-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My friend's recently acquired CZ-52 gave us a problem when we were examining it for the first time:

We were feed testing it, hand cycling rounds of the Bulgarian ammo we bought cans of through it...
(w/firing pin removed)
About the 6th of the first clipload a round stuck firmly in the chamber refusing to be extracted. confused
Had to break down the pistol and knock out the stuck one from the muzzle.

Hand fitting several rounds to the breech of the removed barrel I noted tightness from several and repeated sticking from the original problem one.
The same Bulgarian mil-surp from my tin cycles through my blued, re-arsenaled CZ without a hitch. whistle

His pistol was sold as "unissued" and it looks it... Very fresh general appearence, nearly flawless parkerizing, almost too crisp action of moving parts and few maufacturer/arsenal markings.
Eyeballing the chamber it does look a might coarse, so I suspect that's the culprit.
I'm hoping to get it smoothed out by polishing.

I was thinking of making chamber hones by pulling bullets from a couple rounds, depriming the cases, drilling out the primer pockets and installing a machine screw/stud as an arbor.
Would then coat the case with lapping compound and twirl the tool in the rough chamber.
I've 120, 220, 320 and 600 grit compound on hand.

Hoping to hear from someone who's also experienced this difficulty and/or know of the best remedy.

Last edited by Hammerspur; 04/20/09.

Steve
-----------------------------------
"Boys enjoy the misery of their companions and in later life I have found that all adults are not free from that peculiarity."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't had any similar trouble with either of my used CZ-52s. I believe I would see how different ammo behaved in the gun before trying any chamber polishing.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...If I polished the chamber, as you've described,I'd be sure to used unfired brass. It seems like a good plan to me, using very fine grit abrasive polishing compound. Don't over do it, a light polish ought to suffice.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
I haven't had any similar trouble with either of my used CZ-52s. I believe I would see how different ammo behaved in the gun before trying any chamber polishing.

You haven't seen this chamber! shocked

Originally Posted by olhippie
...If I polished the chamber, as you've described,I'd be sure to used unfired brass. It seems like a good plan to me, using very fine grit abrasive polishing compound. Don't over do it, a light polish ought to suffice.

As I said, it'll be unfired, but resized would do the same.
I'll be eyeballing it real good, cleaning and trying rounds for fit as I proceed. wink

Last edited by Hammerspur; 04/21/09.

Steve
"Boys enjoy the misery of their companions and in later life I have found that all adults are not free from that peculiarity."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Unissued Barrels for those CZ's sell for reasonable prices. So you don't stand to lose much by giving the chamber a polishing.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You really wouldn't even need to do the whole fired case thing. just get an old brush and wrap it with some steel wool, throw a small amount of flitz or simichrome on there and chuck it in a power drill.

zip it a touch, and test. zip it again, and test until good.

The amount of metal you're talking about removing is minimal, so going through all that trouble seems a little excessive.

NRA Life Member
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
BTW,
The gun is very robust, I'd shoot it before tinkering.
The 7.62 x 25 rounds are hot (and I don't mean the sub-gun ones) and the roller lock-up reliable.

If the extractor rips the case rim, then tinker.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dons1
Unissued Barrels for those CZ's sell for reasonable prices. So you don't stand to lose much by giving the chamber a polishing.

10-4! [Linked Image]
http://whatacountry.com/cz52barrel762x25.aspx
Besides, I don't plan on botching it!

Originally Posted by Savage2005
just get an old brush and wrap it with some steel wool, throw a small amount of flitz or simichrome on there and chuck it in a power drill.zip it a touch, and test. zip it again, and test until good.

I'm aware of that method, but IMO an equally judicious approach w/case lap would yield more consistent, concentric results. grin

Originally Posted by Savage2005
The amount of metal you're talking about removing is minimal, so going through all that trouble seems a little excessive.
Yup, minimal metal removal, just what I plan to do. cool

Trouble?... pull a bullet, knock a primer, drill a hole... child's play. whistle
The brush/steel wool/polish lick isn't all that much much easier.
Besides tinkering is half the fun! wink

Last edited by Hammerspur; 04/23/09.

Steve
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here's a pic of the chamber lap I made for working on my friend's barrel:
[Linked Image]

Here's a good chamber:
[Linked Image]

Here's the chamber in question:
[Linked Image] shocked

See any call for a little cleaning up? laugh

Steve
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If thaat cartridge headspaces on the shoulder watch your lapping process as inserting the case into the chamber will put the most pressure on the case mouth and shoulder.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Savage, I believe it headspaces on the case mouth like many other pistol rounds, but I plan to be very cautious in any event.
Probably just paste the compound on the case wall aft of the shoulder turning with minimal forward thrust to see how that works out.
Close (magnified) examination reveals that's where most of the problem coarseness lies.

The shoulder area looks fine, but the neck also looks 'scruffy'... smirk
... so that might need some TLC too.

Last edited by Hammerspur; 04/24/09.

Steve
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm done with my friend's chamber!
Came out good, feeds and shucks without a hitch now and no slop. wink

Steve

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,796
Posts18,496,236
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.