Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Anyone have experience with Leupold 6x32 Katmai. Cabela's has them on sale and I have thought this might be perfect for use in the whitetail woods. My Swarovski 8.5 EL's just have too much power to look at a deer 100 yds away, through a thicket.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
VA,

I don't own a pair but I have used them on one or two occasions. I am also aware of several reviews out there that rank them very highly. The little Katmais are excellent bins in terms of image quality within the most compact size for a 32 mm glass. They truly are the length of some of those little 21-25 mm compacts but in a fatter package.

Great bins in my opinion.

Frank
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Anyone have experience with Leupold 6x32 Katmai. Cabela's has them on sale and I have thought this might be perfect for use in the whitetail woods. My Swarovski 8.5 EL's just have too much power to look at a deer 100 yds away, through a thicket.

Funny you mention the 6x32 Katmai's in 6x32. I was looking thru the Cabela's catalog yesterday and saw them on sale. I have a similar situation here with heavy cover and low power binox needs. Am thinking about getting a pair just for our northern Michigan swamp hunting, but really know nothing about them. I've gotten two pairs of 7x42's, but they are heavy and I'd like something lighter for carrying. I do think a light pair of 6x's would even be better than the 7x's I have now.
The Katmai's are in a price range where they "should" have very good glass??? grin

And, Leupold's warranty is tops if anything goes wrong with them.

Don

Edit to add: Frank was typing at the same time I was, so I didn't heve the benefit of his experience with them. Frank is always right on!

Last edited by DMB; 04/22/09.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too funny. Have a pair too (bought used), are in storage back home and haven't had a chance to try out yet either. Got for the same reasons: wide fov for use in forest / relatively dense cover in a "compact" but not toy-sized binoc. We'll see....

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carried a pair for quite some time, really enjoyed them and would own another pair in a heart beat.

The only challenge here for me with the idea of owning another set is that my 6x30 Leo Yo's are so good and go for sub 100 bones that that would make it tough for me to justify.

It seemed to me that when looking at longer distances out here that I would have to refocus the Katmai's more than the Yosemte's. But in the woods and or at shorter ranges that would be a non issue IME.

Good luck to ya, if you buy a pair I am fairly sure you'll really like them.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Anyone have experience with Leupold 6x32 Katmai.

I don't know a great deal about binos and all the particulars that go with them. I will say I got a pair of those a year ago and love them for my needs. I mostly hunt woods and they are great for that(to me). I think you will like them.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
How good is the depth of field over the 6X Yo's?

Also, do the Lupy cascade porros have as good a depth of field?

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
VAHunter

I happen to be in agreement with Dober here. The Yosemite has a deeper depth of focus and a bit better 3-D depth of image feeling than the Katmai. I think that when precisely focused on the same object, the Katmai has a bit better image, but in overall use the difference doesn't seem to be there. Also for less than $100, you can try the 6x for less than a third of the Katmai price to see if it works for you. You will probably be surprised just how useful 6x can be, I sure was.

Last edited by SteveC99; 04/22/09.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I when ahead and order the Katmai 6x from Cabela's. I agree that you could most likely get as good a binocular in the Yosemite, it being a porro type which I understand you get more for your money for, but I like the compact size of the roof prism style. They seem to fit in a pocket better and I don't like something hanging around my neck while I am on stand.

Those of you who responded with your experiences, I give thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll like the Kat's and here's a bit of trivia for you.

Kats weigh=18.2 oz
height=4.1"
FOV @ 1K= 425'

Yo's weight=17 oz
height=4.6"
FOV @ 1K= 420'

Have a super day!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Mark,

As you point out Kats and the Yo's are extremely similar in specs, except for the width which is 4.75" for the Katmai, and 6.30" for the Yosemite's. Of course the increased width on the Yo is due to the dog leg design of the porro.

The the 1.55" less width for the Katmai is what makes it much easier to carry in a coat pocket, and is the reason I went with the Katmai.

I found I would not carry my Swaro EL's in the whitetail woods due to size, weight, and it was hard to hold steady with one hand. I like to still hunt slowly, while glassing ahead, and I hope this lighter 6x glass will allow me to use with one hand while holding the rifle in the other.

This is the plan, but it will not be the first time I spent money on a plan that did not work.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mark,

I like to still hunt slowly, while glassing ahead, and I hope this lighter 6x glass will allow me to use with one hand while holding the rifle in the other.

VA,

You might enjoy this read.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16435

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Leupold dropped the price on the Katmai's, they might sell better IMHO.

The Vortex Raptors are another Porro for around a C note, and I also was tossing around the Viper 6x32/Fury 6.5x and new 7x36 Diamondback coming out. They might compare very well for less money.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'll take either the Leupold 6x30 Yosemites or the Minox 6.5x32 IFs over the Katmais (and have, three times now).

Easily.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Just bought the Pentex 9x28 DCF LV for the same purpose. Really like it. Just 11 oz, great optics and less than $200.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was looking at those Pentax at the Shot Show, wish they'd make some in 6-7x for closer work, seems they'd be brighter and steadier to view thru. I'll have to research the Minox further VA, visited their booth but don't recall handling those.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by 65BR
I was looking at those Pentax at the Shot Show, wish they'd make some in 6-7x for closer work, seems they'd be brighter and steadier to view thru. I'll have to research the Minox further VA, visited their booth but don't recall handling those.

Call Doug @ Cameraland.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, Doug is my 'go to vendor/info person' and I actually had him in mind on Minox as well, thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 6x32mm and they have become my deep woods/swamp deer binos.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Are the Rangers with SRT coatings all that much better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 17CalFan, 28 invisible), 1,343 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.