-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nobody ever intends to throw them away... but it happens! Heck, just got done with a 5 months search for a stupid side screw from a Lyman 56S. Small parts suck.

Besides, if it has the red bead and the right rear sight, that's far cooler than a Stith. And appears to be much rarer..

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
it has a lyman tang sight,a Marbles rear iron sight,the front sight is a ramp with a Lyman blade. What would think the value of this beauty might be.?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah, replacement sights.. go ahead with a Stith. grin

Value depends on condition.. and who wants it and how bad. Keep an eye on gunbroker and you'll see them sell occasionally.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Since it is your property, you should do what you want with it. You're obviously not a collector, so have it professionally d&t for the style of base(s) that you prefer, 1-piece Redfield turn-in or 2-piece Weaver, put a scope on it, and go have fun shooting it.

Somewhere down the line, perhaps after you've passed away, some Savage 99 collector who comes across it is likely to curse your having defiled a factory specs 99T, but why should that enter into your decision making process? You're not the steward of a national treasure, just the owner of an old gun!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Since it is your property, you should do what you want with it. You're obviously not a collector, so have it professionally d&t for the style of base(s) that you prefer, 1-piece Redfield turn-in or 2-piece Weaver, put a scope on it, and go have fun shooting it.

Somewhere down the line, perhaps after you've passed away, some Savage 99 collector who comes across it is likely to curse your having defiled a factory specs 99T, but why should that enter into your decision making process? You're not the steward of a national treasure, just the owner of an old gun!

Jeff

Very well said. Your "New England" is showing through!!!!!!! grin grin grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I want to thank all you fellows for your help. I am not a collector of Savage ,but do enjoy fine firearms. My collection although small by most standards is what I enjoy. I have some fine pieces of each type of firearm such as a Walther PPK RZM. LC Smith& the savage 99. Rest assured guys I will not D&T it, don't want to live the rest of my days with the devil.,Mike,send my your email address at bsganlyhotmail.com and I will send you some pictures.Now that I"ve promised to keep a 99t a virgin, anyone have a ball park value I should put on it. No extra holes, no stock splits or dings ,no rust, in other words a fine looking rifle

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Unless this gun has some special sentamental value to you, why not trade it for a "user" grade rifle that has already been drilled & tapped? I am a hunter primarily and although I appreciate a pretty, well preserved rifle......the fact that it is "untouched" is of little importance to me.

From time to time I run across a collector grade rifle and almost always I call one of my collector friends and work out a trade for a less perfect example that I can hunt with (with scope). Works out very well.....they are happy to have a collector grade rifle, while I get one to use and often enough cash thrown in so my "new" rifle is very cheap (in a few cases "free" or even at a profit). Everybody wins!!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Reminds me of a 1/2R - 1/2O 1899CD in 303 that I bought at a crappy little gun shop in Winooski, VT, 20+ years ago. The rifle was excellent, except that some cheap-ass Yankee SOB install a Lyman tang peep sight intended for a Stevens Favorite on the stock, just aft of the tang. Why, oh WHY, couldn't he have bought a peep sight that matched the factory d&t holes on the tang? WHY?

And then I realized, it was just an old gun to him!

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, I'll pay you an extra $100 more than you paid for that old, bubba'd 1899CD cuz I'm such a nice guy. I'll even throw in a meal or two at your favorite thai restaurant! grin grin grin

Speaking of which.. might call you up in a couple of weeks for lunch if you're around. Gonna be back up in your neck of the woods for a week.

Bruce, keep that rifle and buy another to shoot with. A man shouldn't have just one 99. Just ain't right. I think I even left one or two d&t 99T's out there for others to find. Maybe. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are a few pics of Bruce's rifle. There seem to be a few issues which make it a shooter, not a collector, as you will see below!!! One hell of a shooter it will be I must add...!!!

1) Wood has been lightly sanded and refinished.(at least around the inlay)

2) Inlay has been set into butt stock. (not factory)

3) White line spacers added. (not factory, but removable)

4) Rear sight not original. (replaceable)

5) Sling studs added (not factory)

6) Jeweled bolt. (not factory, so I have been informed)

7) I am 99.9% sure that it has also been reblued. (not factory)

Can't tell from the pics if the lever is Blue or case colored. You have a awesome Savage 99 hunting rifle that is all ready to hunt...!!!

Mike...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I just googled savage 99 with jeweled bolts and found a ton of articles. Why is it some popular to have the bolts jeweled especially when it decreases the value? But I quess each to his own

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
looks like she probably had a compass in the stock, to bad it wasn't left as the original owner made her.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
spartabruce, they jeweled later 99's starting in the 50's but not earlier ones. Except that it was sometimes available as a special order.. never say never.

It only decreases the value if it was done after market. Which, on a 99T, would be after market. Not fair, but now you understand 260remguy's remark about how somebody down the road will cuss the person who "personalized" a rare factory rifle.

You're still going to love the way it shoots.. Short barrel, fat forearm to hold onto.. I like 'em.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 30 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,541
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.