Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I own a 70s vintage AR-15 and a Colt 3X scope that mounts on the carry handle. I've noticed that no matter how carefully I attach the scope to the carry handle, the first round or two fired are throw-aways, after which the rifle settles down to fire very acceptable groups though certainly not in league with target grader ARs.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Question:

Is it the first 2 or 3 shots after you mount the scope, the first 2 or 3 shots ofter cleaning, or the first 2 or 3 shots every time you got to the range.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
As I don't have a suitable rifle case to carry the rifle with scope attached, I mount the scope at the range and remove it when finished shooting. Also, the rifle doesn't fit well in my safe with scope attached. It seems to me that the the first round or two seat the scope, after which you can do some serious shooting.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems to me like you answered your own question.

I would get a new case, one that holds the rifle with the scope attached, and see how it does.

If you have kids and need to secure the gun, get a locking case.

Even if you spend $100 on the case, it will be cheaper than other gunsmithing type changes.

Even if the problem persists, you still have a nice case.

Good Shooting.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its probably the mount settling in each time. No brainer here. Mount the scope, drop 3-5 of the "now cheap" ball ammo through the gun, into the dirt backstop not aimed, just pop em off and go from there.

I used to clean a bit on rifles, and before moly, each match was important, such that I knew it took 2 shots to settle the gun in regardless of cleaning methods... so I would just clean the gun at home, step out the back door and pop off 2-3 shots and go to the match the next day happy.

Even found through things like this, that some powders can follow others while the reverse is not true. but i digress as I often do.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,300
Posts18,525,972
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.