Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 168 of 1,842 1 2 166 167 168 169 170 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Woke up to large snow flakes this morning. At least one school was closed in Northern WI this morning. Ah Wisconsin! Seven months of winter and 5 months of tough sleding.

Talked with one of the fellows that I turkey hunt with yesterday. He said that the birds are behaving very differently this spring. Normally when you see them in a particular field they tend to stay there. Not this year. They're moving from field to field each day. Very tough to pattern.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC

I bought yet another bird feeder for the back yard.This is a two tube thistle feeder for the yellow finches.

Hope everyone has a great day today.

Stan in SC

Funny how over the last few years the term Thistle seed is replacing the term Niger seed confused

Link shocked http://www.ebirdseed.com/nyjer_niger_thistle_birdseed.html

Last edited by M1894; 04/21/09.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
politically correct bird seed?

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Stan_in_SC] Spring down here is just beautiful.All the trees now have leaved.All of the flowers are blooming.The migratory birds are starting to appear.I bought yet another bird feeder for the back yard.This is a two tube thistle feeder for the yellow finches.
I planted my tomatoes Sunday.

Can I move in with you, Stan?? grin

"I'm not crying!!"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I figured that is what the guy used the fin for...slow speed moving. I see no reason to go slow though. grin That is what the trolling motor is for.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I see the term Thistle used as much as I see Niger.I just used Thistle in case no one else was familiar with Niger.
Mrs.ND,you and the kids are most welcome any time.I think you and the Amazing Mz. Linda would get along great.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
Mrs.ND,you and the kids are most welcome any time.I think you and the Amazing Mz. Linda would get along great.

Stan

what about me??
grin

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And your name was......?

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh come on, just cause I changed my avatar to a childhood likeness of myself you don't recognize me???

grin

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wasn't looking at you.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
frown fine, I'll just wait another month & a half for when our spring time startes.

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Guess I'll wait the month and a half too...then a month later it will be fall again...ugh!

Thanks though, Stan. grin

"I'm not crying!!"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Mothers day we go & get Pam's flowers for the year, my tomato plants & pepper plants. we spend the weekend putting them in the ground, then we spend the rest of may trying to protect them from the frost at night.

grin

it's also about the time I start looking for morel mushrooms in the woods.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I used to work at a greenhouse while in HS and College, the customers used to get mad when we told them to wait until Mothers Day to put plants in the ground.

You really wern't safe until Memorial Day, and even then sometimes we go frost. crazy

June is a perfect month...not too hot, not too cold, and I get birfday presents. grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One of the members of our coffee group raises tomatoes to sell. He has a small hot house and started putting in plants at the end of March.

Wednesday was the first day of my Turkey season and it was a total bust. Didn't see a single turkey while on stand (And I only napped for a short time)

Today was a different story. Tom's were gobbling like crazy but won't come in. Saw over 20 hens and Jakes, but they stayed out of range (Hens are protected during the spring season but legal in the fall). Deer were active also. Big weather front moved in around 7:30 and it started hailing. Around 9:00 AM it started to rain hard so I hung it up. Will try it again Friday morning.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
good luck, keep after it & try to take some pictures for us.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Bill, you should have ridden to work with me....I drilled a big ol buzzer at 7:30 this am with my truck just north of Wausau. First time I've done that. I hit him with the drivers side tire and squished em pretty good.

I consider that pretty good luck, my FIL hit 2 in 2 weeks, square in the windshield. crazy

Now that I think of it, there were a lot of those buggers out this am.

Do you hunt fields or woods? On the rainy, crappy days, I see more of them out in the middle of the fields. I find them tough to hunt like that, they seem to do their own thing and stay away from the woods it seems. On the rainy days, they seem to stay in the trees forever too.

One of the reasons I like hunting them...you never know what the heck they're going to do.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dave, You bet I'll take pictures if I get one.

Forgot to mention that the property owner where I'm hunting got a turkey yesterday with 5 beards. The main beard was about 10 inches. The others ranged from 2 to 3.5 inches.

Tom, I'm hunting a little of everything. My current blind overlooks a small food plot, a marsh and a stand of pines. This morning the birds were out in the Marsh and than headed up into the pines when the wind picked up. Rain, unless it's a dowwn pour doesn't seem to bother turkeys and they'll stay in the fields, but they don't like strong winds and tend to head for heavy cover when it gets real windy.

Your lucky you didn't damage your truck. I've seen the damage a turkey can do and it's not pretty. Like hitting a flying 20 lb bowling ball.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

Forgot to mention that the property owner where I'm hunting got a turkey yesterday with 5 beards.

I know what that's like.

this morning when i got up to take a shower. I had 5 beards.

Now I only planned for enough time to shave 1 beard, so i was really in a bind.

I did pretty well considering how fast i had to work, i managed to shave 3 of the 5 beards & only had to go to work today with 2 beards. Which was way less embarassing than showing up with 5 beards I can tell you that for sure.

laugh

Something clever here.

Page 168 of 1,842 1 2 166 167 168 169 170 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,309
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.