Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I am going to make a pellet trap that is larger than the normal 8 �� by 11�. I only have 1 acre to work with and I want to use most of it as a range. The longest shot will be 200� from the back deck. I do not want the pellets to go onto other folk�s property since I do not own that property. In addition, there is a big highway I 35 E about a half mile away through some trees. Is there something that will stop the pellets reliably, thinking 3/4:� plywood?

I was thinking two sheets at 45� angle with a whole piece in back and another piece on top to tie it all together.

Will this reliably stop pellets traveling at 900 fps?

I have a mentally challenged kid that would be shooting along side me for practice., so I don�t want to scrimp on safety, since I don�t know where he might actually shoot.

Do I need to add something to the �� plywood to reliably stop these pellets?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That should do it.....at that range your pellet will not have near the 900fps left.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
fill the box you are building with sand or dirt for added security.

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go to the nearest Farm supply or fencing store and buy thee 8' steel T-posts and two 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Pound the T-posts 2' into the ground and then screw the two sheets of plywood to them making a 8'x8' backer. Then find a sturdy cardboard box the size of a sheet of newspaper, fill the box with newspaper and tape it closed...this is your target holder and pellet stop.

Tack your target to the front of the box and explain to your friend that he can only shoot as far back as he can hit the target. The plywood is just the emergency backstop in case he misses the box. If necessary build a bigger target box...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Go to the nearest Farm supply or fencing store and buy thee 8' steel T-posts and two 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Pound the T-posts 2' into the ground and then screw the two sheets of plywood to them making a 8'x8' backer. Then find a sturdy cardboard box the size of a sheet of newspaper, fill the box with newspaper and tape it closed...this is your target holder and pellet stop.

Tack your target to the front of the box and explain to your friend that he can only shoot as far back as he can hit the target. The plywood is just the emergency backstop in case he misses the box. If necessary build a bigger target box...

Bob

Great Idea. This young man is 21 years old and has the function of a well behaved 9 year old. He has decided that I will teach him how to hunt. And hunting for me always befins with firearm handeling. If you can't get that right everytime then you won't go into the field with me. This may be fun.

I have no idea just what will happen when we actually get to the point of killing something, but I do know when his mother called me frantic about a snake in their shed with the christmas decorations several months ago he was the only one that "had my back" when I drug the snake out to be dispatched. Bare handed with a hoe he stayed right there with me and not in the way until I got the rattler out and dispatched it. His mom sisters and older brother (who is not challenged) ran like little girls at the first site of the snake. He was all business until the excitment was over and never left my vacinity, offering any help that I might need. He seems to be a good young man and someone to have your back. But I want him to KNOW how to handle a firearm without question.

Joel

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I built a small 8" x 11" trap that I use at 60 yards. It's made from 3/4" plywood. Well, at 60 yards my .22 air rifle will penetrate the plywood and after 10 or so shots knocked a hole through the plywood. I have since rebuilt it and lined the in side of the trap with a used rubber truck mat (used for you boots) and that was enough to stop the pellets. So, you should be alright at 200 yards.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Naw, its just over 200 ft for the longest shot. I wish I could find a pellet rifle that would be flat shooting at 200 yards with enough energy to knock down a squirrel. That would be a fine pellet rifle.

Good idea to use the rubber truck mat.

Thanks
Joel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 17 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.