Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by goodnews

Hawkeye, I realize that as Cheyenne put it concealability and shootability are in opposition to each other here and that there is compromise all around. I'm afraid that not being a "gun-lover", if it's at all a burden she'll not carry it. I almost can not put it into words but my idea is something that she can stop a murderous attack with, at last resort, at a few feet if not inches, so if that's a reasoned approach, I'm leaning toward conealability and lightweight in favor over some discomfort and inaccuracy on shooting. However, I value your experienced opinion very much. Just trying to give some context.
Ok, but I doubt she will shoot it more than once. Without practice, especially a woman (at least we boys have been fascinated with guns since we were kids and seem to have some sort of innate abilities along those lines because of it), she can very easily miss even at close range. I've seen this. This piece of advice is the most often ignored, and people almost always have to find out on their own. Join the crowd.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Ok, thanks Hawk, all steel J-frame (type) it is. Question, is the 3-$400 more for the Smith over the Taurus worth it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with steel vs. other for the j-frame. All it will take is one bad shooting experience to make her afraid of that gun forever. A steel J is just not that heavy.

I think if you look you might be able to find a J less than $3-400 over a Taurus. I guess I wouldn't be afraid to use a Taurus if the cost differential was a real hardship.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Ok, thanks Hawk, all steel J-frame (type) it is. Question, is the 3-$400 more for the Smith over the Taurus worth it?
You can find a lightly used all steel J-Frame in good shape for a very reasonable price (call it a vintage model rather than a used gun). Just check the used gun counter at your local gun shops and pawn shops. For $20 or so a smith can sake off the hammer spur, if it's an exposed hammer model.

In answer to your question, a pre-lock Smith & Wesson is a much better gun than a Taurus. It's worth it in my opinion.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I used to always recommend a 38/357 revolver for this situation due to simplified safety issues, then I watched a young lady have to stop early on in a 50 round Handgun Carry qualification because she did not have the strength to pull the trigger after just a few cylinders full.

So we have semi autos . . . same strength based issues, I have seen females lack the strength to grip the slide or to be able to "rack it back" to load a round.

Both issues can be overcome rather easily IF the shooter is willing to do some exercise.

380 ammo is in short supply in TN (and elsewhere)because it is the new "Darling Defense" round and everyone is stocking up.

IF your daughter is lucky enough to have an indoor range where she can rent a revolver and pistol it may give her some insight into what "fits" her hand. If it does not "feel right" everything will be less successful

I absolutely HATE the fit/feel of any of the small 38 revolver grips, but Hogue or Pachmayr (Compacs) grips will correct the pitiful factory offerings.

Last edited by LouisB; 04/19/09.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Louis, beat me to it, but you can't beat renting a variety (perhaps during her first two courses) and seeing what SHE LIKES.

A reliable 1911 in 9mm or a BHP would probably be up a lot of lady's alley. The slimmer grips are very easy for most women to handle.

For dead nuts reliability, it's hard to beat a Glock 19 9mm. She may need a grip reduction...or the new S&W M&P Compact with interchangeable grips may appeal too...same same SIG P250 in 9mm.

I carry a Glock 27 and a Smith 442 every day; believe in both systems.

DO NOT GET HER A MINI .380 like the Ruger LCP. It is extremely violent in recoil for a beginner. Just about all .380s are blowback operation and the LW synthetics with short grips are no fun.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any of the Smith J-frame hammerless .38's are the ideal carry weight and size with good 'shoot ability' for anyone. I recommend changing the grip to a hogue overmold (adds more control to the pistol). The Airlights, Body Guard and the Chiefs Special are great options as well as some of the Taurus models.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984

A reliable 1911 in 9mm or a BHP would probably be up a lot of lady's alley. The slimmer grips are very easy for most women to handle.

For years I've tried to convince my wife that there's nothing sexier than a woman competently handling a large-frame, single-action auto.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My father taught my wife how to handle a 38SPL snubbie (she suddenly wanted a pistol after our 19 year old next door neighbor was raped) by placing her 5 foot away from a telephone pole and having her empty it as fast as she could into the target. I got her a Taurus Model 85 that she feels comfortable shooting.

My daughter, on the other hand, has had a 380ACP for years. I gave her my Makarov to replace her AMT Backup and she shoots regularly. She is happy with what she has but I think she could handle a 45ACP if she wanted. The Mak is accurate and reliable so she is OK with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I gotta go along with the small .38 spl.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
I gotta go along with the small .38 spl.

Me too. And since she's not "gunny", I would have her use the same gun for carry and for home - until such time as she shows an interest in really learning about different guns.

Any of the all-steel medium or small frame revolvers would do. I would tend towards at least 3" barrel models, because they are easier to aim.

