 1919 become an Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun?

About the same time that 90% of the weapons seized in Mexico came from the U.S.

Truth has nothing to do with this, this is all propaganda for the masses.

IC B3

dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the belt inserted, is there a round in the chamber for the photo op?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Another US gunshow machine gun.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when you consider that Mexicos airforce is 2 guy's in a 172 with a .38 and a handgrenade,that is an AA gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, there�s a .50 rifle and a 1919�so I think they got mixed up and merged the two�sounds better when you say it like that.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
actually if you take the time to read the text it states that a 50 caliber machine gun was also found fitted to an SUV. I may be wrong but weren't 50 cal m-2's mounted on planes to dog fight other planes with? Wouldn't that make it an anti aircraft gun. I'm in no way agreeing with the media I think all forms of "news" should be banned, but people in our ranks need to make sure they comprehend what they are reading.

AS DEFINED

An arsenal is an establishment for the construction, repair, storage and issue of weapons and ammunition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Remington 870 is an anti-aircraft gun..........

If the aircraft are ducks or doves.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BPHC2
actually if you take the time to read the text it states that a 50 caliber machine gun was also found fitted to an SUV. I may be wrong but weren't 50 cal m-2's mounted on planes to dog fight other planes with? Wouldn't that make it an anti aircraft gun. I'm in no way agreeing with the media I think all forms of "news" should be banned, but people in our ranks need to make sure they comprehend what they are reading.

AS DEFINED

An arsenal is an establishment for the construction, repair, storage and issue of weapons and ammunition.

UHhhhhhh, an M 1919 is a .30 cal gun, Sport.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
the two federalies look kinda hot behind them masks

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by BPHC2

AS DEFINED

UHhhhhhh, an M 1919 is a .30 cal gun, Sport.

GTC

There is a version of the 1919, type classified as the M2 AN, for use in aircraft and as an anti-aircraft weapon.

Cyclic rate is around 1200 rpm.

For the WW2 History enthusiasts, this weapon was the basis for Tony Stein's "stinger".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup,....and that's NOT an M2 AN on that tripod, is it.....?

it's sure as hell not a 50, either.

More Mexican hype gets lost in hair splitting.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 75 invisible), 3,232 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,555
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.