If she won't practice with it or can't hit her target with it at "combat distances" it won't matter how small or light it is - she might as well not carry it.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
T
My wife and daughter both carry Charter Arms 44 Special Bulldog Pugs. For home, 12 ga. shotgun.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Nope.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My 22 yr old is running a 4" S&W Mod 10. Fits into her bag, which she claims is a purse, or into her backpack nicely. She does have the hots for a 1911 but that will be for after graduation.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Red44spl
My 22 yr old is running a 4" S&W Mod 10. Fits into her bag, which she claims is a purse, or into her backpack nicely. She does have the hots for a 1911 but that will be for after graduation.
The Model 10 is an excellent choice. Much easier to shoot effectively than a J-Frame, if you don't mind expending some extra effort and creativity to carry it. I carry a three inch, stainless, round butt, Model 10 myself.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The M10, is rarely, if ever, a bad choice.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another consideration is heavy trigger pull. All the Smith pistols I have tried lately need work to lighten the DA and SA trigger pull. Tweak the .38 Smith. Not certain but the Taurus has to be adjustable too.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have three children and one wife, none of which were born under my influence. The path I took to firearm competency was learn to shoot a K frame .22, followed by a .38 Special loaded in the .357 magnum. Alternatively, learning the semi auto functions could include a .22 conversion or simply a basic .22 semi-auto target pistol. The conversions can be expensive and touchy about ammo. If you are not doing the cleaning, go with the revolvers. After mastery, the pistols are really the best, flattest, highest capacity options. For what it's worth, my wife did start carrying a S&W Model 66 3 inch but found she loves the Kahr 40. It wasn't my first choice but way ahead of the various .380 and similar cartridges. I have a .22 LR Beretta Jetfire that the wife and kids like to shoot but the controls require some mastery and the sights are miniscule. My lesson has been to provide what my wife would carry, not what I thought was the best choice. I started to carry a .40 S&W when traveling with my wife so we could share the same box of reloads or practice ammo. Her question was, "Why is your Glock Model 35 larger and heavier than my K-40?" "Fifteen rounds vs 7 rounds and a 3 inch barrel vs a 5.3 inch barrel." were my answers. A higher capacity and better sight radius gun is only better if the shooter is willing. My wife also refused to learn the spare magazine carry drills. I clean her gun often and pray it doesn't jam if she needs it. She initially announced that a carry gun was too heavy and refused to carry it in condition one, two, or three, selecting condition four, locked in a car several hundred yards away from any place she was. She tried shoulder holsters, which she initially liked but rejected after I insisted she use one for more than a few minutes during practice sessions. A good carry holster and convincing her a belt of adequate size (thickness and width) were essentials. Now the butt of her automatic doesn't strike her in the short ribs. Girls are built different and the strong side, behind the hip carry just doesn�t work for my wife. I've never considered cross draw as a serious carry option but she carries cross draw, just another learning curve for me. My J-frame model 37 weights 12 ounces, if a women or man won't carry this much steel, defense is going to be iffy. As a graduation of force option, I have gotten my wife a high voltage Tazer type device the size of a cigarette lighter, complete with built-in charger. If she goes somewhere that doesn't allow a handgun, usually business's I don't patronize, she carries this as an alternative. Graduation of force is also a needed CCW concept. My wife has now begun to carry a folding knife when out and about, also useful for opening the mail. Lack of strength argue against a knife but it doesn't jam and can be used for other functions. As to operating the slide on an automatic, teach straight elbows and transferring the force to the shoulders, not forearms and biceps. Pull back hard enough the slide is forced from the pinched fingers, not gently placed in battery. A model with "double action only" function may be an option too, no safety to remember or controls to manipulate. Good luck with the CCW training program for your daughter. My daugher is 15 and I hope she follows her mother's example.

Last edited by Carson; 04/21/09.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the incite Carson and everyone here. There is always an additional level of going wrong when getting a CCW for someone else and at a distance. But you have to look at the facts and make a judgement on them as you see them and go from there.

I've pretty much decided on a J-frame Smith in 38 spec after talking with her at length. Though she is single she thankfully has some good married friends who have LEOs in the family or who shoot and can mentor her along a bit which I'm very thankful for.

Your kids grow up to be adults but you're always and still a parent and have concerns for them. Thanks again.

R
R
I would suggest the new Ruger LCR. Much better trigger and lighter pull than the Smiths come with. If you get a Smith j-frame, be sure to get an older model with out the safety. I agree with Carson about using a .22. My wife currently uses an older Smith model 38 with crimson trace grips. This gun replaces her much heavier .357. Both the Ruger and Smith are so small that they carry easily. I use wad cutters for my carry bullets. I would also carry a speed strip, with only five shells.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 670 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,516
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.